INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Analyzing optical disc" revisited  (Read 2069 times)

sdykes

• Recent member
"Analyzing optical disc" revisited
« on: December 10, 2012, 03:27:27 pm »

I've recently started using JRiver as a video playing / storage thing, previously only for audio.  But now that I've got a new HDTV, jriver is even more a hit at my house!

However, on one box (at my media center) I have a few problems ripping DVD's.....I can get it to work OK, but I generally need to reboot between rips.  On another computer my son runs, all is OK.

On the same box as I have ripping trouble with (media center box), and ONLY on one DVD (Transformers 2), I get this Analyzing optical disc message FOREVER --- it never stops.  On the other computer it is OK.  The DVD also plays just fine with Windows Media Player.  The box is running on Windows 7-32 (x86).  I found this problem with MC 18.0.90, but I've installed MC 17 again and this doesn't help.  Again the other computer running this (but using Windows 7-64) has no problem.....This would seem to be MC problem, since Windows Media Player sails through this with flying colors.  And BTW, I've set Windows and JRiver MC to "do nothing" on DVD insertion.

Until I manually eject the DVD, JRiver MC will stay "locked up" -- opening Task Manager won't even unscrew it, just ejecting it.  Now without JRiver running, inserting the DVD will result in nothing strange, and just plays on demand when I start Windows Media Player.

I've seen reference to this error before, but no resolution...Is something in the registry hosed up?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: "Analyzing optical disc" revisited
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:36:31 pm »

If you're ripping, you'll have better luck if you install a reader like AnyDVD or DVDFab Passkey.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sdykes

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:45:42 pm »

Not really concerned with ripping, but only playing....

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 03:51:17 pm »

However, on one box (at my media center) I have a few problems ripping DVD's

Not really concerned with ripping, but only playing....

I'm confused.

sdykes

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:03:07 pm »

I'm just saying I also had some problems with certain other DVD's when ripping....they would rip, but often require a reboot between rips.  This info was just FYI only.

Since then, I've decided to abandon ripping for now, since it takes too much hard drive space....I'll just play the DVD's.

But that one DVD won't play in JRiver, just hangs "analyzing".....while Windows Media Player has no problems.

And on 2 other computers, JRiver works fine with that same Transformers 2 DVD that is giving me fits.  So there's something wrong with JRiver that is broken on that one box, or some codec or something that's not being installed, whatever.....

gappie

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 04:11:48 pm »

several years ago i bought anydvd. you can use that with mc. not to rip, but too play dvds too. some dvds have so much crap to 'protect' them from ripping that programs have an hard time chewing on them. with anydvd the problem is solved and much more (trailers or dvd warnings, or a dvd in an other region). the updates have been free ever since. never had any regrets buying that little piece of software, it belongs in the toolbox. :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 04:12:03 pm »

If other DVDs play, I can't explain why one DVD would hang in MC but work in WMP.  It's even more confusing if that same DVD works in other MCs.

You could try different options in Options > Video (HW acceleration, Red October mode, etc.).

It's also possible it is some DRM or region garbage, and a reader would fix the problem.

sdykes

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 08:25:25 am »

Well I loaded AnyDVD, and that fixed the problem......even the DVD I couldn't rip will rip now.

OK -- there's a lot I don't understand about DVD's and copy protection, but what i really don't understand is what MC won't play the DVD when WMP will.  Hmmmm....lets see.....I paid $$ for MC and $0 for WMP.  I'm just sayin'..........yea, I rad the Wiki on DVD playing and problems, and again there's a lot I don't understand about copy protection, licensing of decoders, etc.

Anyway, overall MC is a great product.  Keep up the good work!!!

One other question for anyone out there, about DVD/Blu-ray in general:  is there any way to compress DVD's/Blu-ray's any more without quality loss, or are they already compressed.  I use FLAC files in audio to get lossless compression, but can the same be done for DVD/BR?  I have a feeling they're already compressed :'(.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up