INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal volume vs system volume  (Read 13324 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Internal volume vs system volume
« on: December 20, 2012, 02:08:38 pm »

For my desk speakers at home, I use a USB DAC that's connected to a 2.1 monitor setup and also to headphones.

I have always used 'System volume' because I sometimes play games, do web browser stuff, etc. where I need a volume slider.

But with the introduction of Loudness in Media Center, I want to use internal volume.

The only way I could think to make this work was by adding a new option (coming soon):
NEW: Added the WASAPI - Event Style option 'Maximize hardware volume during playback'.

This means I can leave the volume slider at a reasonable level, but during exclusive audio playback in Media Center, the system volume can be maxed out and I can use internal volume with loudness.

This mostly solves my problem, but there's one remaining issue.

I want the volume up / volume down keyboard buttons to run the system volume when playback is stopped.  For extra credit, they would run the system slider regardless of the active zone when playback is stopped.  This way, the volume buttons and remote would control Media Center while playing.  But if a game or web browser is at the front, the volume keys would run the default system volume.  I don't think I actually want the slider in Media Center to change how it works -- I'm only interested in the volume keys on the keyboard.

Does anybody else have a similar need?  Maybe we could justify an advanced option for hot key handling like 'On volume keys, run default system volume when playback is stopped'.

Any advice?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Internal volume vs system volume
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 02:16:14 pm »

For my desk speakers at home, I use a USB DAC that's connected to a 2.1 monitor setup and also to headphones.

I have always used 'System volume' because I sometimes play games, do web browser stuff, etc. where I need a volume slider.

But with the introduction of Loudness in Media Center, I want to use internal volume.[/quote]

Exact Setup I have, except I use the Vol Control on my 2.1 Amp to control the speakers and the Vol Control on the DAC for the HeadPhone.  So I want to leave my MC Vol at 100% all the time, but I find it keeps getting reset back to 30% (ish) and is very unresponsive to drag it back to 100%. 

Any advice?

I don't know why Loudness is tied to Internal Vol and not just a DSP so it works like all other processing .. would the issue to go away + it would then work with all types of Vol (which I did not even know existed till this feature was introduced!)
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 02:22:15 pm »

I don't know why Loudness is tied to Internal Vol and not just a DSP so it works like all other processing .. would the issue to go away + it would then work with all types of Vol (which I did not even know existed till this feature was introduced!)

I was thinking of you when I wrote this today.  The instructions section explains:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76608

rjm

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 02:22:44 pm »

It seems you have found a way for your keyboard volume keys to control MC's internal volume. I have not yet figured out how to do this. The volume keys on my keyboard always control system volume.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 02:25:01 pm »

It seems you have found a way for your keyboard volume keys to control MC's internal volume. I have not yet figured out how to do this. The volume keys on my keyboard always control system volume.

Microsoft and the keyboard programs have made a mess here.  Each OS and version of the keyboard programs move the ball.  If I sound grumpy about it, it's because I am.

You could try installing or uninstalling Intellitype.  Win8 also seems better (after some initial heartache) in this department.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 02:29:30 pm »

I too use System Volume for the same reason as you, but would like to use Loudness for quiet mornings.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 02:36:55 pm »

You could also think about getting away from system volume altogether. I haven't touched it in a while. I play games, do web browser stuff, etc. and use internal volume with the loopback at both home and work. Since you added the change below, both my Microsoft and Logitech keyboards always control internal volume even if JRiver doesn't have focus. I use Windows 7 32-bit at work and Windows 7 64-bit at home and don't install any extra keyboard software.

18.0.70 (11/6/2012)
2. Fixed: Volume hotkeys (remote or keyboard) were running the system volume instead of the Media Center volume (which might be set to 'Internal Volume', etc.) on Windows 8.

Here are my suggestions:
1.  Make a setting that keeps JRiver in loopback mode when playback is stopped or Netflix/Hulu are used in Theater View. This would allow all audio to go through JRiver and internal volume/loudness to always be used. Currently the loopback is set as one of my car radio buttons. I can just push the button and switch to the game/browser.

