INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: large library, allowing ticking of tags would make my job so much easier...  (Read 3531 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

I know i've asked this before, but wanted to re-touch on it being i'm diving into tagging large sections again...

any possibility to allow for ticking of tags as you have allowed for keywords?
I have a pretty big library, and have started again tagging my music, and noticed the headaches i'm running into...
when going to all artists, i have 18 different 2Pac artists... 2Pac, 2 Pac, 2-Pac, 2_pac, 2Pac feat blah blah, 2pac vs blah blah., etc...

Well when i goto say 2-pac there are 5 songs with different artists ONTOP of the 2-pac (example, 2-Pac;Jay-z; Snoop Dogg, and then another that has 2-Pac; Notorious BIG, another 2-Pac; Lil Kim). so i have to goto to each song then select 2-Pac, then change it to 2Pac. if ticking were allowed like in keywords i could just select 2-Pac in tree then click on artist/ArtistS and untick 2-pac and type in 2Pac (basically killing 5 total steps) it would speed up my process considerably.
 (right now i'm sitting at 33864 Artists, which i obviously don't have that many... many are duplicates/misspellings etc)

If you guys could enable this option as you've done with keywords it would help me out alot...
Tags i use daily where i run into this issue are genre, Artist/ArtistS, Album.

Would this be possible? it wouldnt have to effect others here maybe you could just make a toggle in settings to allow us to enable it?

Crossing fingers
Thanks!

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

Make it 2 steps:

1. Select all tracks
2. Library Tools > Find and Replace, selecting Artist, and Find what: 2-Pac, Replace: 2Pac
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rick.ca

If you guys could enable this option as you've done with keywords it would help me out alot...
Tags i use daily where i run into this issue are genre, Artist/ArtistS, Album.

What MrC says. But I'm having difficulty understanding what you mean. [Genre], [Artist] and (I assume) your [ArtistS] fields are List fields. As such, don't they behave exactly like [Keywords]? If [ArtistS] is an expression field, however, you can't change it directly—you would have to change the relevant field it's referring to. So for a pervasive inconsistency (e.g., as 2Pac seems to be), I would use Find and Replace, but with all affected fields selected (i.e., [Artist] and [ArtistS] or whatever fields it's referring to). For less pervasive inconsistencies, you should be able to use the same tagging techniques you use with [Keywords]—on List fields that are not Expression fields.

HTPC4ME

i will have to give you both credit. using find/replace(which i've been deathly afraid of) has cut down my load by 12,000 files instantly) i chose all artistS and typed in ft. and then replaced with ; and my total artistS have shrunk considerably. I also did a vs. and replaced with ; and that has also shrunk my work load.

Why on earth would someone ask what i've been asking for for years...
1. Genres
It is not possible to have multiple genre's with out using ;

rick.ca

It is not possible to have multiple genre's with out using ;

How is it possible to have multiple values with no delimiter to separate them? What, exactly, are you trying to do?

HTPC4ME

that wasn't suppose to post.. i had hit tab to give you tree type answers and for some reason it posted.. i'm still trying to make this as easy as possible to understand. i'll get back with you. screen capturing now, and making notes, it's to tough to explain in words (ive been trying to explain it here for years since you guys ALLOWED for tick boxes for keywords)

Others who use jriver, and been in my library when i've shown them they understand 100% and agree it is a HUGE life waster for me. every day i tag, i must do multiple steps repetitively due to not having tick boxes in artist and genre. and having to use artistS and keywords instead, and then having to copy over all ArtistS and keywords over to Artist, and genre.
Thanks for showing interest.
brb
may take a bit i have to test if vids will work here... never seen anyone do video screens here. hoping photobucket will work. otherwise may have to upload to my youtube account, then delete after you have seen issues.

