INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real Beginner Here!!!  (Read 8292 times)

Pike

• Recent member
Real Beginner Here!!!
« on: December 10, 2012, 10:09:35 am »

Hey folks,

My first post here and hopefully easy to understand as I'm a bit confused about a few things.

I'm running MC17 on my desktop computer in my home office (in my basement).  I have Audioengine 5+ speakers with an Audioengine D1 DAC running through my USB.  My homebuilt PC has an Intel i5 CPU, Gigabyte board, Radeon HD 5750 video card (2 DVI/1 HDMI with dual 24" monitors via the DVI outputs...I do CAD/GIS work), an ASUS Xonar DG sound card (not currently used because the 5+) and tons of storage.  All backed up daily.

My family room is just outside my office.  My setup includes an LG 50" plasma (50PQ10 720p), a Sony STR DE595 audio receiver, a Phillips Blue-Ray player, WDLive (network shares used through a router/switch setup) and a DUAL 714Q turntable running through a Behringer preamp because the receiver doesn't have a phone preamp.  All this is sound through a pair JBL2800 loudspeakers (I know they are old but they sound good).

Here's what I'd like to happen:

WDLive is handy but very limited when compared to MC17.  I think it has served it's purpose for now.  I would like to connect my computer to the audio setup I have in the family room.  In other words...watch MC17 through the plasma while the sound going through my audio amp.  All this without loosing anything I currently have on my desktop as I spend a lot of time there.

Is this possible?  If so, can someone steer me in the right direction where I can find instructions or text where most of this will be explained.  I'm not a complete noob when it comes to this but my biggest flaw has always been the newest interconnections available today (including the MC remote).  I don't know anyone personally who is interested in music as I am so I can't get help there.  I have 200GB of music and one 1TB of movies.  I've been collecting and buying for several years now.  Music and my movies are my stress relievers (more music than movies).

If you need more information or specs, please feel free to ask.

Thank you,

Pike

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Real Beginner Here!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 12:32:10 pm »

All right, there's a lot of extraneous information here I'm going to try and cut through:

I'm running MC17 on my desktop computer in my home office (in my basement).

My family room is just outside my office.  A Sony STR DE595 audio receiver and WDLive.

I would like to connect my computer to the audio setup I have in the family room.  In other words...watch MC17 through the plasma while the sound going through my audio amp.  All this without loosing anything I currently have on my desktop as I spend a lot of time there.

OK a few options:

For full MC17 experience:

1. Run HDMI from your office desktop to the family room. Also run a USB IR or RF remote cable from the computer to the family room to be able to control MC from the family room. Use zones to control output selection (office vs. family room). Pros: Cheap, robust, energy efficient. Cons: Have to run cable, may run into some problems with multitasking on office PC while playing video in the family room (especially with CAD software).
2. Build a dedicated HTPC and use library server to access the desktop MC library. Pros: Robust. Cons: Not cheap, will need both PCs running if you are accessing files remotely. Could duplicate libraries as a backup-replacement onto both machines.

For partial MC17 experience:

1. Set up the WD Live as a DLNA device in MC17. Access MC17 via your phone, tablet, or laptop to control playback in your living room. Pros: Easy, cheap. Cons: You lose MC17 theater view, WDLive is sometimes hit or miss for video playback.

There are other options to save some work (wireless display, wi-fi enabled remote (or Synergy)) but these will raise the cost dramatically, and I wouldn't necessarily call them "robust" options.

Pike

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 01:46:54 pm »

Thanks Bryanhoop for the quick response.

I don't intend to do CAD while doing something in the family room.  That's my purpose...get away from CAD!!!! It's just me down here.  Kids are long gone and the wife only comes down here to watch a movie once in while.  She has her own setup upstairs and the dreaded facebook to keep her occupied.

The idea of running cable is feasible but how long of HDMI am I allowed before I encounter signal loss?  I've read too many different opinions on the internet that I'm not really sure.  I've estimated 30 feet to the plasma and my ceiling is still open so no problem there.  Also, you're suggesting I run the HDMI directly from my video card to the TV?  Easy enough.  JRiver remote is something I looked at but it's IR which requires direct line-of-sight to operate.  I'll look into RF ones.

WDLive was good to access my files but want the MC theatre view especially for music as I'm customizing quite a bit.  Might set it up upstairs for the wife and her big screen.  Running an HTPC is also possible as I have the gear but need an OS.

