INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with ripping problem  (Read 1669 times)

delin

• Recent member
Need help with ripping problem
« on: July 05, 2012, 07:54:59 pm »

I need help with a ripping problem. In your replies please assume a very low level of comfort with computer applications.

I purchased V17 in April. I had no problem ripping CDs until the last 3 or 4 days.

When I attempt to rip I get the following message:

"The output directory could not be created for one or more files. Please double-check the output directory in the ripping options"

For whatever reason(s) I can't seem to make sense of this advice in relation to available options. Though I don't know if it will be helpful, here's some information about my set-up:

I do most of my ripping from a laptop sitting next to my stereo system. The laptop uses Vista. Audio is saved to an external hard drive attached to a desktop that uses Windows 7 and accessed through a wireless network.

Additionally, I can't rip from the desktop either and I get the same message about the output directory. Also the options selected for J River differ a bit. The laptop uses an external DAC and WASPI Event, the desktop uses an internal soundcard and Direct.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did see a chain about a similar problem that someone had using V15 of Media Center, but I couldn't make much sense of the responses.

Thanks in advance

delin

• Recent member
Re: Need help with ripping problem
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 09:54:30 am »

I'm posting the message again in hope that someone will offer some help.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 10:35:35 am »

Try the latest build of MC17.  It's at the top of this board.  It's 17.0.180.

Check the file locations in Tools/Options/File Locations.

delin

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 07:50:51 pm »

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately loading the updated version of Media Center 17 didn't change anything.

Against the possibility of my incorrectly following instructions, I want to indicate where I entered the path to the external hard drive. I entered the path into "Audio" within "File Location." I did not change it elsewhere, including "Audio" under "Conversion Cache" Did I do this correctly?

Finally I had no trouble ripping when I set a path to the C drive of my laptop. I also was able to rip successfully to the C drive of my desktop using the original version of Media Center 17. Unfortunately, I do not have enough space on my laptop to load everything I might want.

Any additional ideas?

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:43:29 pm »

Possibility--have you used a flash drive (on the desktop) or anything else that might cause Windows to re-assign the drive letter for your external hard drive? That happens a lot with me. Make sure it's the same drive letter that it used to be. If it's not, you can either change it through Windows or just have MC use the new drive letter.

iansr

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 05:44:43 pm »

Help!  I am a new user using MC v17 and I am having precisely the same problem as delin.   I have double checked the filepath of the desired location (a drive on an external NAS) and it appears to be correct - in any event I selected it by "browsing" and clicking, not typing it in.  I am using a PC running Vista.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 05:48:53 pm »

Could you download and install MC18?  MC17 is no longer sold.

iansr

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 06:31:02 pm »

V17 came loaded on the dedicated music PC I bought (not the pc I  am using to rip CDs with) and the vendor was a licensed reseller of MC 17.   I don't know if he bought his license recently enough for me to upgrade to 18 for free (has to be post July I believe).
Update on problem: I have created a new sub folder on the same external drive as my existing music folder.  It has exactly the same file path format as the existing folder and when I change location to this new folder I can rip without the problem occurring!  What's going on?
Pages: [1]   Go Up