INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding a new library which already exists on disk?  (Read 2045 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
Adding a new library which already exists on disk?
« on: December 14, 2012, 05:46:14 pm »

I've recreated my media pool on a new system and in the process discovered that the library on my previous system only has been backed up sporadically. I've been of the opinion that backups were created on a continous basis automatically (as .zip files). Iwas obviously wrong. I do have the original library ("raw" not zipped) since this was stored on a server share.

My questions:

(i) Is it possible to set up scheduled backups (to .zip)?

(ii) I've tried to add a new library and set the path to the previous library (library manager\add library) since the explanation ("Enter a path to an existing library [...]" ) for this function implies that an old library can be selected. Why does this function then respond with "Cannot create a new library at the specified location"? Is this even possible?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: Adding a new library which already exists on disk?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 06:31:52 pm »

MC does make backups automatically.

Tools->Options->File Locations->Library Backups

My library is backed up approximately every 3-5 days. You might try checking your backup folder.

The "raw" library is stored at C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Library

It might be possible to copy your old library details to the new location, but I've never tried it and I'd be surprised if it worked properly. Have you pointed library manager at that location?

raldo

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 06:07:28 am »

Yes, I've tried to point the library manager at that location. That's when I'm getting "Cannot create a new library at the specified location".

As I wrote in my previous post, the option in the librarymanager kind of hints that it should be possible to point to an older library  ("Enter a path to an existing library [...]" )

So my question still stands: Is it somehow possible to point to a "raw" library in the library manager or to import, somehow,  a "raw" library?

raldo

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:47:47 am »

Bump...

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:21:44 am »

Try moving the entire old Library directory elsewhere, like in your My Documents.  Then, try to add that.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

gappie

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 11:25:52 am »

in the older versions i always let it point to an existing lib. dont know why it would not work. but if so, what i would try is create a new lib on a location you like, close mc, move the files from the new lib somewhere else, just to be sure, and put the old lib files there...

:)
gab

raldo

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 07:52:27 am »

Thanks for the tips, I'll try this and report back here when I get back home tonight.

raldo

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 06:24:04 am »

Try moving the entire old Library directory elsewhere, like in your My Documents.  Then, try to add that.

in the older versions i always let it point to an existing lib. dont know why it would not work. but if so, what i would try is create a new lib on a location you like, close mc, move the files from the new lib somewhere else, just to be sure, and put the old lib files there...

:)
gab

Neither method seems to work...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 07:07:46 am »

Try loading your library in the version with which it was made, making a backup, then loading the backup with MC18.

raldo

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 02:57:26 am »

Try loading your library in the version with which it was made, making a backup, then loading the backup with MC18.

That's basically what I'm trying to do. It seems like the might be corrupt, then.
Pages: [1]   Go Up