INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: import library from folder/file names?  (Read 1749 times)

aysil

• Recent member
import library from folder/file names?
« on: December 27, 2012, 06:34:20 am »

I have an extensive music rip collection with no tags. The music is organized in this folder structure:
Music Folder\<Artist>\<Album>\<Track#>-<Title>
In the folder named after the Album, in addition to the tracks, there is also a jpg file named "folder.jpg" which is the album artwork.
When I add these folders to JRiver library, I just get thousands of tracks with one unassigned artist and unknown album. Can I set JRiver to "understand" the Artist and Album names from the folder names so that it builds a library with this information? Changing the folder/file name rules in Options did not help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: import library from folder/file names?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 06:46:50 am »

There is a Library Tool called "Move, Copy, Rename" that can use the directory information to fill the tags.  Try a few before you do very many.

Auto Import also has options that may help.  Choose a directory and edit it.

gappie

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 07:05:59 am »

when you rightclick on a file, choose library tools>fill properties from filename. you could see if automatic would work, but else you can use and change the templates.

:)
gab

aysil

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 04:22:07 pm »

Many thanks, "library tools>fill properties from filename" and choosing the template solved it for me.

Could I have done this if the files were on a read-only disk? I mean, have I changed anything on the original folders (by adding tags) or did the tagging happen only in the database?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 08:55:02 pm »

By default, MC will attempt to push back library tag changes back to the files themselves.  But you might have disabled this (I don't recall if there is an install option to disable this or not).  You can disable Tag writing so that MC won't generate errors trying to write to read-only file systems.  Since a number of items will may be written to the file or the file's folder (tags, analysis info, cover art, sidecar files), you'll want to configure MC specifically for your use case.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up