INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing Playback Speed  (Read 3220 times)

Ardemus

• Recent member
Changing Playback Speed
« on: December 14, 2012, 01:27:21 pm »

I'm evaluating JRiver for use with my high end audio system.  I currently have Bryston SP2 and Amps with PMC FB1s.  I need to replace the SP2, probably with a NAD 187 or a Bryston BP25 and a stand alone DAC.  JRiver seems pretty slick but I'm having a number of problems.  I'll post them separately:

I often want to play video files at faster than normal speed, generally 120-150%.  I found instructions to use the tempo setting which is exactly what I want (play the A/V faster without changing the pitch).  However, tempo, pitch, and rate all behave the same way: They cause a momentary blip at the new speed and then return to 100%.  I've tried this with downloaded and streamed YouTube videos.

As a side comment: I've also dug quite a bit in the interface and I find it pretty unfriendly.  There are a great many ways to get to different settings and configuration dialogs and it's not clear why I would want to go to each of them.  What menus are shown are highly context sensitive but not in an intuitive way.  Menu items don't necessary go to what I would expect, for example Direct Show Filters -> Select Filters takes me to General Video Settings and I haven't managed to find any filter settings there.  I also encounter disabled menu items all over the place, even when they seem like they should work.  At the same time there are menu items that appear in most places but don't show up in other places.  I'm sure I can figure it out, but it feels terribly random and incohesive.   

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Changing Playback Speed
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 02:37:59 pm »

There is a search function at the bottom of tools->options for practically any setting. The filter settings are definitely in the video settings (look at the Red October section).

I can guarantee you that you'll understand the reasoning behind the layout after using MC for a bit.

Ardemus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 04:20:09 pm »

Tempo and the related settings in the DSP editor don't work.  I did manage to find them by searching these forums.  I actually found the DSP Editor early on, but it is very clearly an audio only control panel.  I was miffed when I found out that the same panel was also meant to the control the video speed. 

Anyway, again, my real problem is that Tempo, Pitch, and rate don't work.  They just play a fraction of a second of audio at the new rate and then everything goes back to 100% speed.  I have confirmed it in a few other random video files.

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 05:31:34 pm »

Sounds like you have "Video Clock" switched on under "General Video Settings". That overrides the tempo / speed adjustments. Just switch Video Clock off and you'll see the tempo adjustments work as expected.

Ardemus

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 10:14:56 pm »

Excellent, thank you.  I did turn that on, and turning it off did fix the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up