INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: determining the best upgrade for AVP  (Read 1773 times)

Jovi1964

• Recent member
determining the best upgrade for AVP
« on: December 26, 2012, 08:15:13 am »

I've been reading forums and visiting stereo stores for months trying to determine the best value for the money to replace my Onkyo TX-NR807.  It was satisfactory in 2009, but I've since out grown it. Looking for ideas where to go next with my quest for better sound, which may include AVP, DAC and/or sound card.  I'm playing all movies and music from my HTPC.  I love the J River MC.  I'd also like to be able to shut the TV off when listening to music only which I'm not currently able to do without killing the sound.

Current build:
Onkyo TX-NR807
Furman ELITE-15 DM i
Anthem Amp: PVA 8 (8 channels, RCA inputs, 125 continuous watts per channel)
Paradigm S6 v3 (right, left and center)
Monitor Audio GS 10 (2009) rears
Outlaw ECS-10 (x2) (one next to each front)
Velodyne DSL-R (rear)
Panasonic TCP60GT30
HTPC (i7 Processor, 4-3 TB HDs, 120 SSHD for OS, Gigabyte GE Force GT640 Video card, ASRock Extreme 6, 8 Gig Ram)
Kimber Kables (due in January 2013)
PS3
Wii

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: determining the best upgrade for AVP
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 09:48:49 am »

Since you already have an amp and your sources are all on the PC, you don't really need a receiver. You might consider going the multichannel DAC or soundcard route that several of us use. Here are some options:

External
exaSound e18
Lynx Aurora 8
Echo AudioFire12
Steinberg MR816x
Steinberg UR824 - This is what I use.
M-Audio ProFire 610 (only 5.1)
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 (only 5.1)

Internal
HT Claro halo XT
Asus Essence ST with H6 daughtercard
LynxTwo-B (only 5.1)

Jovi1964

• Recent member
Re: determining the best upgrade for AVP
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 02:55:31 pm »

Mojave,

Thanks for your response.  I ended up purchasing the Marantz AV8801.  At first, I had a bit of buyer's remorse because I was perhaps a bit impulsive with the purchase.  However, after spending some time with it I'm quite impressed.  I particuarly appreciate being able to play everything from the HTPC in Zone2.  I was told that I wouldn't be able to do this because there were only DACs for Zone1.  However, this isn't the case.  I also like being able to control the unit from a web-interface via the IP or through a remote app on my phone, and of course from the remote for the unit.

The 192 kHz/32-bit audio DACs for all channels do an excellent job of producing great sound.  I expect the unit to sound better over time as the circuits break-in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up