INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full Netflix access in windows 8 is here (solved!!)  (Read 7248 times)

ivwshane

• Recent member
Full Netflix access in windows 8 is here (solved!!)
« on: December 18, 2012, 03:31:05 am »

Ok, so we all know that Netflix through 3rd party apps like MC and xbmc, etc suck and there isn't a whole lot we can do until they move to HTML 5 (at least that's what I read). However, Netflix does offer an app for windows 8 for use with metro.

I've figured out how to launch the app by using the launch external programs option and under the command options type: explorer.exe netflix://

That works except for one minor detail, there isn't an easy way to get back to MC in theater view and that's where I need help.

I know you can create a script using autohotkey that will launch the metro app and allow you to exit the app using escape or the corresponding remote button and then reopen MC. I know because the guy at this site has done it for xbmc:
Itsjustwhatever.com

I've asked him to make a script for jriver but I don't know if he will or even got my message. A lot of you guys are smart and could probably do this yourself (he posted the source code).

Anyway, I think this is the best alternative and is a good solution to those that want Netflix but want one app to do everything.

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
Re: Full Netflix access in windows 8 is here but I need help
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:31:50 pm »

I'd like some help with this as well.  I just installed win 8 with jrmc v 18, and I would like a clean way to flip between the new metro start screen and theater view.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 09:33:17 pm »

Are you launching it by adding the external program to Theater View? If I launch an external program from Theater View and then close the program I am back in Theater View again.

ivwshane

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:01:59 pm »

Are you launching it by adding the external program to Theater View? If I launch an external program from Theater View and then close the program I am back in Theater View again.

The problem is that because Netflix is a metro app there is no easy way to close it other than the windows button or alt+f4 and both take you to metro and not MC.

ivwshane

• Recent member
Re: Full Netflix access in windows 8 is here (solved!!)
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 02:00:17 am »

All right guys the author got back to me and he created a way to launch the app (or any metro UI app), exit via esc and bring you back to your frontend.

Metrolauncher is the one I use and it works great:

http://www.itsjustwhatever.com/downloads/

Thanks nrk11!

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
Re: Full Netflix access in windows 8 is here (solved!!)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:05:15 pm »

I used the instructions at the its just whatever site and that works quite well to create links in my theater view menu hierarchy that launch metro applications.

I can understand that people who want to exclusively use an IR remote and directional buttons may find that this doesn't work terribly well for them.  But I'm using a Lenovo N5902 that has keyboard and mouse pointer control, so I can easily flip back to MC theater view application in windows 8 by mousing over to the upper left corner of the screen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up