INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I record satellite TV?  (Read 19005 times)

gezeik

Can I record satellite TV?
« on: December 20, 2012, 07:30:38 am »

I have a Pioneer Kuro with built in sat-receiver, which I use to watch TV via satellite only. Can your software record these sat signals and store them on my Synology NAS for later viewing? What is the file format? What is required re: hardware?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Can I record satellite TV?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 12:12:11 pm »

To receive satellite TV signals, you need a DVB-S compatible TV tuner card installed on your computer.

MC can record shows that are not encrypted.  It can either record in JRiver format (jtv) or MPEG transport stream fornat (ts).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Ekpen

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 12:28:39 pm »

I have DirecTV boxes, can you please recommend a tuner card that works very well.
I have not been able to get video to work on my MC 18.
Hoping Ceton  infinitv6 will show up soon.
Thanks.
ekpen.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 01:14:18 pm »

With DirecTV box, you can use our "Set Top Box" support.  For that you will need an analog video capture device.  What kind of output does your DirecTV box have (coaxial, composite, SVideo, etc.)?  The answer to this question partially determines what capture device you need.  An example of a good device is Hauppauge HD PVR.

You will also need a remote  control and IR blaster.  We recommend using MCE remote (as seen near the top right corner of this page).

gezeik

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 10:51:27 am »

To receive satellite TV signals, you need a DVB-S compatible TV tuner card installed on your computer.

MC can record shows that are not encrypted.  It can either record in JRiver format (jtv) or MPEG transport stream fornat (ts).

Satellite TV is encrypted, as I wrote (you edited that out it seems when you edited my message - thank you very much for that, btw). So it can not record it?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 11:58:46 am »

I still have not gotten to dealing with encrypted DVB-S or DVB-C services.  So I would say no, it will not record.

Ekpen

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 08:17:19 pm »

With DirecTV box, you can use our "Set Top Box" support.  For that you will need an analog video capture device.  What kind of output does your DirecTV box have (coaxial, composite, SVideo, etc.)?  The answer to this question partially determines what capture device you need.  An example of a good device is Hauppauge HD PVR.

You will also need a remote  control and IR blaster.  We recommend using MCE remote (as seen near the top right corner of this page).

Thanks for your help

I have Directv HR24 and 2 HR22. They all have HDMI, and component YBR.
The driectv boxes can output video both from HDMI and YBR.
To be frank, I do not like watching anything anymore on YBR. All the way is HDMI including Blu ray movies.
I will settle for this Happauge pvr . I am also waiting  for the ceton to come out with the 6 tuners, then see if the ceton will let me use its tuners  to record.. I doubt this.

Thanks again.
Ekpen

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 09:39:56 am »

Hauppauge Colossus has HDMI input, but it only works with unencrypted contents.  DirecTV boxes probably have encrypted HDMI outputs. 

Ekpen

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 08:15:39 pm »

It looks like I may not be able to use Sat boxes for TV on MC.

How about being able to use Directv anywhere within MC in theaterview.  Load via external program interface ?

Maybe  it is time to switch to cable . As I wrote before, I will he taking a close look at the Ceton Infinitv6 when it is released.
Ekpen.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 08:36:50 pm »

How about being able to use Directv anywhere within MC in theaterview.  Load via external program interface ?

Maybe  it is time to switch to cable . As I wrote before, I will he taking a close look at the Ceton Infinitv6 when it is released.
Ekpen.

With cable you will have similar issues.  Inside MC it will still be video capture via S-Video/Composite/Component.  Ceton devices are not yet supported.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 04:44:04 pm »

Ekpen.

I don't know why this isn't working for some. The Sat signal is decrypted in the DTV box and sent to TV. The Happauge Colossus intercepts the signal to the TV and records it. I have been doing this for a while. Now I don't pay for premium channels like HBO or ShowTime - so maybe this is where the issue is, but every other channel records fine. MC downlaods the DTV program guide and using the IR blaster you change channels on the DTV box.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 06:00:58 pm »

It should work.

