INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FIXED: Windows Standard Photo Ratings not Imported  (Read 2124 times)

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
FIXED: Windows Standard Photo Ratings not Imported
« on: December 27, 2012, 01:59:50 pm »

A search brought up (only?) several threads and neither actually contained a good answer to the problem.  I rate photos with a professional image management application (ACDSee Pro6) which embeds it's metadata into tags that Windows and other applications are able to read.  I have confirmed that the embedding is complete and I can see the ratings in Win Explorer (and Win Live Gallery, Win Media Player, Adobe Bridge/Creative Suite apps, etc.)  However, photo ratings are not imported into MC18.  In MC, the "Rating" tag shows "? stars".

I suspect it's because ratings are stored in XMP tags and there's no official standard for the ratings tag.  However, if Windows and other programs read the rating, then there's no reason why MC shouldn't be able to (rather, MC should read these).

Here's some specifics that should help track down the metadata fields in question:
I have an image that does display the rating in MC.  That's because I used to manually create the tags in a commandline utility in a pretty onerous process.  For this image, the ratings are contained in the following fields (derived from the Raw XMP data):
Code: [Select]
<rdf:Description rdf:about='' xmlns:xap='http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/'>  
<xap:ModifyDate>2011-05-05T18:36:05.34-6:00</xap:ModifyDate>  
<xap:Rating>5</xap:Rating>
</rdf:Description>

For a second photo where the rating does not show correctly in MC (but does almost everywhere else) the rating is stored in a similar, but slightly different way:
Code: [Select]
<rdf:Description rdf:about="" xmlns:xmp="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/">  
<xmp:Rating>4</xmp:Rating>  
<xmp:Label/>  

Hopefully, the devs can make the MC image rating import a little more universal so I can finally use it to serve photos over DLNA.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Windows Standard Photo Ratings not Imported
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 02:06:08 pm »

This sounds like an easy fix, we'll take a look at it when we're back in the office on Monday.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 02:19:36 pm »

Awesome!  Happy Holidays!

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 02:24:58 pm »

Can you send me an example image with the ratings field that won't import?  Thanks.
johnt at jriver dot com

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 03:50:58 pm »

Sent an email with 3 photos attached.  Let me know if you need anything else.

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 12:31:26 pm »

This has been fixed for the next build (build 106 or higher).

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 03:20:41 pm »

I updated MC and it seems to be working now.  My Best Photos from Past Year Smartlist now actually shows photos.  Thanks!

I should note for any others looking for this that, since the images were already imported into my library, I had to browse Drives & Devices to my photo folder (checking Show Files in Subfolders and Show Only Files in Library) and perform an Update Library (from tags) before the ratings showed up.  You might want to break this process into pieces for large libraries (I apparently took 22,511 photos in 2011).

NaranKPatel

Re: FIXED: Windows Standard Photo Ratings not Imported
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 01:18:52 am »

Are iTunes music imported with specific star ratings covered in this fix? As I noticed those music file specific ratings disappear after importing into Media Center 18 recent builds still trying out 106 to see if this still happens.

The steps I took are export into text file playlists and Music folder itself and import this into Media Center 18.

geiselb

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 11:45:59 am »

I just wanted to jump in and say THANK YOU to JRiver for finally getting this image rating tag use to be consistent with the windows file system image rating tag.  Due to this limitation in past versions of MC, I had built various views in MC and custom searches in Windows in order to be able to manually synchronize the rating tag.  No longer! Thanks.

3car

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 06:47:53 pm »

MC18 successfully IMPORTS the image rating that I see in Windows Explorer (Windows 7).  But if I change the rating in MC18.0.206, it doesn't EXPORT it back to the file.  I don't seen anything in Windows Explorer, Photoshop file info, or any other program that I have.  

If I change a rating, then do "Update Tags (from library)" for a particular image, it says "1 files updated (0 failures)", but nothing actually happens.  

Any ideas?

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 08:43:16 am »

MC18 successfully IMPORTS the image rating that I see in Windows Explorer (Windows 7).  But if I change the rating in MC18.0.206, it doesn't EXPORT it back to the file.  I don't seen anything in Windows Explorer, Photoshop file info, or any other program that I have. 

If I change a rating, then do "Update Tags (from library)" for a particular image, it says "1 files updated (0 failures)", but nothing actually happens. 

Any ideas?

I can reproduce this and we'll look into it.  Thanks for the report. 
Adam Thompson, JRiver
Pages: [1]   Go Up