INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Static Between Songs  (Read 2293 times)

kjhkjh123

• Recent member
Static Between Songs
« on: December 16, 2012, 08:43:18 pm »

Demoing MC to see if it is what I am looking for using as a music media server to my stereo receiver.  I am quite frustrated because I have ripped a few CD to try and am encountering static between each track played.  Been messing with all the gap settings and cannot solve the problem.  I am running Version 18.0.94 and playing wav files.  Any suggestions on the fix to this because if I keep getting static it will be NO PURCHASE.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Static Between Songs
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 10:23:01 pm »

You might work through this guide:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 01:29:06 pm »

I was thinking about this more, and got a little suspicious that you may simply have corrupt WAV files.

It would be good to rip a few tracks with Media Center and see if they play properly.  If so, it's likely something in the original WAV files.

Please let us know what you find.

kjhkjh123

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 05:07:04 pm »

Matt thanks for thinking about this, it is driving me nuts.  To clarify, the wav files I have ripped are fresh rips using MC18 (tried importing some rips from Windows Media Player and I got either Chinese/Japanese/Korean for tags so I used MC to rip also).  Since the computer and stereo receiver are on opposite ends of the house I generally use the receiver to select what songs to play instead of using the computer to "play to the receiver".  So my connection is pure DLNA through a wired network (gigabit speed).  I have been messing around with the gap and transition settings so I cannot remember everything I have tried.  I would prefer it to be gapless and I have also tried it with the check mark for no gaps for sequential tracks on a CD.  The settings seam intuitive for gaps but nothing seems to be working.  As 4 computer it is a i7 950 with a SSD root drive with gigabyte network so it should be computer speed issues either.  Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.  Note that this issue also occurs when I play to the receiver using the computer as the remote control.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 05:25:36 pm »

Matt thanks for thinking about this, it is driving me nuts.  To clarify, the wav files I have ripped are fresh rips using MC18 (tried importing some rips from Windows Media Player and I got either Chinese/Japanese/Korean for tags so I used MC to rip also).  Since the computer and stereo receiver are on opposite ends of the house I generally use the receiver to select what songs to play instead of using the computer to "play to the receiver".  So my connection is pure DLNA through a wired network (gigabit speed).  I have been messing around with the gap and transition settings so I cannot remember everything I have tried.  I would prefer it to be gapless and I have also tried it with the check mark for no gaps for sequential tracks on a CD.  The settings seam intuitive for gaps but nothing seems to be working.  As 4 computer it is a i7 950 with a SSD root drive with gigabyte network so it should be computer speed issues either.  Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.  Note that this issue also occurs when I play to the receiver using the computer as the remote control.

This means the DLNA device doesn't support WAV tags so plays them as static.  This is a bug in the DLNA device.

You can work around it by telling Media Center to always convert to PCM in Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers.  Converting to something like L16 is really not a conversion -- it's the same bits, just packaged in a way the DLNA device will support better.

It might also be good to contact the manufacturer of your DLNA device and ask them to fix the WAV handling bug.  JRiver would be happy to help them if needed.

kjhkjh123

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 09:40:53 am »

Thanks Matt - your second response solved the problem.  My receiver doesn't support the tags on the "raw" ripped wav files because when I change the DLNA server settings to either L16 or L24 which the receiver handles I do not get the static between tracks.  Now in either case my receiver doesn't display on my TV the artist, song and disk.  Since it was a terrible football game last night I went and ripped a different CD to FLAC (when you select quality level 8 - is that essentially uncompressed FLAC?) and tested what happens there.  When I have the DLNA server settings to never encode, my receiver plays the FLAC file and displays the artist/track/disk info on the TV.  If the DLNA settings are always convert or convert unkown MC converts the FLAC to LPCM at either 1.4M or 2.1M and of course the tag data is lost going to the receiver.  Is this expected.  This then spurs a couple additional questions for me

1) I have a sony ES receiver, MC used ID3v2 tagging of the wav files - this is my question back to Sony on support of WAV tagging.

2) for DLNA MC only defaults to either MP3 or LPCM as known or supported formats when transcoding is enabled.  Is this correct.

Thanks for the help
Pages: [1]   Go Up