Sorry about the extraneous info...just wanted make sure the info was there in case someone needed it for comment.  Actually I type a lot more than I will actually talk in a day :)

rjm

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 01:56:40 pm »

I bought this high quality low cost 25' HDMI cable. Works perfect.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=20749&vpn=HDMI-MM-25&manufacture=nGear%20Technologies%20Inc.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 05:44:54 pm »

I just saw that your A/V receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs. In this case you would run HDMI to your TV, and then optical out (set the TV to "pass-thru" or the equivalent) from your TV to the receiver. You will be limited to DD or DTS and will need to set video audio to bitstream in MC. You will lose some features of MC, like videoclock, but that will be the only way to get multi-channel audio. In order to get all of your speakers to play 2-channel audio, you will need to let your A/V receiver to apply faux surround-sound to the 2-channel PCM, because MC will not be able to pass multichannel sound without re-encoding (not a great option, but there if your receiver has poor surround-sound effects).

As far as length goes, you should have no problems running 30-50ft. Get a nice cable from monoprice or something. You can run a USB extension cable at about the same range for an IR receiver, but you'll probably want a cheap powered hub at the end.

Pike

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 07:57:16 pm »

I'm looking to spend a few bucks now...tried a few things including Gizmo (through a Galaxy Note) and setting up zones with different outputs.  I had my amp set up to work through optical and it's still not what I want.  The sound wasn't the same...something was missing.  Anyways, I'm old and patience runs thin these days...Gizmo and the amp didn't cut for me.  Call me picky.

List:

New amp
HTPC (need OS and PS)
Remote

Thanks for the input :)

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 02:15:11 am »

If you choose Gizmo to order the HTPC to play back something locally, the music should not be altered in ANY way as far as I know. If you play from one computer, and send the music to another computer, there should be possible to stop all conversions of the music. Not touching the original format. Then it should be up to the settings on the client to determine the sound quality on the output. Perhaps there's some DLNA limitations that I'm not aware of here? If you play music through gizmo, then you will obviously hit some limitations. Speakers on the phone/pad for one. But I don't think that was your problem.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Pike

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 06:29:00 pm »

What I found different was through HDMI (from computer to TV/Amplifier).  First, I had to alter the output to HDMI digital for the zone I created then change the audio from the TV to output to the amp.  I had optical output from TV to amp.  Maybe I was missing something but everything I played sounded dead flat.  My other alternative was to provide output from the sound card to the amp but didn't have the length of 1/8 jack to phono to the back of the amp.  I'm still trying to draw some schematics to see how I can do this.  So far, HTPC directly linked to the amp (new one soon) is the way I'm looking at.  Also looking the MC remote because the Harmony one I would like is way to expensive (the Touch) for my taste.

The schematic looks like a basic setup that most people have with HTPC.  I just didn't want to re-build my old pc (which is still good) and have another box next the stand.  Noise is an issue for me so maybe an specific HTPC case with soundproofing would help.  I guess I should of started this way and planned it better before jumping in and getting shot down first try :)  Bad habit...that's why I'm still with the wife  :o

btw, I wasn't even considering playing anything through a smartphone (but still a phone).  That would kill me.  I'd rather listen to dead silence.

gappie

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 06:47:31 pm »

I guess I should of started this way and planned it better before jumping in and getting shot down first try :)  Bad habit...that's why I'm still with the wife  :o

so you love her.. that is good.

but im still not sure about the setup. why not use a client-server setup from office to family room..

:)
gab

csimon

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 04:19:59 am »

Also, you're suggesting I run the HDMI directly from my video card to the TV?  Easy enough.  JRiver remote is something I looked at but it's IR which requires direct line-of-sight to operate.  I'll look into RF ones.
I'm using an "IR Injector" on my long HDMI cable from one room to another. It's a passive device that simply adds an IR receiver to the HDMI socket at one end and a transmitter at the other.  It works well. e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cablesson-Injector-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B005KLROCG

scgt1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 02:06:28 pm »

I too would like JRiver to output from the computer to a tv but still allow the computer to be used in the process. There is speak in this thread of the zones yet I see nothing about the video output setting in such zones to set which display actually gets the signal. Audio was so easy to send just to my living room TV.

Simple setting under video that you select the output on would be ideal.

Not using all the IR stuff as it's not necessary when I have an android. Gizmo tickles my fancy and works just fine to start Theater view and navigate it.

Castius

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 03:21:04 pm »

I hate it but most TVs mix down audio to 2 channels. I haven't looked it up it but it feel like some kind of digital rights limitation

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 03:43:48 pm »

I too would like JRiver to output from the computer to a tv but still allow the computer to be used in the process. There is speak in this thread of the zones yet I see nothing about the video output setting in such zones to set which display actually gets the signal. Audio was so easy to send just to my living room TV.

Simple setting under video that you select the output on would be ideal.

Not using all the IR stuff as it's not necessary when I have an android. Gizmo tickles my fancy and works just fine to start Theater view and navigate it.
Please use the thread you started:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83603.msg570923#msg570923
Pages: [1]   Go Up