INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: volume level when exporting digital stream from computer to outborad DAC  (Read 3895 times)

whataboutbob1

• World Citizen

What is the is the best volume level when exporting digital stream from computer to outborad DAC? I am using waspi out to a wadia 121 decoding computer (DAC)and then I go from the DAC to my home audio pre-amp (which requires a pretty strong input signal to drive my amps to the volume I like). So what is the clearest most accurate digital signal while maintaining the highest output voltage to the DAC?

I did play around with the dsp section of media center and found by increasing the "pre-amp" volume contol from the eauilizer section it also drove the media center past 100% into clipping mode.  SO am I correct in guessing that the pre-amp volume in that section should be left at 0.0; and then the regular volume contol of media center set to maximum?  Or does the maximum volume there also distort?  On my wadia DAC it suggests puting its output to full when driving a pre-amp(as opposed to using the DAC as a volume control as it does have digital level volume control if no pre-amp is used), and then using the pre-amps volume control to drive the amps. So I wonder if that would be the same for media center, meaning: keep the volume at full from the media center to the DAC, and then full on the DAC to pre-amp?

Bob

whataboutbob1

• World Citizen
Re: volume level when exporting digital stream from computer to outborad DAC
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 07:01:59 pm »

With no replies I am guessing no one knows?

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:31:17 am »

What eq pre-amp are you talking about in MC..........the level settings in the Room Correction block?

Since you're not doing volume control in the PC leave MC at 100%. There's no need to attenuate unless you are using + gain eq. In that case I would attenuate a bit or use clip protection. Using your PC as the source is no different than using a CD player to your DAC.

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 03:04:15 pm »

The main principle should be to have only one volume control in your signal chain.  As long as your only volume control is in the pre-amp, you should keep your digital signal at original level throughout your digital chain, including your DAC. You must take care not adding to your digital signal level by e.g. applying a DSP. If you add x dB at some frequency (or the entire signal), you will get clipping for all signals louder than -x dB. If you still want to alter your digital signal in some way that increases its level, you will need to lower it accordingly in MC so that you never send signals >0dB to your DAC.

whataboutbob1

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 08:13:23 pm »

Thanks for the input!

I do have one question about the idea of one pre-amp and the keeping the signal at it's original level. I am not sure what the original level means. I am guessing it menas make sure the dsp eq is off ..... but wher do I set the media center volume. In the previous post it mentioned keeping the media center at full volume.  My DAC suggests full volume from the DAC to pre-amp. But the DAC is naturally at full volume.... meaning if it has lower volume the digigital volumke contol in the DAC is used to lessen the signal from 100%.  Is Media Center the same<  Full volume is actuially no processing and lesser levels are actually the processed ones?

Bob

whataboutbob1

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 08:14:34 pm »

Oh, Nate... I was refering to the dsp section in audio options.

Bob

Trumpetguy

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 03:08:29 am »

Thanks for the input!

I do have one question about the idea of one pre-amp and the keeping the signal at it's original level. I am not sure what the original level means. I am guessing it menas make sure the dsp eq is off ..... but wher do I set the media center volume. In the previous post it mentioned keeping the media center at full volume.  My DAC suggests full volume from the DAC to pre-amp. But the DAC is naturally at full volume.... meaning if it has lower volume the digigital volumke contol in the DAC is used to lessen the signal from 100%.  Is Media Center the same<  Full volume is actuially no processing and lesser levels are actually the processed ones?

Bob

Just use "disabled volume" in MC, and choose WASAPI event style or ASIO. At least when using ASIO you will bypass any Windows fiddling with the signal and you are 100% sure you'll get the unaltered signal into your DAC. If you use any DSP in MC you will need to be more careful, but the "Clip protection" works just fine. For most DACs, you do not need to worry about signal strength DAC-> preamp. If you use coax cable between dac and preamp, make sure it has the right impedance, i.e. make sure it actually is a digital coax signal cable.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 04:19:09 am »

If you use coax cable between dac and preamp, make sure it has the right impedance, i.e. make sure it actually is a digital coax signal cable.
Wouldn't be surprised if the output of the DAC in to the pre-amp is analog :)

Trumpetguy

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 08:01:55 am »

Wouldn't be surprised if the output of the DAC in to the pre-amp is analog :)

Good catch, didn't think  :o

whataboutbob1

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 08:21:51 pm »

THANKS!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up