INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filters to Improve Low Quality video?  (Read 1002 times)

Ardemus

• Recent member
Filters to Improve Low Quality video?
« on: December 14, 2012, 02:01:06 pm »

I'm evaluating JRiver for use with my high end audio system.  I currently have Bryston SP2 and Amps with PMC FB1s.  I need to replace the SP2, probably with a NAD 187 or a Bryston BP25 and a stand alone DAC.  JRiver seems pretty slick but I'm having a number of problems.  I'll post them separately:

I watch low quality video files some times, and I would very much like to process them to smooth out judder, improve colors, smooth compression artifacts, etc.  Is there an easy way to do that in JRiver?  I found some color controls but, like many other things I've found in JRiver, they were inexplicably disabled.  I don't really want to spend a bunch of time dialing in settings, although I don't mind directly tweaking the color.  I would want something (or a few things) that I can just turn on and off.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Filters to Improve Low Quality video?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 02:31:55 pm »

The Red October HQ settings are dialed in really well. You can also choose to use external filters and then modify whatever upsampling settings you want.

Ardemus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 04:27:25 pm »

I'm not looking to up-sample, line double, or scale.  I want to improve the appearance of poorly encoded low-res files and tweak the color.  It might be something like "MPEG Noise Reduction".  Are you saying that MC is already doing the best I'm going to see?  It wouldn't surprise me, I just want to understand.  If there are external filters I could try, can you explain how to do it?  I banged my head against it yesterday and it was a frustrating experience. 

Regarding the colors, I found a stack of sliders for adjusting the color but it was disabled.  Can you tell me why it was disabled and how to make it work?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 06:05:03 pm »

I'm not looking to up-sample, line double, or scale.  I want to improve the appearance of poorly encoded low-res files and tweak the color.  It might be something like "MPEG Noise Reduction".  Are you saying that MC is already doing the best I'm going to see?  It wouldn't surprise me, I just want to understand.  If there are external filters I could try, can you explain how to do it?  I banged my head against it yesterday and it was a frustrating experience. 

Regarding the colors, I found a stack of sliders for adjusting the color but it was disabled.  Can you tell me why it was disabled and how to make it work?

I don't think you are going to be able to improve over the default settings, but if you are feeling masochistic, have a look at the following links:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide
http://www.homecinema-hd.com/madvr_en.html
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1008342

yan00s

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 06:51:50 pm »

For your "low quality" videos you could create a custom filter setting (Options > Video > Video Mode: Advanced - Custom | ... Custom video mode settings) and add some conditions that match with these files (like container format ... flv probably and maybe resolution values). If you start from Red October HQ it might help to add ffdshow as a video postprocessor. If ffdshow is set to show it's taskbar icon during playback you can play around with its settings while checking out the results live and save the best settings later.

For lowres video the only really useful filter may be "add noise" though to deceive your eyes a little ...  ;)

As for color sliders - I haven't even looked for 'em in MC yet but it could be due to DXVA settings that they are not exposed as selectable. If there's really a need to adjust colors it should be done via postprocessing as well. If you're really adventurous try to integrate AviSynth correction scripts into ffdshow.
JRiver MC 18 on Win 8 Pro (x64)
Pages: [1]   Go Up