INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDHomeRun Prime - any updates?  (Read 13561 times)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
HDHomeRun Prime - any updates?
« on: December 13, 2012, 11:55:14 am »

Any updates on whether the HDHomeRun Prime will be supported?  I ordered cable, so I am forced to go to a cable card setup, which means right now, I am back on WMC...which is OK, but not great. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: HDHomeRun Prime - any updates?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 01:52:58 pm »

CableCard requires all sorts of software compromises due to the DRM, and also requires a SUBSTANTIAL investment from the software vendor (fees and licensing to CableLabs).

JRiver hasn't ruled it out, and I believe that Yaobing has a Ceton card for testing, but it isn't a simple thing at all.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 02:19:15 pm »

In my case, I am looking for support for just the copy freely stations, which for me is everything.  NextPVR and MythTV both have it working, so it can't be that expensive, as both of those are free options.

mm0

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 02:30:14 pm »

Supporting only Copy Freely is possible with some elbow grease and open source helpers.

It almost certainly violates a ton of patents to do so (which is why you don't usually see it with commercial software where there is someone to sue), but that could happen.

In my case, Time Warner has almost zero copy freely channels, so that's pretty useless to me.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 02:35:25 pm »

well...is there a way to use WMC to record TV, but still allow for time shifting in MC18?  I'm guessing no, but thought I would ask...

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 02:51:59 pm »

As glynor said, we are looking into it.  If I get something going with Ceton, I will take a look at Prime too.  But, I am slow on this right now.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

j30sailor

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 10:45:14 am »

I think people are responding to this post without taking into account Silicon Dusts HDHomeRun Pirme's announced support for DLNA.  They are saying they will be a DLNA digital media server delivering live TV and supposedly for copy freely channels any DLNA renderer will work.  Protected content will require DTCP-IP capable devices.

I believe this is a great opportunity for JRiver Media Center.

I've attached the announcement below.

Silicon Dust Announcement

Project:Connect , Phase 1 – Access
Pleasanton, CA – December 4, 2012 – Silicondust USA, Inc., innovators of the HDHomeRun® network attached TV tuners, today announced the first DLNA Certified® live TV Digital Media Server (DMS). As phase one of Project:Connect, SiliconDust’s live TV DMS brings premium cable TV to DLNA Certified® and UPnP devices in the home.

“HDHomeRun Project:Connect targets live TV access on every screen in the home,” said Theodore Head, President and CEO of Silicondust USA. “Our interoperability roadmap includes leading Smart TV’s, Network Connected Media Devices, Game Consoles, Smart Phones, and Tablets including iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile.”

The phase 1 release will be available to new and existing HDHomeRun® Prime customers later this month via the HDHomeRun website. After installing the upgrade owners can browse the channel list and play live TV on MPEG2-capable Digital Media Player (DMP) and Digital Media Renderer (DMR) devices. Protected channels are supported on DTCP-IP capable devices such as the Sony Play Station 3.

“We are heading into an exciting TV technology year which will see TV access on a wide range of screens and form-factors” said Nick Kelsey, CTO of Silicondust USA Inc. “We are expanding our product line and will be announcing a number of live TV apps at CES”.

New and existing HDHomeRun® Prime users can sign up for announcement information: http://www.silicondust.com/ext/mailinglist . Customers can submit feedback and connect with the HDHomeRun® community via the Project:Connect forum: http://www.silicondust.com/ext/forum ; on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hdhomerun ; or via Twitter: https://twitter.com/HDHomeRun_US .

Alittleharrisy

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 02:30:27 pm »

Bump--

Would also like to know if CableCard support is imminent--would love to be able to dump WMC.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 02:50:31 pm »

We're getting close to support for Ceton.

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 10:59:13 am »

That's fantastic news!

mmain1

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 12:28:38 pm »

That's fantastic news!

I too am anxiously awaiting Ceton support!

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
  • music, SCUBA, movies, VR, multimedia, PCs
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 09:58:39 am »

Is the HDHomeRun Prime fully supported at this point (including encrypted channels)?

If encrypted channels are not supported is there any hope they will be soon?

Thanks.
"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 10:11:07 am »

Only copy freely channels are supported on the HDHomeRun Prime...for me, that means I get everything that I subscribe to.  But my guess is, if I had HBO, or similar, it wouldn't work.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 06:07:08 pm »

The current status of HDHomerun Prime and Ceton devices are described here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83318.0
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 08:14:20 am »

Thanks Yaobing.

I'll try to check back periodically to see if support for encrypted channels gets added.
"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 08:37:18 am »

This is probably old news but with Windows 8.1 Microsoft is now charging $100 for Media Center (or $10 if you have Windows 8.1 Pro):
 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/feature-packs

More and more cable channels are being encrypted (in my area anyway) so this seems like a potential opportunity for JRiver.  However, I'm not sure how big the market is and that market may be shrinking as more and more people gravitate towards streaming services and away from traditional cable TV viewing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up