INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Regressions found in JRiver 18 [Solved 3 of 4]  (Read 1216 times)

klauss

• Recent member
Regressions found in JRiver 18 [Solved 3 of 4]
« on: December 27, 2012, 12:34:00 pm »

I have been using JRiver 17 for quite some time. It's been working great in a client / server configuration. Last week I decided to upgrade to JRiver 18. Unfortunately, I ran into multiple regressions using that configuration:
1: When I stop watching a show on one PC the position where I stopped is not stored. When I continue watching on another one the show starts from the beginning
2: I can't delete shows. I delete a show on one PC and it no longer shows up until I restart or I use another PC. The shows are not deleted on the server. i.e. even the files stay on the server

3: The JRiver client hangs / crashes in the following scenario. On my Windows Pro 8 client after I watched a show and stopped it, I select it again to delete it. After I hit enter to select the show the client hangs and will not recover. Windows tells me that the application has stopped responding and I need to close it.

The following issues seem to be unrelated to my client / server configuration
4: I record shows using an HDHomeRun receiver. In Version 17 I got a nice icon for the show in the recording list and I got a 'preview window' showing a frame of the recording. That's no longer the case. My 'old' downloaded shows from bong.tv display just fine.

More data about my config:
My 'server' run Windows 7 Ultimate. It runs the JRiver server and has all media files stored
I have two clients that runs Windows 7 Ultimate. They use the 'server' as the lib server. They show all issues mentioned above with the exception of '3'
I have one client that runs Windows 8. It also uses the 'server' as the lib server. It shows all issues mentioned above.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Regressions found in JRiver 18
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 12:37:51 pm »

Are you using 18.0.103?

klauss

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 01:06:06 pm »

I am using .100. My clients are configured for stable updates. I will try .103 and report back

klauss

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 01:14:21 pm »

Just tried .103. Issue 4 has been fixed. However, 1-3 still apply.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 01:32:48 pm »

Do you have MC set to sync changes?  It requires a login and password.

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 02:21:35 pm »

You can manually select "Sync changes with library server" from the file menu.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

klauss

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 02:28:37 pm »

I had the username and password configured. However, the setting 'Auto Sync with server' was not set. I turned it on. This addresses 1. and 2. below. I would suggest that this setting should be automatically turned on when the client is configured to work with a library server. That would have avoided my confusion.

I still have a lot of hangs on Windows 8. I actually see more. Just quick browsing through my video collection causes frequent hangs. The one mentioned below is reproducible for me every time.

BTW: Thanks for the fast responses. Quite appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Regressions found in JRiver 18 [Solved 3 of 4]
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 02:32:17 pm »

Make sure you have the same build installed on all PC's.

The problem remaining may be video driver related.

klauss

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 09:37:03 pm »

I installed the same build (103) on all machines. The video driver is up to date. I also tried the AMD driver for my card (versus the out of box for Windows 8). Same result: Frequent crashes. Turning h/w acceleration on makes no difference; I still get crashes. I can turn 'Red October HQ' on (my machine is not fast enough for it), however, with 'HQ' turned on I no longer see any crashes. It does slow down my video (since my machine / video is not fast enough). This makes me believe there is a timing issue that is causing my machine to crash. BTW: This does happen on Win 7 as well, but it happens less frequently for me.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 07:43:21 am »

There is a known problem with converting WMV.  What type of video are you playing?
Pages: [1]   Go Up