INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist location question  (Read 2002 times)

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
Playlist location question
« on: December 10, 2012, 10:46:02 am »

Hi. Some time ago, I copied all my playlists to an external harddrive, to make Logitech Squeezebox get its playlists from somewhere else then inside of my JRiver folder on C:\\.
Then I realized, that when opening an album in MediaCenter, some files (the ones also included in playlists) would appear twice, the second located on my EHD. I deleted my playlists from the C:/Users/MyName/App Data etc. folder, to do a export all playlists from the EHD back to the C folder. Still, all my playlists files will have the filename i.e. "\\MYBOOKWORLD\Public\Music\Classical\". Is there a way to avoid this, except deleting the EHD playlists and use only the C/Library/Playlists, thus keeping the files from appearing twice in MC?

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
Re: Playlist location question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 11:49:05 am »

Maybe I should try to put this a little simpler:
- my playlists are stored on an external hard disk
- my files are stored on my computer
- thus, when listing my music, the files that are also included in my playlists, will appear twice; one with a D/My Documents/My Music path, another with a MYBOOKWORLD\\ path.
- this is annoying
- is there a workaround?

Cheers,
Ole K

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 01:53:31 pm »

You might consider using consistent path formats in MC.  Either use UNC paths, or use Windows paths, but not both.  To MC, these look different.

You can configure MC's auto-import to not import your playlist folder.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 02:07:45 pm »

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the path format issue. Nor do I know where or how to change it, so I'd best leave that for now.
My playlist folder was not listed under the watched folders, when trying to change the auto import settings.

MrC

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:39:40 pm »

If you want to use UNC paths, configure Auto-import to use those, instead of Windows paths.  That way, your playlists will just work.

Otherwise, you'll need to configure your playlist generation software to use Windows paths.  You can use mapped drives and configure SBS or LMS to use those.  This way, all your music is visible across the network as, for example, M:\Music.  But this obviously won't work if your SBS/LMS server is running on a *nix box and you're using native paths (vs. samba paths).

If MC has both path formats, and auto-import wasn't configured to find the playlists, at some point you must have imported the playlists.  You can remove the duplicate file entries in MC by simply using the Search box in Wizard mode (to make it easier for you) and query against the Filename (path) field, searching for files that start with your UNC path.  Then you can select the results, and hit Delete to remove them from MC's database.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 02:52:30 pm »

I'm a bit uncertain here, but as MC displays both path formats, I guess that means it "has" them, right? But if I remove the UNC format paths, the files will also be removed from my playlists, as they are displayed at the moment. So I suppose I somehow will have to make MC go to my PC (windows path format) to find my playlists. (Now ONLY the UNC files are located within my playlist folders in MC.)

MrC

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 02:59:27 pm »

Right - if you want to use your current playlists, then MC will have to have the UNC-referenced files in its database ("has them").

It is easy enough to generally do a find/replace on the paths in a playlist to change the path components.  This may be a convenience option for you.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 03:07:19 pm »

Find/Replace!! Off course! Great idea!
Hopefully, this will be my last post on this topic, so I thank you a lot! :)
I also learned something new about path formats!
Again; thanks a lot! :)

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 03:14:54 pm »

Ah - but now it seems that "Filename" is not on the list of replaceable fields . . . . ?

MrC

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 03:19:48 pm »

I'd use an external editor.

The MC Rename, Move & Copy fields tools is used to change Filename (either physically, or only in the Library).   I'm not certain what happens when you use that tool on a playlist - but I suspect the referenced files are changed, rather than just the contents of the playlist.  So, this is why I suggest an external editor for this.  Then you can re-import the new playlists, and they will be happy.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 03:21:01 pm »

Thanks again. I'll give it another try! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up