INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got a new computer for Christmas! YIPEE! HELP in transfering files?  (Read 2800 times)

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi guys,  ;D

I got a new computer and want to move all my music files to it. I am not real computer friendly and dont have anybody that I can ask to help me with this, so I am kind of on my own here. I am a fairly new user to MJ, maybe had it a month or so.  Ive just spent a huge amount of time perfecting my music files. i.e. getting artwork, correcting track numbers, adding the correct year, even rated and commented on songs.  Ive made a huge amount of playlists, and would really like to keep all these things!!   I am a somewhat of a perfectionist, as I am sure most of us music freaks are!   8)   

My plan was to:

1.  Back up all my music files from old computer to an external hard drive.
2.  Install MJ14 on the new computer.
3.  Transfer my external hard drive information to new computer

Then I am lost after that.... ?

I really want to keep all this information that I spent so much time perfecting, and try to keep playlists also.  I have time to get everything I need done on the old computer before downloading to external.  So are there things I should do first?

Any help? Tips?

Thank you, I appreciate it! 

(I don't know if it matters, but I am using MJ 14 and my old computer is running Win7, new one is Win8)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken!  If it's broken and you can't fix it, shoot it!

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Got a new computer for Christmas! YIPEE! HELP in transfering files?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 10:07:00 pm »

I use Media Center 18 so it's not the same, but here's the steps I believe you'd do...

backup all music files to external hard drive as you said
backup the media jukebox library.  This is a menu option in Media Center, hopefully the same for you.
copy music files from external hard drive to new computer's drive
install MJ on new computer
restore library in MJ
if music files aren't in the exact same drive and folder structure on new computer, you'll need to do a find/replace in MJ to point it at the new file location.

Best I can do without actually using that app.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 10:20:19 pm »

Isn't the other option to use Windows Easy Transfer Wizard to that will move all the user data, account info, music, pics etc etc from the old to the new PC then just install MJ on the new PC?
JRiver CEO Elect

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 07:50:43 pm »

Isn't the other option to use Windows Easy Transfer Wizard to that will move all the user data, account info, music, pics etc etc from the old to the new PC then just install MJ on the new PC?

OHH Thank you!!!!!   I was unaware this wizard was on my computer.   Hopefully  I can back up my MJ library and then save that file (wherever it is) on my external also, I just need to find the JRiver files!!   ?  Any help??

If I can save those files it seems like that will restore the information just as I had it on my old computer.   ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broken!  If it's broken and you can't fix it, shoot it!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 10:58:30 pm »

Give the wizard a go as I think you will find it will move everything but the program itself...so you then just need to install it.
JRiver CEO Elect

kurushi

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 03:21:17 pm »

i think it 'll be more safe to import database of MJ into MC but it would be better to locate playlist and to do a complete rescan of you're library (tags cover art and infos are embedded in you'r emusic files i suppose so you don't lost them ) then put the playlist in the same folder of you're music files (or whatever but it's better to have all in one place)
Another suggestion if you make a backup on a external hard drive make an MC install on the external hardrive in portable mode so if u go on other computer (eg: you're friend's computer) you can launch MC installed on the hardrive and you can use MC without to need to install on the other computer and all settings are saved so it's basically MC everywhere you are ;)
On my HD for back up i have MC14,15,16,17 and i can retrieve my favorite views for each one it's very good to schow u library the way you want in one click ^^
Pages: [1]   Go Up