INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interface lag when using search on large library  (Read 1190 times)

tom-erik

• Recent member
Interface lag when using search on large library
« on: December 31, 2012, 09:05:46 pm »

I'm getting incredible interface lag when using the search (Text) with a large library (700,000 songs) and with a poor laptop over LAN this literally just goes poof (without actually crashing of course). The computer where the library is on does pretty good (brand new computer, 2.5 ghz etc.) however there is noticable lag.

If the option to disable both the suggestions and common searches existed in addition to not actually re-searching the library for every letter typed in then I believe it could be fairly optimized for computers with less raw power.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Interface lag when using search on large library
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 01:15:41 pm »

The performance of the client is most important.  What is the JRMark score (Help > Benchmark)?

With 700,000 files, you need a good machine. 

Using simple views will help as well.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tom-erik

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 05:45:16 pm »

JRMark (version 18.0.103): 413

I doubt this is very good but I'd like a light-weight version of the search functionality because I can't seem to find any good DLNA players with search functionality so the only obvious choice has been to use the fully-featured Media Center.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 05:47:17 pm »

That's near the bottom of benchmarks we get. 

tom-erik

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 05:55:50 pm »

ehehe

Give me an option and I'll stop complaining :L

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 06:18:09 pm »

700,000 is a lot of files.

I think Media Center is going to be the fastest program there is with that many files, but I would still recommend a JRMark of 3000 or better for that usage.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tom-erik

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 11:03:05 am »

The computer the library is currently on full-time seems to be handling it pretty well, its score is 2784~2835.

What's interesting however is that through DLNA my phone with Gizmo seems to be handling everything rather well. All I'm looking for is exactly this, a way of listening to the music on this laptop in a orderly fashion with a search functionality because browsing 700,000 files is not an easy task.

Is there a place I can make a thread about finding such software? I've searched around and JRiver seems to be unique in the way that the search functionality extends beyond DLNA's standard which to the best of my knowledge has no actual implementation of search.
Pages: [1]   Go Up