INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who else uses an unRAID server (or any server that spins down discs)?  (Read 2482 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day

I have some issues where MC is unresponsive when I start using it, and I suspect that at least part of that issue is that my unRAID server spins down my disks after 15 minutes of inactivity.  unRAID is unique in that it can spin down only the non-active discs, leaving any disc in use still spinning.  So, if I finish watching a movie, or show, and it goes back to Theater View, or any view really, it would need to poll all the discs again, most of which would be sleeping at that point, causing lag.  I suppose I could change the timeout to an hour, or 3 to keep them awake longer.

I'm wondering if anyone else uses unRAID, and if they suffer the same initial usage/startup lag I'm seeing, and if so, have they come up with any clever way to overcome this issue?

I believe I can set the server to sleep when inactive, and can force it awake whenever any computer connects to the network.  I wonder if I could modify that ability to force discs to spin up when any computer connects?

unRAID has a "cachedirs" script which continually polls the drives for the directory structure to keep all that information in memory, so browsing the drives should always be fast/instant, but I was told "If windows explorer is showing thumbnails or previews of the files, it will need to spin up the disk to provide these.  I believe if you display your files in list view this will not be the case."

I'm just trying to figure out a way to make this work better in my case.
pretend this is something funny

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
Re: Who else uses an unRAID server (or any server that spins down discs)?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 02:59:03 pm »

Hmmm....

So... Matt is aware, and also unhappy about it, but after a year it's not bubbled up to become important enough to 'fix'.  Understandable.

I guess that leaves us (me?) with my original question, how does anyone else deal with this issue, specifically with and unRAID server, or any Linux server I suppose, since the commands/solution should be interchangable?

I think I might just change the spindown to an hour, which should keep MC active for all TV episodes and music, leaving only movies to allow the other discs to spin down.
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up