I think Ekpen just wants to use HDMI output from the STB if I am not mistaken.  There is no reason for it not to work if you use component/SVideo/Composite output.

Ekpen

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 12:35:19 pm »

Greetings:
The Sat stb does have component. It looks like signals are sent on both HDMI and component simultaneously.
So If I need to record, I have to go via ybr.
then I will need a capture device to record video as analog, but it will really be 1080i or 1080p.
I have HR24- directv. I need to get a reliable capture -hauppage or any model for this.
I have to use IR blasters?  I do not like IR blaster.
Someone here did use an rs232 method to control Directv box. I will try to find the thread.
If and when Ceton is released and supported, I will also need this capture device?

Thanks for your input.
Ekpen.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 05:06:48 pm »

Greetings:
The Sat stb does have component. It looks like signals are sent on both HDMI and component simultaneously.
So If I need to record, I have to go via ybr.
then I will need a capture device to record video as analog, but it will really be 1080i or 1080p.

Regarding HDMI vs. component, ask your provider - DirecTV, whether their HDMI output is encrypted.  If not, you can probably use it with Hauppauge Colossus (ask Hauppauge about this too).

If DirecTV tells you that HDMI output can not be freely captured, then you have to use component.  Ask DirecTV whether their component output is HD or SD.  The recording will be done digitally, either in J River's jtv format, or MPEG-2 transportation stream.

I have HR24- directv. I need to get a reliable capture -hauppage or any model for this.

I use Hauppauge HD PVR, and know Colossus will work too.  I have no direct experience with other devices, but there should some out there.

I have to use IR blasters?  I do not like IR blaster.

Someone here did use an rs232 method to control Directv box. I will try to find the thread.

IR blaster is what is supported.  Other method might work too.  I hope some people who have used them can help you out here.

If and when Ceton is released and supported, I will also need this capture device?

Ceton will not need additional capture device.  It itself is a capture device.

Ekpen

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 07:23:09 pm »

Thanks for your response.
With Directv, it outputs digital on component.
I will wait and pray Ceton comes out, and hope MC supports Ceton.
Two days ago, I registered PDVD12, just for testing, I was not able to use it to play Directv . It says "Not Supported".
I hope I will be able to use it to play Bluray disk in a changer.
Pdvd 12 is slow on my PC. Hopefully, when my server is finished, it will speed things up.
Ekpen.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 09:29:05 am »

Thanks for your response.
With Directv, it outputs digital on component.
I will wait and pray Ceton comes out, and hope MC supports Ceton.
Two days ago, I registered PDVD12, just for testing, I was not able to use it to play Directv . It says "Not Supported".
I hope I will be able to use it to play Bluray disk in a changer.
Pdvd 12 is slow on my PC. Hopefully, when my server is finished, it will speed things up.
Ekpen.
MC 18.0.146 added support for Ceton devices:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79010.0

Ekpen

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 09:54:15 am »

Thanks, Jim, Matt, and Yaobing.

I will get the 4 tuners version if the USB 6 tuners version is not available in 4 weeks.
My HTPC is almost finished. I have to wait for spare parts from S. Korea and a few places. As soon as its available, I will report back .
Again, thanks for keeping the " hope alive".

Ekpen.

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 07:53:00 am »

Thanks, Jim, Matt, and Yaobing.

I will get the 4 tuners version if the USB 6 tuners version is not available in 4 weeks.
My HTPC is almost finished. I have to wait for spare parts from S. Korea and a few places. As soon as its available, I will report back .
Again, thanks for keeping the " hope alive".

Ekpen.
Were you successful?

Ekpen

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 03:05:10 pm »

Regarding HDMI vs. component, ask your provider - DirecTV, whether their HDMI output is encrypted.  If not, you can probably use it with Hauppauge Colossus (ask Hauppauge about this too).

If DirecTV tells you that HDMI output can not be freely captured, then you have to use component.  Ask DirecTV whether their component output is HD or SD.  The recording will be done digitally, either in J River's jtv format, or MPEG-2 transportation stream.

