INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files with DTS-HD 7.1 showing as 6ch audio  (Read 1660 times)

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe
Files with DTS-HD 7.1 showing as 6ch audio
« on: December 21, 2012, 06:42:11 pm »

Hi,

My video rips with DTS-HD 7.1 audio has 6 in the Channels field. I guess when MC imports it only detects the DTS core number of channels. TrueHD 7.1 files show 8 channels. Any way to fix this? Or maybe make the field editable so I can correct it manually? I'd like it to show the correct number of channels so I can easily make a smartlist of my 8 channel movies for demo/testing purposes.

I do have the dtsdecoderdll.dll installed properly so playback/decoding of DTS-HD works and as soon as I play an 8ch DTS-HD file, the DSP popup shows it's 8 channels. It'll also show the right amount of channels in the right click stream selection menu.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Hilton

Re: Files with DTS-HD 7.1 showing as 6ch audio
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 09:27:43 pm »

I got this working yesterday! :)
You need to make sure your using the LAV Audio Splitter. The standard RO or ROHQ filters wont apply the dtsdecoderdll filter from my understanding.
You might want to install the latest LAV and ffdshow filter packages too and make sure the DTS decoding filter is disabled for ffdshow.
Goodluck!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:00:12 pm »

MC uses a private version of LAV Splitter and Decoder for Red October (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Red_October) so there is absolutely no need to install them yourselves.  As audenth has found, all you need to do is to add the dtsdecoderdll.dll (more info in the wiki - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray#Decoding_for_DTS-HD)

Audenth, as you have seen, the DB is only populated with the DTS-HD core not the extention when imported even though they will play with all the channels and at full bit rate and depth once dtsdecoderdll.dll is added.
JRiver CEO Elect

audunth

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 05:28:10 am »

Yeah, jmone, and that's exactly what I would like a fix for. If MC can play it with 8 channels, it should also be able to populate the DB with 8 channels, shouldn't it? If it's not possible for some reason, I'd at least like the Channels field to be editable, so I can manually change it from 6 to 8 for the files I know have 8 channels.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 01:59:06 pm »

The issue has been raised a few times over the years (add the "Compression" field as a col and you will see that the Audio on BD is mostly "unknown codec") but must be lower down the priority list.  You will need to get Matt excited about it for it to change. 

Keep in mind that even if this is fixed, the complication with newer containers such as BD and MKV is that they hold multiple streams so these fields (like compression, channels etc will only ever hold one of these values).  So most of my BD Music Video has both a Multi Channel and a 2.0 track.  Which one should I list as on my 2.1 system I want the 2.0 track and on the HTPC I want the 5.1 track?  The other option is you could create your own field(s) and populate that (eg copy all the info over from Channel and fill the other stuff out by hand).
JRiver CEO Elect

audunth

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 08:11:16 pm »

Obviously it should show the number of channels for the sound track with the most channels. If you have a 8 channel soundtrack on a disc or file, there is never a problem to play it over 6 or 2 channels anyway. Even if you also can upmix, it's not the same to create new channels as taking existing info and moving it into fewer channels. If the field shows 2 channels, you should know it's a file that actually only contains 2 channels and no additional 6ch track. That's the only sane way to do it in my opinion.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Pages: [1]   Go Up