HTPC4ME

well although sloppy, and a chop job with no spelling corrections. i'm quite impressed and think now you will understand my dilemma.
All 3 vids are on my youtube channel, with no availability to view UNLESS you click these links. meaning they are not public, only those in this topic can see them... once seen, downloaded, shared with appropriate jriver officials (lol) Let me know and i will delete them for good.
all must be watched in HD (otherwise to blurry)
ArtistS instead of artist - link down
Benefit Of Tick Boxes over ; using keywords  - link down
Tagging process with and without tick boxes - link down

So ya guys gonna have this cleaned for up for me by next version update? (Teasing :) )With the time you'll save me, confusion, and repairs. I could find some enjoyment making a video of the things i love about jriver (in a much cleaner fashion)
In all seriousness though...Thanks for your time and help...Much appreciated.

HTPC4ME

what is this world coming to, can't even have media playing in the background?
i spent way to much time on this to redo.. uploading elsewhere. will provide links.

HTPC4ME

thats what we need :) an Auto Library Shazamer! lol

HTPC4ME

ok, finally.. i just removed all the audio. no more copyright issues.
so... same as before, videos are hidden, and only available through this link, and will delete when told.
i recommend viewing in best quality at fullscreen/sorry quality has dropped upon removing audio track and re-rendering, but the processes are visible.

ArtistS instead of artist - Link Down

Benefit Of Tick Boxes over ; using keywords  - Link Down

Tagging process with and without tick boxes - Link Down

rick.ca

Re: large library, allowing ticking of tags would make my job so much easier...
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 02:32:41 am »

I suspect most of your issue results from the fact [Artist] and [Genre] use the Standard edit type despite being a List data type. [Keywords] and other list fields use a List edit type (i.e., with checkboxes, etc.).

I wonder if a simple solution would be to change these fields so they use the List edit type, and change that slightly so the box at the top is a regular edit box rather than an 'Add' (a term to the list) box. If it displayed a semicolon-delimited list of the existing data followed by an ';', and moved the cursor to the end, this would allow adding an item to a list exactly as it does now. It would also allow editing the value in various different ways that would be more efficient than using the checkboxes or Edit all with text editor in some situations. But the same thing would serve equally well for editing these fields when they're used as single-value string fields. It would even look the same if the box showing the multiple values did not appear unless there were more than one existing value.

Just a thought. I'm sure I'm forgetting many of the nuances of how these things work. It may be a can of worms the developers don't care to reopen anytime soon.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 02:47:49 am »

well if that's the case, just a reply would be nice.... and i'll stop asking, but from someone ignorant with code, or who doesnt have a clue how programming works... it obviously seems simple as pie. just grab what ever you did with keywords (copy that code) and place it in genre, and artist. and i can do away with artistS and keywords:)

But i do realize just like anything in this world things aren't as easy as one may think.

Thanks for having a look rick, And I hope you or others may be able to have a debate about this.
I'd love to be able to do away with keywords and artistS completely, and spend less time tagging, and more time enjoying.

Thanks again. Will keep an eye on this topic.

P.S. for those who haven't read the whole topic. I have already mentioned NOT changing a thing, just adding an option in settings(turn on tick boxes/turn off tick boxes for those of us who would benefit from this feature.)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 04:15:55 am »

last peep from me i promise:)

But one more important thing to note... As you are all aware, jriver now has Get Movie/TV info. so.. on imports when I use get movie/TV info. JRiver fills in the genre field with appropriate genres from imdb/tvdb.. and ALSO fills in keywords.

So how does this effect me/others using artistS/Keywords instead of Artist/Genre?