I use Hauppauge HD PVR, and know Colossus will work too.  I have no direct experience with other devices, but there should some out there.

IR blaster is what is supported.  Other method might work too.  I hope some people who have used them can help you out here.

Ceton will not need additional capture device.  It itself is a capture device.

We that use directv are paid subscribers.
I have 4 Directv boxes [dvrs] in the house, including the new dvr HR34-700, also, I have the nomads.
With all thses directv boxes, I still can not integrate MC with Directv. Is it ok, for Jim el the good staff, contact Directv to find  away for we paid subscribers to be able to use MC of choice with Directv.
Just image millions of customers with HTPC, that are Directv customers and probably JRiver followers. This will open lots of marketing opportunities for MC and will definely improve sales. Do not forget, the Linux platform's sale will also improve.
It is time for MC-19, 20 etc to support encrypted video. Can we try to start with Directv.?
Thanks.
Ekpen.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 07:57:55 pm »

Sorry for jumping in so late on this thread, I just saw it.  I use DirecTV with a colossus capture card everyday.  I use the HDMI output from my DirecTV box to the HDMI input of the colossus.  I have an MCE remote with an IR blaster to control the box.  As far as I know, JRIver does not support any other method of controlling the DirecTV box and they currently only support one box.  I record misc channels, however I do not have any premium movie channels( HBO, etc), but I can record/ play every channel I have tried.

If you have specific questions, I can try to help with the setup, but it was like MC 17 when I did my initial setup, so things may have changed some.

Alex

Ekpen

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 08:30:38 pm »

Sorry for jumping in so late on this thread, I just saw it.  I use DirecTV with a colossus capture card everyday.  I use the HDMI output from my DirecTV box to the HDMI input of the colossus.  I have an MCE remote with an IR blaster to control the box.  As far as I know, JRIver does not support any other method of controlling the DirecTV box and they currently only support one box.  I record misc channels, however I do not have any premium movie channels( HBO, etc), but I can record/ play every channel I have tried.

If you have specific questions, I can try to help with the setup, but it was like MC 17 when I did my initial setup, so things may have changed some.

Alex

Greetings:
So  what I will need is the Collosus - correct? Does it have an external box version? I have to introduce heat in to my HTPC.
What is the exact model name?.. I will like to go this route if need be. I just signed another 2 years contract with Directv.
Are you the author of the serial interface?  Are you getting help of JRiver regarding the MWS or so interface?
I ill like to share my e-mail with you if need be for further help.
btw-- any possibility of using rs232 with Directv boxes?
I have different types of RS232 devices, from rs232 to rs232, from rs232 to ethernet and from RS232 to USB. If you need someone to test, I will like to .
Thanks.
Ekpen.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 08:54:40 pm »

I have the Hauppauge Colossus 1414.  This is an internal PCI card.  Hauppauge makes an HD PVR that I think works the same way, but I am not sure.  I don't believe it adds much heat to the internals, compared to my video card and cpu.  However, I have a large case with good air flow.  My HTPC is not near my viewing area, so fan noise isn't much of a concern.

I will PM you my email address and I will try to help anyway I can.

I did write a serial interface a while back, but it really isn't worth much until I can get the information I need out of Media Center.  I need away to poll MC (r have MC raise an event0 to find out what channel each STB tuner needs to be tuned to.  I found a way to do this when the user changes the channel, but it doesn't work when recording in the background.  As with everything, I am sure that adding this functionality to MC is on the list, but I am not sure when it will happen.

In theory, you could use RS232 or HTTP to communicate with the DTV boxes.  In fact, I have used both to communicate with my boxes, but not from MC.  Right now I have an IR blaster taped to the front of my DTV box so that MC can attempt to change the channel.

I hope this helps,

Alex

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 09:42:04 am »

Alex,

Thanks for helping out.  I will work on MC raising an event as soon as I can.

Ekpen,

Yes, Hauppauge HD PVR is an external version (USB) sister device to Hauppauge Colossus.  They have very similar functionality.

Yaobing

Ekpen

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 10:49:20 am »

Alex,

Thanks for helping out.  I will work on MC raising an event as soon as I can.

