INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I keep all the tagging info after transfering files to an external HD?  (Read 1009 times)

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi guys!  I am going to be transferring a lot of music files from my computer to an external HD here soon because my computer hard drive is getting full.  I put a lot of time and information into my tagging to give as much information as possible.  I tried moving a couple of folders to my external just to see what would happen before I made a huge move.  After I moved them from one HD to the other and imported them again some of the tagging fields did not carry over.  i.e. Lyrics, Origin, Country, play counts, and a few more.

I also wanted to make sure I am going to be doing this right, as I am not real computer friendly but I have managed to become somewhat familiar with how MC works.  :-\

My plan is to first MOVE all the files that I want off my computer's hard drive to my external hard drive.  Then I was planning on deleting the files from MC's library, and then importing them again from the external. BUT,  I bet there is a easier way to do this and be able to keep all the tag information, play counts, etc.  but I haven't figured out how to do it.   You would think all that information is stored somewhere in a file on my computer, so why isnt it transferring over?  

I appreciate any advice, comments, tips, or ideas that might be better or just flat out telling me I am doing it all wrong!!  I am a work in progress trying to figure this all out.   ;D  Thanks so much!!
Don't fix it if it ain't broken!  If it's broken and you can't fix it, shoot it!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

The wiki has a topic called "Moving Files".

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck

The wiki has a topic called "Moving Files".

My apologies Jim, I swear I looked everywhere for that exact thing in the Wiki.  Its not been my week   :(    Thanks so much!
Don't fix it if it ain't broken!  If it's broken and you can't fix it, shoot it!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I'd also recommend Jim's suggestion of moving the files using MC not Explorer as it keeps your library up to date without having to delete and re-import.  The other thing you may find handy is that you can write your library info back into the tags on the files themselves.  Select the tracks in MC then Right Click --> Library Tools --> Update Tags from Library.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Experiment with the Library Tool called "Rename, Move, Copy".  If you select Directory, and fill in something like [Artist]\[Album], it will create directories if necessary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up