Well after every import i have to goto tag keywords, then UN-tick all keywords that jirver automatically filled in (those informed with get movie/tv info will know sometimes there can be 30-40 keywords) well after i've UN-ticked all those keywords (i've established why in videos) Then i have to goto the genre tag and copy all those that jriver found via the net and then insert them into keywords, and then i can add my custom keywords (genres) to the list as well. Example the documentary "Manufacturing Landscapes". In Get info, it tagged it as a genre of documentary (nothing else). But once i moved it to keywords then i gave it more tags of... Documentaries Must See's, Shows Teens Need to Watch,  500 top Movies, etc...

so basically I'm not able to use JRiver's wonderful Get Info to it's full potential, by me having to edit the genre and keywords, then copy keywords back to genre i'm adding alot of extra work, when really i shouldn't have to redo what jriver has perfected.

rick.ca

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 04:41:28 am »

so basically I'm not able to use JRiver's wonderful Get Info to it's full potential, by me having to edit the genre and keywords, then copy keywords back to genre i'm adding alot of extra work, when really i shouldn't have to redo what jriver has perfected.

Can't help you there. I've never understood why a system inviting so many conflicts and restrictions was implemented. A simpler more flexible system would have been easier to use and much easier to develop. I can only be pleased I haven't wasted any time trying to make it work. ;)

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 05:24:21 am »

..then UN-tick all keywords that jirver automatically filled in (those informed with get movie/tv info will know sometimes there can be 30-40 keywords)

you don't need to untick, add expression [keywords]
then select all,f2,delete
MT5FR

vagskal

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 11:59:21 am »

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to achieve, but have you tried this.

Add a custom field, named [artists] for example, with Data type List and Edit type List. Press OK to save the custom field and close the Options dialog and open it again and change the custom field to contain Calculated data with the expression [artist]&datatype=[list]. Make a column in the grid with your new custom field and edit that field in the grid, with checkboxes - the changes will carry over to the stock [Artist] field (and be saved to the file tags if that option is selected for the stock [Artist] field). You can do the same with the stock [Composer], [Genre] and [Publisher] fields.

It is not intuitive, but it works for me.

(Please disregard, if I have misunderstood what you are after.)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 12:20:39 pm »

I'm going to have to be quite honest and ask Rick.ca if he'd be so kind to watch my back (speak on my behalf) on extra work I may get myself into here, due to the fact he's watched the videos and does understand what the issues are.

I really don't know anything about these custom fields, rules, expressions to be able to analyze if that would solve the problem or not. ( in fact years ago when i set up Keywords, ArtistS it was while holding others hands here)

Rick is this ok of me to ask of you? if not i guess i could grab some files and start a new library on my laptop. and try all these suggestions.

I appreciate all the replies, and sincerely hope more arise. but i don't want to start changing things over on main library due to the fact i'd have to change all my views in standard view, gizmo, and theaterview (lots of customized views using ArtistS and Keywords)... I'd like, if possible to just change them once after everyone agrees upon the best route to tackle this.

vagskal

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 12:41:06 pm »

There is no risk involved in trying out what I suggested. If you already have a custom field named [ArtistS] just select another name for the new custom field ([Artistss] or something; field names are not case sensitive). Just try what I suggested out on only one file first to see if it works for you. You can make a new test view where you add the new custom field as a column, preferably next to a column with the stock [artist] field so you can see the changes carry over. If you do not like what you see, you can just undo the changes to that one file, delete the test view and the new custom field and you are back right where you started.

The method I suggested will not get you new checkboxes (or fields) in the tag action window, but you will get them in the grid instead. You could set up special views just for tagging and use the stock fields [Artist] etc in your other views just like before.

And you can always save a library backup before trying it out, and disable all writing to file tags, just to be sure that you can always return to exactly where you were before.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 01:21:06 pm »

BY GEORGE you did it...AND search works too, and in the TAG window!

took me this whole time to figure out what you meant. but when i goto ArtistS now in the tree/J/ then J.Axel. and click on Artistss Tag. it allows me to enter a letter and they all popup, and i can hit enter, and then type next letters astr and that name showed up. :)

The method I suggested will not get you new checkboxes (or fields) in the tag action window, but you will get them in the grid instead. You could set up special views just for tagging and use the stock fields [Artist] etc in your other views just like before.
BEFORE i get toooo Excited... I'm on version 17, and you mentioned that this would not be possible in tag window. checkboxes and search are working just like keywords. Your not on 18 i hope and somethings changed? will this ability stay forever?! meaning no changes on jriver's side/they won't remove this trick you figured out? once i switch everything over, I'd like to be done with this for good.lol

MrC

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 01:36:53 pm »

...will this ability stay forever?! meaning no changes on jriver's side/they won't remove this trick you figured out? once i switch everything over, I'd like to be done with this for good.lol

You're asking for guarantees in life that aren't available.  The method suggested by vagskal is useful, and has been employed by a number of us.  In the event something changes, simple workarounds are almost always available.