Ekpen,

Yes, Hauppauge HD PVR is an external version (USB) sister device to Hauppauge Colossus.  They have very similar functionality.

Yaobing

I got the model # now. 
I hope there will be a detailed write up some day, on how to - for those of us with Directv.
Anyway to get help from Directv since Directv wants to  have their users watch tv from their pcs?
What I am advocating here is for JRiver to have  away of supporting 1080P by working with Directv directly, maybe JRiver will get lucky, they may offer some assistance and even cooperate.

Thanks Yaobing.

Ekpen.

Ekpen

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 10:54:56 am »

I have the Hauppauge Colossus 1414.  This is an internal PCI card.  Hauppauge makes an HD PVR that I think works the same way, but I am not sure.  I don't believe it adds much heat to the internals, compared to my video card and cpu.  However, I have a large case with good air flow.  My HTPC is not near my viewing area, so fan noise isn't much of a concern.

In theory, you could use RS232 or HTTP to communicate with the DTV boxes.  In fact, I have used both to communicate with my boxes, but not from MC.  Right now I have an IR blaster taped to the front of my DTV box so that MC can attempt to change the channel.

I hope this helps,

Alex

Alex,
Thanks for your support and offer to help. I have away to get to you now. As soon as my htpc is ready, I will pursue this Directv  and MC interface again.
I will be in touch here and via your email.
Again, thanks.
Ekpen.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 02:30:32 pm »

is an ir blaster still needed for satellite?

Our jriver main library (server) where tvtuner card is located, is no where near our htpc, so wondering how we would control it via clients?

the goal is to hook up sat into server tuner card, that server holds jrivers main library, and all remaining pc's (clients) in the house access jriver's server and use theaterview, we'd like to have the Sat guide on server, and once clients connect to server there guides would show the sat guide...i'm wondering how we would go about controlling the servers guide/channels if the ir is not in site? does jrivers guide allow for clients to use up/down/left/right arrows on our logitech remotes to go through the channels, and subscribe, just like we can with the OTA that i have setup now?

thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 07:04:51 pm »

The IR blaster should be at the server, where the tuner/capture device and the satellite STB are located.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 08:10:24 pm »

Ok... So how does one accomplish controlling sat guide in htpc if server/tuner is in basement in a closet?  Run hundreds of feet of wire so ir is in htpc room next to the jriver remote ir i bought for logitech/theaterview control?
Is there a wiki explaining how to set this up so one can use one remote?
Thanks for your time

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 08:15:10 pm »

There are IR extenders.  Philips makes a pair.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 08:32:21 pm »

You will need two IR systems, actually one remote receiver (that receives signals from a remote control operated by you), and an IR blaster (which switches channels on the satellite STB).  Since IR blaster and the IR receiver normally are on the same system, you need two such systems.

You use a remote control to control MC client on your htpc.  MC client sends request to the server.  The server fires IR blaster to change channel on the STB, and then feeds the video to the client.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 08:46:49 pm »

Sounds like something i can manage ota went without many hitches,  will give it a shot.
Thanks for info.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2014, 07:29:48 am »

I use an IR extender like this http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011009&p_id=9895&seq=1&format=2
with a ceiling installed IR receiver (not included in kit). The ceiling IR receiver requires a 1" hole then the unit is pushed into the hole and wired back to the IR hub. The little receiver in the ceiling is not really noticeable in the room. I just point my remote at the TV to operate the htpc in the other room. Of course if you don't have access to ceiling space to run the wiring, this particular installation  method won't work  for you.
Good luck

HTPC4ME

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 01:21:08 am »

quick question... does the directv box need to be a dvr if using jriver to subscribe?
Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 08:14:54 am »

No it does not need to be a DVR.  A regular set-top box will do.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 12:00:03 pm »

well i don't think your receiver/blaster will work for me :(

JRiver Server/Tuner card is on server 2008R2, i unplugged your unit from htpc, and plugged it into server usb port, and it said device not installed, then i yanked the usb, and plugged it into a different port, and then went to device manager, under other devices i do see Microsoft IR Transceiver, with Explanation point, if i right click/ chose update driver/search online, it states none are available... is there a driver one can use for server 2008, so i can chose a blaster and see if sat will go through card?

