INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recipe for Streaming BD to PS3  (Read 1193 times)

doug.ca

• Junior Woodchuck
Recipe for Streaming BD to PS3
« on: December 13, 2012, 11:20:42 pm »

Can someone either point me or give me a recipe for ripping and streaming a Bluray to a PS3 or other such mediaplayer over DLNA? I'd prefer to get rid of all the extras on the disk and just keep the main movie.

So far I've tried ISO and MKV rips, but in both cases I have a couple of problems I just can't seem to lick:

1) The audio is always 2 channel, not the original 5.1. I can't find a way around this;
2) I've tried various video conversion settings, such as MPEG2-High B/W, MPEG2/DVD, MPEG4TS but none seem to give me the full resolution of the original, at least in terms of what the PS3 Info screen is telling me - the bitrates are too low for BD - and all but MPEG2/DVD seem to require a lot of CPU resources to transcode (I'm assuming).

Everything is working fine for DVD playback. I get nice 5.1 surround sound and the CPU barely breaks a sweat.

So, my question is, how should I be processing BDs for DLNA playback and what parameters should I use with the PS3?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Recipe for Streaming BD to PS3
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 12:08:58 pm »

The latest build has a mpeg2 1080p conversion at 30 mb/sec tested on the PS3. The mp4ts very high conversion is also 1080p with about 22mbps average.

The mp4ts conversions allow the use of all of your PC's cores which is why the CPU usage goes up, of course the file is converted much faster that way.
The mpeg2 conversions unfortunately cannot do that since the underlying libav stuff isn't really capable of it. I think the latest does use more CPU from my testing and definitely finished faster than before but it's not on a par with the h264 conversions. It does keep up on my core2 quad at 1080p conversion both mp4ts and mpeg2.

Multichannel hasn't been addressed yet. At this point everything is 2 channel output.
Pages: [1]   Go Up