As a matter of feedback to help you achieve your goals, simple questions such as "How to I accomplish X?" might facilitate better results.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 02:22:00 pm »

sounds good Mr.C.

how would you guys now proceed if you were in my shoes?
should i first do a move/replace of all keywords to genre, and all artistS to artist for audio, and video to be sure tags are moved over?
and then... it's overwhlming, i'm not sure which steps to take.
Thanks

MrC

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 02:28:29 pm »

There is never any harm in adding a new field and testing how to use it.  Don't MOVE items - just copy their contents as a test and play with how it works out for you.  If you like the results, that can be your new method.  This is safe and effective.

I think you'll find frustration if you constantly redefine your workflow with every new technique.  Instead, master how each works, and add them to your toolbox.  Think: How to Cook rather than How to Prepare this Recipe.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 03:59:06 pm »

Will give it a go... Thanks Mr.C, Vagskal, Rick.ca, and Lasse_Lus
Much appreciated.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 03:39:34 am »

There is never any harm in adding a new field and testing how to use it.  Don't MOVE items - just copy their contents as a test and play with how it works out for you.  If you like the results, that can be your new method.  This is safe and effective.

I guess if you're unsure about this, disable writing tags to files and make a library backup before experimenting. If things go south, restore the library backup you made.

And don't make more than a few changes at once, obviously ;).

HTPC4ME

transition seems to have went smoothly. thank you all.
One more question please
Can i remove all keywords now from all video files. then do a select all of all video files, and Get Info. safely? will jriver fill in only what's missing from all video files, meaning keywords. or will it over write all my tags... I'm concerned about loosing all my custom genres i've made.

Thanks.

MrC

Good to hear.

Best to first to a library backup.

Next, do a few files to start, and see how that goes.  I believe MC should not be overwriting existing data, but I'm not certain as I have only a little experience here.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day

Can i remove all keywords now from all video files. then do a select all of all video files, and Get Info. safely? will jriver fill in only what's missing from all video files, meaning keywords. or will it over write all my tags... I'm concerned about loosing all my custom genres i've made.

I *think* this will cause the Keywords to be populated again.  I do not think it will overwrite any of your data though, but I'm not positive.

I find myself deleting the keywords all the time, so I think my looking up the movies a second (or fifth) time, to see if there is updated artwork, re-populates this field every time.  I may be mistaken about it, so as suggested, do a little test.

With that said, this is the one field I wish I could 'block' from the "Get Movie and TV info..." process.  These keywords are useless, and I always delete them all; always.
pretend this is something funny

MrC

xtacbyme was using Keywords as his Genre(s) field.  Now that [Genre] is a list field, he's moved his Keywords into [Genre], so it should be safe to clear Keywords and Get Info to populate keywords from the interweb.

HTPC4ME

thanks guys, will run some tests.
you bring up a good point. it would be nice to chose what we want filled in and where. similiar to the auto-meta plugin i use to use here.

i noticed last night when using get info, that get info was filling access rating TV-G but my mpaa rating was empty. be nice like auto-meta. to instruct get info, if access rating has info, fill in mpaa, or which ever tag one would want it to fill in... or in your case, if keyword has info (then in auto-meta/getinfo settings) untick keywords. and it would just ignore keywords. Auto meta was really a neat plugin. maybe you guys can work something out with him and implement it's flexibility into get info? it also grabbed trailer links =)
Just a thought/suggestion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up