Thanks

HTPC4ME

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 03:58:36 pm »

Well got the 2 drivers installed, and i can see the channels, and guide/program, but when i click any channel, the display remains blue. I do hear sound..Static. I'm also noticing on the top bar/standard view it says 3 antenna 3.. perhaps i need some sort of tweaking still? any ideas?
Thanks

Here are the steps for Server 2008 R2 users looking to get IR to work /Driver to install
1. I went here and downloaded the ehome driver - http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/ehome-ir-transceiver/
2. I extracted it, and instead of running install.exe (this would cause a certmgr.exe error) i went to device manager/other device where the explanation point was, right clicked chose update driver, then browsed to ehome unzipped folder/drivers and hit continue, it brought up a red warning box that it was unverified, i chose continue, then it installed eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR), that then moved to universal serial bus controllers, then i went back to other device because there was another exclamation point and followed the same steps, and that successfully installed the Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver, after that, i unplugged usb, then rebooted, plugged in usb, and went to jriver and it allowed me to scan, and setup remote control buttons.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2014, 04:59:00 pm »

When setting up STB channels, the first thing to make sure is that you specify the device and input channel that you really connected your STB's output to.  Did you use a coaxial cable from the STB to the capture device?  If so, is STB output to channel 3 (instead of channel 4)?

What do you get if you try playing "3 Antenna 3" on the capture device directly (instead of playing any STB channels)?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2014, 05:21:34 pm »

have the hauppauge WinTV-7164

top coaxial is OTA
bottom coaxial is STB

In devices it shows this...

Just tried again by restoring jriver to a couple days ago (starting fresh with just the OTA setup, and this time i did scan for channels, set top box, directv, chose Analog Capture (1) it finished and loaded the guide with channels, and this time in playing now bar it said composite, and display was blue, and no sound/no static.
If so, is STB output to channel 3 (instead of channel 4)?
im not sure where to verify this?
when i click on 3 antenna 3, display turns blue, and i hear static.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2014, 06:18:09 pm »

Just tried again by restoring jriver to a couple days ago (starting fresh with just the OTA setup, and this time i did scan for channels, set top box, directv, chose Analog Capture (1) it finished and loaded the guide with channels, and this time in playing now bar it said composite, and display was blue, and no sound/no static. im not sure where to verify this?

What if you try using "Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture ..." (without "(1)")?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2014, 06:24:24 pm »

will give it a shot...

how do i remove old channel scans, i went to edit channels, and deleted each channel ... is that all one needs to do to start over? it looks as if when in standard view/ television/ channels/all channels that there is still old stuff in there, because Channel field is empty but program/description still has info

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2014, 06:37:11 pm »

As far as channels are concerned, all you need to do is to delete them from the channels list.  Programs remain.  You should clear them by running "Load Program Guide..." tool, and choose "Clear Program Guide.." (the last option) on page one of the wizard.

Also, is "3 Antenna 3" a channel you obtained from scanning analog antenna channel using the device connected to the STB (i.e. your Hauppague video capture device)?  If STB is on, and its output is set to channel 3, doing such a scan should produce "3 Antenna 3" (likewise, if your STB is set to output on channel 4, then you should get "4 Antenna 4").  Also, if you choose Cable instead of Antenna during such analog channel scan, the produced channel will be "3 Cable 3".  It should not matter whether you use Cable or Antenna since channels 3 and 4 should be the same for antenna and cable.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2014, 01:03:25 am »

well decided to test hooking stb straight to tv, got picture, however the quality on the hdtv (yet to hook up to hauppauge tuner) is nothing to brag about.

I'm assuming this is the best ill get with standard definition stb, with 18" oval dish...think ill surf for a hd dish, and receiver, and go from there.

Thanks guys for the help
Pages: [1]   Go Up