INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WebGizmo trouble to reconnect - [Solved]  (Read 1722 times)

ReTango

• Recent member
WebGizmo trouble to reconnect - [Solved]
« on: December 20, 2012, 07:12:25 am »

Hi,
I'm using MC 18.0.94. I use WebGizmo from an iphone as a remote control. When I start using it it works fine. If I stop using the remote for 1 or 2minutes, when I try to reconnect (e.g. press stop on the iphone's playing now screen, or try to change the volume, or press "home") it takes more than one minute (I timed it and it takes 1 min 12 secs) to reconnect. When it reconnects it works perfectly, but after some time it happens all over again.. This makes webgizmo impractical, since I have to wait more than one minute if I wnat to switch song or lower the volume.

Sometimes, if in the middle of the wait I press "stop" and then "refresh" in Safari, it loads immediately, but sometimes not. Sometimes webgizmo even shows an error screen:  "safari could not open page since server did not respond".

I checked at the Media Network Service while safari is "stuck", and in some cases it shows: M-SEARCH: http://239.255.255.250:1900* while waiting, in other cases: NOTIFY:http://239.255.255.250:1900* .

I access webgizmo with a direct ip address: 192.168.1.11:52199/Gizmo. I set the server computer with the static 192.168.1.11 address.
Any ideas on what might be wrong?
Thanks!!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: WebGizmo trouble to reconnect - takes more than 1 minute
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 07:33:08 am »

This isn't something I've seen myself or heard reported before.

You can filter to only the server 'Library Server' in the Media Network view to see what calls are reaching that server.  It sounds like the calls aren't even getting to the program, which points to a connection or security/firewall issue.  Are either of those possible?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 01:04:04 pm »

This to me sounds almost certainly like frequent WiFi disassociation/re-association due to WiFi troubles.

(this plagued my Squeezebox Controller in exactly the same fashion as described here.)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

ReTango

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 08:43:35 pm »

Matt, thanks! both are possible.. it indeed looks as if the server is "still" for the whole minute, it could perfectly be that it does not receive any call.
MrC, thanks also! How did you solve your WiFi troubles? Any setting on the router?
Thanks!

MrC

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 10:19:07 pm »

MrC, thanks also! How did you solve your WiFi troubles? Any setting on the router?

Simple: ditched the Controller; Got a better WiFi appliance.

The WiFi appliance I had was simply terrible; replacing it resolved all the WiFi issues I had.  But I was so tired of dealing with the constant dropped connections (even at < 10 ft.), and not being able to control the Squeezebox Receiver quickly enough, I tired of the whole setup and got rid of it.  Imagine waiting 45 seconds for the volume to lower while the stupid device woke up and associated, or re-associated after it dropped the connection.

If this is the issue you're facing, test out a different (high quality) WiFi appliance to see if that makes a difference.

But Matt's suggestion is valid and probably correct - it is easy to disable the Windows firewall and all your A/V software to test out the theory.

ReTango

• Recent member
Re: WebGizmo trouble to reconnect - [Solved]
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 07:22:03 am »

Thanks Mrc.
I turned off Windows Firewall and now it works perfectly.. I will go on further checking what's wrong, if the WiFi router or some Windows configuration, since I did not have this problem before while using the same WiFi device..
Thanks again!

MrC

Re: WebGizmo trouble to reconnect - [Solved]
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 12:28:39 pm »

I redirect your Thanks to Matt - he called this one.  I sent you out in the weeds with my old baggage...
Pages: [1]   Go Up