INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View: Search needs some work  (Read 636 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Theater View: Search needs some work
« on: December 29, 2012, 03:57:49 am »

I was trying to find a specific movie yesterday that has been tagged pretty well, including metadata from MC's Movie lookup tool. I was searching for Pinocchio, which I wasn't sure how to spell, so I was trying various things including "Pin" "Pinn" "Disney". That brought up lists so long difficult to browse that I gave up and manually searched through my views instead. The search interface was bringing up every instance of [Studio], [Actor], [Series], [Name] etc. that contained the string I was typing. The list of results was so long and not sorted for relevance that it kind of became useless.

If it could just show [Name] or [Title] (this might be a category I made for my multi part movies) results first, that would be a big step forward I think.

As an aside, with Android tablets and all the different apps that let you search by auto-complete, swype based typing, voice recognition, etc. Media Center's list/ four arrow approach to browsing is starting to feel a bit crusty. I wonder if there is any scope to tie the software in to hardware more to open up the browsing experience a bit?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Theater View: Search needs some work
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 08:35:01 am »

You can type by using the number pad on the remote, texting style.

Also, you could pick 'Video' from the media type roller in the search screen to remove audio and image matches.  

The search algorithm already uses pretty fancy match / relevance algorithms to find possible matches.  It works with misspellings, if you can get close.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up