2.  Create a dummy soundcard driver that can be set as default so people don't have to install drivers or add an audio device in order to use loopback.

Of course one would need to still have the system volume at maximum when using WASAPI so your addition is nice - especially for those that send the audio via PCM over HDMI and control volume at the receiver.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 02:39:57 pm »

I should have added that both Microsoft Intellitype and Logitech Setpoint both take over my keyboard and don't allow internal volume to work properly with JRiver.

rjm

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 02:43:36 pm »

I do not have Intellitype installed and as per previous advice I uninstalled SetPoint but it made no difference so I reinstalled it.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 03:24:16 pm »

I was thinking of you when I wrote this today.  The instructions section explains:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76608

Ahhh - I'm even more stupid than that.  I just realised that (of course) leaving MC at 100% Vol and adjusting the physical Vol on my 2.1 desktop amp or the headphone vol on the DAC defeats the whole purpose anyway!
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 04:19:33 pm »

I hadn't seen this before, but I have the EXACT SAME ISSUE.

I've posted about it before, but I'd love a solution.  All of my volume control is done through my Denon, because otherwise my Wife gets confused (and either blasted out of her chair, or web video is so quiet you can't hear it).

I hate this, and would much rather use software volume and leave the Denon set at 0.0dB, but I can't.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 04:40:03 pm »

I hate this, and would much rather use software volume and leave the Denon set at 0.0dB, but I can't.
The default 0.0dB on a receiver is usually attenuated by 16-18 dB from the max depending on the receiver brand. This is to allow the user to adjust for differences in speaker efficiency, to account for bass management, and to allow the user to increase volume on their center speaker or subwoofer, among other things. I think you really want to set it to +16/+18 dB unless you hear too much noise. Essentially you are treating the amp section of your Denon as a standalone amp. Consumer standalone amps like the Emotiva amps are always at max.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 04:42:58 pm »

So I want to leave my MC Vol at 100% all the time, but I find it keeps getting reset back to 30% (ish) and is very unresponsive to drag it back to 100%.
This is caused by using Volume Protection. It resets the volume after 30 minutes and makes it difficult to go to 100% too quickly.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 05:33:55 pm »

Got it!  Thanks
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 11:49:08 am »

I use ASIO for output with my home and work computers. I wondered if that is why my volume control worked so well. I just tried Direct Sound, WASAPI and WASAPI - Event Style and my keyboard volume control still works all the time to control JRiver's internal volume - even with loopback and the browser having focus. My system volume always stayed at 100%.

I also tried:  making my audio device the default audio device, turning on system sounds, and changing the Creative card from audio creation mode to entertainment mode. None of these changes kept my keyboard's volume control from controlling JRiver's internal volume.

I stumped as to why it works for me and not others. I think I've tried it with about 4 different audio devices, both 32 and 64-bit Windows 7, and both Microsoft and Logitech keyboards and it always works. I'm going to try another brand keyboard in just a moment.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 11:58:15 am »

I just tried an IOGEAR GKM541R multimedia keyboard and it always controls internal volume, too.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 04:58:44 pm »

NEW: Added the WASAPI - Event Style option 'Maximize hardware volume during playback'.

I want this option for ASIO too.  And it should clear the mute state.

My wife couldn't get sound on the theater speakers today.  It turns out the hardware had gotten muted.  No idea how, since it's not the default audio device and Media Center uses internal volume.

Regardless, if the program would just fix this problem for me it would be best.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 05:20:34 pm »

Shouldn't this be called "Maximize device volume" to correspond with Windows 7 nomenclature? I just tried it out and that is what is does on my computer.

ASIO bypasses volume including mute/unmute except on Creative cards.

Edit:  I just noticed my post count (1441) is a Palindrome.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 05:36:35 pm »

I just noticed my post count (1441) is a Palindrome.
And today's date is 1221 12.  No more of these for quite a while.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 08:36:29 pm »

So if you are all using the MC Internal Vol Control, what level do you leave your Headphone and Speaker Amp on?  Do you set them at 100%, 80%, 50%, ?  If it is at a high level don't you tend to hear line noise and if something spikes the input you are going to do some damage!
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up