INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Way to control TV & Amp power with Keyboard shortcut?  (Read 1522 times)

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
Way to control TV & Amp power with Keyboard shortcut?
« on: December 19, 2012, 02:02:23 pm »

I have the media center remote, and I can program buttons on it to control my TV & Amp power and volume using the IR blasters, but I find myself using a wireless keyboard frequently that doesn't communicate via the IR receiver.  Is there a way to program keyboard shortcuts (e.g. Ctl+Alt+T) that will then prompt the IR system to fire the appropriate code to the TV or Amp?  This way I could have one controller (wireless keyboard) for all the functions.

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
Re: Way to control TV & Amp power with Keyboard shortcut?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:02:09 pm »

Update on this FWIW.

I'm using the Lenovo N5902 remote with MC 18 on a 42" LCD in theater mode on a windows 8 machine.  I really like the remote, however, I wish it could control my IR components (TV and Amp).

I've found a solution:

There is a software called Girder made by Promixis
http://www.promixis.com/

This software can very flexibly allow you to define an event (say pressing Ctl+Alt+T on your keyboard) and then configure a follow on action (like launching a particular IR code (which it can learn) out to your IR blaster.

The only downside is the software costs $50, and the 1USB/4 IR emitter unit is $80.  So it would cost me $130 to be able to use keyboard shortcuts to turn my TV and Amp on and off and whatever other IR commands I want to program.  It isn't worth it for me right now, but maybe sometime I'll go for it.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 03:12:52 am »

You have made me want to do this also, as I tend to have keyboard more often than remote at hand...

I found this...

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/49/p/62562/297754.aspx

Any chance that the MC could be easily updated to accept a keypress to drive and IR blast.  Wouldn't have thought it would be a big change as most of the infrastructure appears to be there, just needs a new input option in the remote dialog???

Craig

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 11:01:38 am »

That's a good resource also.  Looks a little, what did the guy say, "rough around the edges" vs. the Girder/USBUIRT solution, but also cheaper.

Agreed that it seems within the wheelhouse of MC.  It would be a nice addition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up