INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can a MC18 Library reside on a NAS?  (Read 1341 times)

doubrown

• Junior Woodchuck
Can a MC18 Library reside on a NAS?
« on: December 16, 2012, 01:24:56 pm »

I have MC18 installed on a laptop and PC with all of the media files on a QNAP TS-419II NAS. The current setup has a MC library on the PC and another MC library on the laptop. Both libraries were create independently by importing files from the NAS. Is it possible for the library to reside on the NAS and both the laptop and PC share it? That way once a file was imported into the library it would be available to MC18 on either the laptop or PC.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can a MC18 Library reside on a NAS?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 01:57:53 pm »

Its certainly possible, however opening the same library from two locations poses some issues - only one client can open it with full access, the second one gets only "read only" access. So if you leave it open on the PC, you might get issues on the laptop.
If your PC is always on, you could as well run MC in Library Server mode, and your laptop would then connect to the Library Server instead of directly opening the library.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

doubrown

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 02:28:37 pm »

The PC and laptop will rarely if ever be on at the same time. MC doesn't seem to let me specific the NAS as the location for the library. Is this possible?

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 03:59:03 pm »

Yes, it's possible.  I've done it with UNC path as well as mapped drive letter in the past, making sure each machine used the same drive letter.
Nowadays I don't point the other machines at the library files anymore.  I use the library server and set them up as remote clients.

File > Library > Library Manager > Add Library > Local Library > Local Library.
Type any path you want.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:55:01 am »

My movies are on a file server, similar to a NAS, remotely powered on demand (Wake On LAN). 
My music and photos are on a low power NAS box, powered 24/365.
Each PC in the house runs MC with a local library.
I do all my management chores on my desktop PC.  After library changes (rips, tagging), I backup the library onto the NAS.
Regularly, on each PC, I restore the local library from the NAS backup copy, but I uncheck "settings" prior to restore to preserve audio and video "local" settings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up