INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album on single .flac file + cuesheet, problems on MC clients  (Read 3112 times)

psam

• World Citizen
Album on single .flac file + cuesheet, problems on MC clients
« on: December 22, 2012, 02:42:30 am »

Well, I 've posted repeatedly this problem but it still causes trouble in this latest build as well.

Here goes once more:

A music album is on a single .flac file on the PC. supported by a cuesheet .cue file.

I have one issue and one problem.

The issue is that when the directory containing the album is auto imported, the library imports not only the individual tracks but the whole album as a single track as well.

So I am getting the first track , say four minutes long, as defined in the .cue file, then another track of 38 minutes with the name of the album, then the rest of the tracks.

I don't want to turn AutoImport off because this is the only way the library is synced with my music directory. Is there a way to prevent these containing files from being imported, while the tracks are imported normally?

The next problem is very annoying and it has not been fixed even though I have reported it as soon as version 18 came out.

When I play these files on a client (one PC running Win7 and one laptop running Win XP), and I have checked Media Network>Client Options>Audio Conversion>Conversion>Always Convert Audio, the first track plays fine but from then on , Media Center plays each track for a couple seconds and then it skips to the next track, so in less than a minute the Album is over.

When I try to play a track (except Track 1) directly I have the same problem.

Please note that I had no such problem with version 17. So I don't think it a problem on my hardware.
How can I help fixing this?

For me it is a serious problem. The Media Center server is connected to my stereo, but usually I don't use a keyboard on it, I use the remote control.

Library management (playlists, ratings, taging etc.) takes place from my PC connected as a client. This PC is in a different place of the house and the available bandwidth is not always enough to play 24/192 flac files. So I need the Audio conversion to 320kb/s MP3.

I 've just replaced my client - PC with a new one, with a faster CPU. New hard disk, new OS (Windows 8), new MC installation, new everything actually!!!! JR bench reports 4878

The problem persists.

Thank you,

Panagiotis

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: psam: Album on single .flac file + cuesheet, problems on MC clients
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:53:21 am »

I agree about the import issue.  You could manually check only 'CUE' on the import list instead of both 'FLAC' and 'CUE'.

It'd be better to solve this automatically, but I'm not sure how.

If we _knew_ that the CUE would use the same name as the single file, we could check for the existence of a CUE file.  However, I do not believe this will always be the case.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrG

• Recent member
Re: Re: psam: Album on single .flac file + cuesheet, problems on MC clients
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:02:50 am »

Analyse all cue files first (sort by name). Process audio files defined in cue files. Ignore errors where audio file from cue file does not exist. After processing all cue files continue to process remaining audio files not yet touched in this folder.
Is there any "skip.me" file featute to skip whole directory? I have SACD rips with both CD and SACD layers in separate subfolders. I need to skip CD folder but want it on HDD for collector's sake.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:18:21 am »

When I play these files on a client (one PC running Win7 and one laptop running Win XP), and I have checked Media Network>Client Options>Audio Conversion>Conversion>Always Convert Audio, the first track plays fine but from then on , Media Center plays each track for a couple seconds and then it skips to the next track, so in less than a minute the Album is over.

This should be fixed next build:
Fixed: Playback of CUE files over Library Server client when conversion was enabled did not work nicely.

Sorry for the trouble.

psam

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 03:17:47 pm »

I agree about the import issue.  You could manually check only 'CUE' on the import list instead of both 'FLAC' and 'CUE'.

It'd be better to solve this automatically, but I'm not sure how.

If we _knew_ that the CUE would use the same name as the single file, we could check for the existence of a CUE file.  However, I do not believe this will always be the case.

Well , as my wife frequently says, I tend to find the most noob way to fix things....

I edited the view setup, adding Duration< 33:00 . So far so good, I only need to exempt a few dozen '70s -'80s  mixes of mine , transferred from reel tapes, and I'll be fine I guess....

psam

• World Citizen
Re: Re: psam: Album on single .flac file + cuesheet, problems on MC clients
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 03:21:16 pm »

Analyse all cue files first (sort by name). Process audio files defined in cue files. Ignore errors where audio file from cue file does not exist. After processing all cue files continue to process remaining audio files not yet touched in this folder.
Is there any "skip.me" file featute to skip whole directory? I have SACD rips with both CD and SACD layers in separate subfolders. I need to skip CD folder but want it on HDD for collector's sake.
I didn't get your suggestion for the cue files, maybe them last two nite-cups (GMT +2:00 local time) are the reason.. ;)
Regarding SACDs, try editing the view , adding rule "Channels - less or equal than 2".
Works for me!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 03:22:43 pm »

I meant you could edit the Auto-Import rule to only look at CUE, not FLAC, APE, etc.

