INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FEATURE REQUEST: User Customizable (international) "Ignore Articles"  (Read 1783 times)

Otello

• World Citizen

I love the "ignore articles" option; but unfortunately it works only in english...

I think it's a little confusing to have the articles ignored only for english and not for italian, german, french, etc.; for instance, I have most of my italian prog. groups poorly listed (il Balletto di Bronzo, le Orme, etc.), same for operas (La Traviata, Un Ballo in Maschera, Das Rheingold, Les PĂȘcheurs de Perles, etc.)

May I ask to make the list of ignored articles configurable?
(BTW, I strongly suggest a configurable list, instead of an hardcoded one, as I imagine is not possible to include all the languages used on the planet :-) )

Thanks
Marco

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: FEATURE REQUEST: User Customizable (international) "Ignore Articles"
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 11:11:04 am »

I wonder if there's any harm in just ignoring articles from several languages regardless of the language you're using?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:55:53 am »

I wonder if there's any harm in just ignoring articles from several languages regardless of the language you're using?

I have to believe that sooner or later their would be...

An configurable list would be great, accommodating all.  Even a config file to edit...

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 12:11:33 pm »

I think this can be problematic.  I think of "Das Boot" as just that, not "Boat, The", and I'd perform a search as Das Boot and want to see it that way.  Although I know the translation in this case, I'm sure I don't know most translations for articles in other languages.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 12:13:14 pm »

Personally I always leave this option off.

If I call it something that starts with 'T', even if it's 'The Who', it'll be under T.  Having to figure out if I should skip a word is too much for me.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 12:21:57 pm »

Matt, I'm not sure I understand what you mean (sorry, english is not my mother language).
For sure I see no relation with the language I/you use. :-)

I suggested a configurable list because we cannot predict which music people is listening...
For instance, FOR ME a hardcoded list of articles in English, Italian, German, French and Spanish would be perfect; but I'm sure there's somebody out there listening to groups from other countries...

Take in mind you'd better only ignore the articles you need to.
For instance: if you don't need to ignore "Les" (french, plural), it's better not to include it in the ignored list, as "Les" may be a name, too.

Ciao
Marco

gappie

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 02:22:43 am »

it is a request that comes up so now and then http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46759.0

and i would like it too. atm i will find my english movies nicely. 'the fisher king' under the f etc. but a lot of german and dutch movies under the D. der himmel uber berlin, der untergang, de poolse bruid, de dominee, das leben der anderen, etc etc.

it would be really sweet if those articles could be ignored too.

:)
gab

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 02:29:00 am »

I have a few German titles to. Not so many that it's a problem today, but it might be one day. I understand the need of a user customizable field for input of more ignore words. A simple field under the current "Ignore articles " option, where you could add things like "der, de, les" would be nice.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

lise

• MC Beta Team

Just wondering... are these articles something we can just add to the existing english list? If so, can someone tell me where the list is so that I may add the french "le"?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

vagskal

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 05:51:03 pm »

How about a user option to decide which articles to skip when sorting AND an escape character (/ for instance) for words to respect when sorting (like /The Who if you want them under T instead of W)?

And while you are at it, why not make the a-z bar a true whatever-whatever bar depending on what initial letters there are to sort (like most other programs).
Pages: [1]   Go Up