INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating Library when editing tags outside MC  (Read 2676 times)

mdav

• Junior Woodchuck
Updating Library when editing tags outside MC
« on: January 02, 2013, 10:22:05 am »

How do I update the tags and library when I have edited the audio tags outside MC (Mp3tag because I was used to it)? The changes made in the tags don't show up in the tags in MC. Running MC 18.104. Auto-import is configured to update for external changes.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Updating Library when editing tags outside MC
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:28:12 am »

when you are running auto import, look at the settings for autoimport in options and make sure "update for external changes" is enabled.

mdav

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:31:26 am »

Yes it is.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 01:12:50 pm »

Are these tags that MC already has defined (check Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields...).

Some fields are mapped to MC fields.  Maybe you can indicate which tags you're not seeing updated...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

mdav

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 01:31:48 pm »

A standard field such as composer. I have removed the information there for several rips in Mp3tag. So the information there should be empty (I have looked twice in Mp3tag to really see there is no information), but the field in MC still contains the old information. I have also tried to delete the files from the library and then import them again (disabled ignore files previously deleted from library). After import the files show up with old information again! Is the tag information cached somewhere?

I haven't changed anything in > Manage Library Fields > from default. I haven't checked if there are other fields that behave the same.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 01:34:18 pm »

You can't empty a field by removing it from the tag.

This is intentional to avoid data loss.

For example, if there's no composer in the tag, does this mean it was just never saved there or that you intentionally want it emptied?

You might consider making changes inside Media Center to avoid this ambiguity.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mdav

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 01:43:39 pm »

Yes, but there also must be a way to "clear" the information in the MC library (about 15000 audio files). I have done several changes in Mp3tag so I don't (can't remember all changes) want do that afterwards in MC.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 01:45:41 pm »

Matt beat me to the post...

...I have also tried to delete the files from the library and then import them again (disabled ignore files previously deleted from library). After import the files show up with old information again! Is the tag information cached somewhere?

To respond to this part, the deleted files are moved to the Removed database, where all information is retained.  When you re-import the same file, the entry is moved from the Removed to the Main database, so the information persists.

You'll need to clear the entries from the Removed database.  Create a Smartlist, showing only items in the Removed database (paste ~d=r into Import/Export of the Smartlist dialog).  Then the Import process will create new entries that match your files.

mdav

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 03:13:43 pm »

Thanks, I will try that.

As I understand changes made in tags outside MC will show up, if the information in the tags are updated but not removed. Is that correct?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 04:20:03 pm »

Another option that should work for you would be to select all the files that have changes (or all files if you can't easily separate them), then r-click, library tools, update library (from tags), and this should re-read the tags and update the library to match.  I think this would empty your fields, but am not in a position to test, so this might not work, based on what Matt wrote above.  Easy enough to test though.  I'd test on 5-6 files before attempting on thousands.
pretend this is something funny

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 04:50:21 pm »

Another option that should work for you would be to select all the files that have changes (or all files if you can't easily separate them), then r-click, library tools, update library (from tags), and this should re-read the tags and update the library to match.  I think this would empty your fields

The same rules about not discarding data apply in that case as well.  In other words, it's the same as above.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 11:12:18 pm »

You'll need to clear the entries from the Removed database.  Create a Smartlist, showing only items in the Removed database (paste ~d=r into Import/Export of the Smartlist dialog).  Then the Import process will create new entries that match your files.

I have been trying to clean up some podcasts, and this tip seemed to be just the thing for me.  i created the smartlist fine, and there were about 1000 files in it.  I selected and deleted them all, and there are still 398 files remaining.  All seem to be TV that had been recorded with MC.  i cannot find any way to eliminate these from the removed database.

It probably isn't important, since I'm not going to record these shows again, but since I'm in the cleaning mood, I figured I'd post these strange results, and see if there is any way to fully eliminate these from the removed database.

mdav

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 01:19:22 pm »

I selected and deleted them all, and there are still 398 files remaining

I haven't gone through the whole library, but I have a similar problem. I can't get rid of a file where the album name is different from before (changed from "Uprising (The Remixes)" to "Uprising - The Remixes" . I am running Library server and it's working on the server but not on the client. I have also tried the same method on the client with smartlist and removing the album, but it still shows up after restart.

mdav

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 01:28:52 pm »

Solved: There was actually one file left (including the whole album) with no tags but with "(The Remixes)" in it's name. Removing that solved the problem on the client. I don't why it worked on the server when the file still was there. 

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 01:46:50 pm »

My situation is different, I think.  the 398 files in the removed database are not related to any files still in the database, they are actually removed from the live database, they don't exist anywhere.  They only show in the removed database, and I cannot get them out of the removed database for some reason.

Not a big deal really, but I do find it weird.

MrC

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 01:52:20 pm »

Matt explained to me once that some files in various databases may be transient and/or private to MC, used for its internal operation.  This may be one such case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up