INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few questions about J River  (Read 1702 times)

Datman

• World Citizen
A few questions about J River
« on: December 24, 2012, 04:20:22 pm »

First off I really like this player. When I 1st tried  it I could not get it to play smooth but on the 2nd time I was able to make use of the setup suggestions that were given to me and it works great now so I bought it, Thanks for all the work that has been put in to it.

It’s taking me some time to figure it out. It’s nice that that 7.1 audio is fully supported. This is the purpose of this post. PDVD 11 did not support 7.1 through the analogs. With JRiver if it’s 6 or 7.1 it shows it as 7 or 8 channels.  Something I’m just discovering is almost all my full BD25 that should be 7.1 are actually in 6 channels. A few like Star wars 4, 5 and 6 that are 6.1 and have the dedicated back channel, almost all the others do not work properly. I even checked a few of the originals like Hugo 3D and LORs  they are also read as a 5.1.

What I’m not sure is it an Anydvd rip or a BDRB encode or the movie studio’s errors.

On the 3 star wars movies only 4 has audio being passed to the back channel 5 and 6 are seen as a 6.1 movie but the back channel is dead silent through the entire movie. 

Datman

• World Citizen
Re: A few questions about J River
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 07:35:34 pm »

and I don't fully understand why all movies are seen as 32bit and passed as 24 bit. Even AC3 16/48 448 dolby.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 08:42:24 pm »

Actually it's something with JRiver all the titles when played in PDVD 11 in the information window shows the correct audio channels on backups and originals. I guess I'm just hung up on technical gobbly goop.  5.1 7.1 all sound about the same a matixed back is just as good.

A few backups are seen as 24bit while 95% are seen as 32bit all have been processed with BDRB to BD5, BD9 or BD25 (keeping HD audio)  Why is that?

Ancient_Audiophile

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 11:53:47 pm »

Back some years ago, 5.1 was the new high tech format.   Then later 6.1 was released.   More recently, 7.1 format was announced.

Any movies that were released when 7.1 was not yet announced, are not in 7.1 format.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 03:32:34 am »

According to Blu-Ray stats (http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php?OrderBy=ReleaseDate&pSize=50&p=1) , under 1% of disks have a 6.1 track and only 6.5% have a 7.1 track.  5.1 still accounts for 80% of the market.
JRiver CEO Elect

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 11:50:41 am »

I understand this and like I said the difference between a matrixed and discrete back channel really can't be heard.

I'm curious about the irregularities in how JRiver reads these movies. I have to use analog outputs so I have no other way to cross reference these details.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 11:57:48 am »

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up