INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "No signal" when sharing live TV from server  (Read 2558 times)

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
"No signal" when sharing live TV from server
« on: December 09, 2012, 03:00:00 pm »

I have a library server running MC18. I have two laptops which can successfully view live TV through this library server without having any knowledge of the existence of tuners. Works great. So I finally decided to make the jump with my main HTCP...

The main HTPC is running MC17 and knows about the network TV tuners. It works. I installed MC18, told it to not do an auto-import (so its main library is blank). Set it to use my library server's library. Everything works except Live TV. If I try to view live TV, all of the channels are there and the guide information is there, but after a few seconds it says "no signal". Again, this exact scenario works on my laptops. The only difference is that this machine used to have MC17 on it and this machine knows about the turners (although the instance of MC18 doesn't know about the tuners, directly). Also, if I hit the up/down arrows to view the signal strength, it says 100% (or 99, or 93, it changes), so it's obviously getting some information other than no signal at all.

What's going on? Thanks.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: "No signal" when sharing live TV from server
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 03:25:18 pm »

The client uses local tuner if available.  Networked tuners like HDHomerun is considered a local tuner.

"No signal" error probably indicates that the client is trying to use a local tuner but could not tune to the channel.  If you do not want the client to try using local tuners, go to Television options and select each tuner that appears in the Devices list and set its tuner type to something that you will never use (for example set it to DVB-T if you live in ATSC land, and vice versa).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 10:08:25 pm »

Thanks for the quick response. I changed the type of all the tuners from ATSC to DVB-T, and instead of getting a No Signal error I got a Something Went Wrong with Playback error the first time I tried. I think it crashed library server because all my recordings tonight didn't happen. Subsequent tries haven't worked, even after restarting library server.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:38:22 am »

Not sure what is going on.  You can send me the logs (both server's and client's).  yaobing at jriver dot com

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 10:08:57 pm »

Sorry, I didn't really have time to troubleshoot so I uninstalled HDHomeRun software and then it worked. Oddly, the tuners still show up in the list inside MC on my client. Is there a way to get rid of those? Anyway, it works for now. Thanks.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 08:54:53 am »

Sorry, I didn't really have time to troubleshoot so I uninstalled HDHomeRun software and then it worked.

That's OK.  Glad you have gotten it to work.

Oddly, the tuners still show up in the list inside MC on my client. Is there a way to get rid of those? Anyway, it works for now. Thanks.

Other people have reported this also.  I guess the HDHomerun uninstall did not remove the driver, or did not remove it completely.  There is no way in MC to remove them.  We list all devices that DirectShow gives us.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 09:18:20 am »

Sorry for the late response.  I have had similar issues with the HDHomerun tuners, now that MC supports streaming live tv from the server.  I also had to uninstall the HDHomerun tuners from the clients, so that they did not showup.  There are a bunch of registry entries that are not removed when HDHomerun uninstalls.  I did a registry search on SiliconDust and removed most of the entries that seemed to apply.  This worked for me.

I hope this helps,

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up