But the view filter could work too.  Or picking the big file and just removing it from the library.

psam

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 04:14:37 pm »

I meant you could edit the Auto-Import rule to only look at CUE, not FLAC, APE, etc.

But the view filter could work too.  Or picking the big file and just removing it from the library.
Well, not all albums are in this format... So having the rule bring in the CUE files only wouldn't cut it...

Removing individual big files would be a perfect solution, if I didn't use the Auto Import function!! But this Auto Import does all the job, so I'll just use the Duration rule for now, until I think of something else, or develop a batch process to convert all CUE supported audio files to individual flac/ape/whatever tracks....

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 04:55:28 pm »

Removing individual big files would be a perfect solution, if I didn't use the Auto Import function!! But this Auto Import does all the job, so I'll just use the Duration rule for now, until I think of something else, or develop a batch process to convert all CUE supported audio files to individual flac/ape/whatever tracks....

You can tell auto import not to reimport files that have been manually removed.

I think it's even on by default.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:06:07 pm »

I thought you actually fixed this a while ago Matt.  I seem to remember it being 'fixed' a few months ago.  I'm too lazy to check the old changelogs since Alex isn't around any longer, it's not so easy anymore.

Where is Alex anyway?

Okay, I decided to not be lazy.  Isn't this the fix?...

18.0.42 (9/12/2012)
10. NEW: When importing CUE files from a folder, the underlying audio files will not be imported.

I'm not home to test this, but it sounds like it might not be working (again?)
pretend this is something funny

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 06:38:13 pm »

I thought you actually fixed this a while ago Matt.  I seem to remember it being 'fixed' a few months ago.  I'm too lazy to check the old changelogs since Alex isn't around any longer, it's not so easy anymore.

Where is Alex anyway?

18.0.42 (9/12/2012)
10. NEW: When importing CUE files from a folder, the underlying audio files will not be imported.

That's embarrassing.

I guess it's good somebody remembers!

psam

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 03:43:46 am »

18.0.42 (9/12/2012)

I'm not home to test this, but it sounds like it might not be working (again?)

You're absolutely right! I remembered that this had been fixed sometime last fall, but then I could not confirm it so I thought I didn't remember right!!!

So, is there a chance this fix is applied again?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 07:51:06 am »

Yep, I can confirm this isn't working again.  If I delete the underlying .flac file, it gets reimported.

psam

• World Citizen
Re: Album on single .flac file + cuesheet, problems on MC clients
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 11:10:34 am »

OK, so here goes another issue.
I have some albums in this format (single .flac supported by CUE file) which are imported garbled in MC18 library. They play fine on Foobar.
I have narrowed my search to a specific CUE format and this is an example:

TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Fifties Child"
    PERFORMER "Barclay James Harvest"
    ISRC GBF068300010
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Looking For The Outside"
    ISRC GBF068300020
    INDEX 01 04:18:66
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Teenage Heart"
    ISRC GBF068300030
    INDEX 01 09:36:43

Is it maybe that this ISRC thing is not standard for such files?
Is it maybe that the file does not comply to the

Index 0
Index 1

style of other CUE files?

I dunno...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 12:56:34 pm »

Yep, I can confirm this isn't working again.  If I delete the underlying .flac file, it gets reimported.

I can't reproduce a problem.

Make a new FLAC or APE + CUE in a folder.

Import the entire folder.

Only the tracks come in, not the big FLAC or APE file.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 02:11:14 pm »

I'm importing ONLY the cue file, via windows explorer, r-click, Media Center, Import.

It imports the tracks as you would expect, but eventually the full flac file shows up in MC also.  If I delete it (from library only), it eventually comes back.  here is a shot of some of them to confirm.

I will try deleting them, then deleting them from the bad and removed databases, and confirm they come back, but I believe I've already tried this.  i'll do it to confirm it's still happening.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 02:30:15 pm »

You'll have to use the regular Import system, which looks at full folders, if you use CUE files.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 02:41:25 pm »

Hmmm...  MC doesn't actually import the full flac file immediately when I do it this way, it's only imported later.  The cue and flac are in the same folder, so the auto import shouldn't be importing it, from what I understand.

Also, once it's been imported, and I delete it (the full flac file), why does it keep coming back?

Do i just need to deleted the full flac, and all the individual tracks from MC, then just let the auto import do it's magic to get this 'corrected'?

**I deleted them from the bad and removed databases, and so far (after about an hour) they have not come back, so maybe this is already resolved.

Thanks again for taking a look into this.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 03:51:49 pm »

Nope, not 'fixed'.  The files have been imported again.  I had deleted them from the library, and the removed and bad databases, but a few hours later, they are back in the library.

Please let me know if you found the 'bug' or if there is something else I can do/try to fix this.

thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up