INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [SOLVED!!] DVD playback from video_ts --> audio drops  (Read 5039 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
[SOLVED!!] DVD playback from video_ts --> audio drops
« on: January 05, 2013, 05:10:39 am »

Changed the title, the framedrops are solved/explained but playback from video_ts has some audio drops which I can't explain.

Hey guys,

Since the switch was made to play dvd content using LAV/Madvr I can't play dvd rips anymore. I've done some preliminary tests and it looks like my GPU just doesn't keep up :(. I tried different settings in Madvr but I basically need to drop the quality to a point there's no use in using Madvr over RO standard.

But the thing is that the dvd rips I had in mkv's used to play fine in the past using Madvr on Jinc 3 taps with anti-ringing enabled, so I don't get why regular dvd rips to video_ts folders shouldn't play. What is the difference?

I am now making a new rip and will create a mkv from the same content and test with that.

If I can't solve this is there a way to play dvd content (ie, SD material) on RO standard and keep HD content on ROHQ with my preferred Madvr settings?

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: DVD playback ROHQ massive framedrops
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 05:12:52 am »

You can use a custom mode and just switch the renderer to EVR for DVDs.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 05:19:40 am »

What is your GPU?
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 05:52:28 am »

Thanks Nev, I'll look into that. Just finished creating the mkv so will test with that first.

Jmone: GT 430 passive.

The MKV plays perfect. Madvr settings is lanczos 3t for everything. No framedrops with an average GPU load of less than 40%.

The video_ts folder is played with an average GPU load of 65% (sometimes peaking over 75%), sound stutters sometimes and in a few minutes playing over 1600 framedrops.

The video_ts is mpeg-2 interlaced, the mkv is created from the same source in h.264 'decombed'.

I'll see if I can make a mkv with video passthrough, I thought that was possible too but I couldn't find the option in Handbrake.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 06:04:08 am »

Its certainly possible that the problem is being caused by the dvd being interlaced and your h.264 is progressive because you deinterlaced it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 06:06:48 am »

I just tested an mkv with mpeg-2 interlaced stream. It plays the same as the other mkv with the h264 stream: perfect, no framedrops and an average gpu load of less than 40%.

I'm pretty sure something is not right with video_ts playback.

Edit: To clarify, this mkv is another one I just made from the same source as the other tests.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 06:40:30 am »

Some more discoveries.

The mkv with interlaced source is not getting deinterlaced. From the madvr stats it says disabled but I don't know why.

The video_ts source is getting deinterlaced by Madvr and when I disable the deinterlacer, it stops dropping frames, GPU load drops to ~30%.

So thats it, the deinterlacer. However, with the video_ts I keep getting audio drops. I thought it was because it couldn't keep up, dropping frames etc. But now that video is smooth after disabling the deinterlacer, audio keeps dropping.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 07:01:49 am »

I don't get it. I create an mkv with the vobs from the dvd (simply mux them with mkvmerge). Interlaced mpeg-2 for sure. Madvr's interlacer won't enable. I have the other mkv with mpeg-2 interlaced videostream which won't trigger the deinterlacer, it only seems to enable the deinterlacer with video_ts playback.

with the video_ts I keep getting audio drops. I thought it was because it couldn't keep up, dropping frames etc. But now that video is smooth after disabling the deinterlacer, audio keeps dropping.

The mkv created from the vobs does not suffer from audio drops.

Jong

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 09:07:34 am »

Hi IM, the GT430 is a bit borderline for interlaced material: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1440176/best-futureproof-nvidia-gpu-for-madvr. In fact, it has always been worth avoiding the entry level models if interlaced performance is important. Maybe not true with the very latest gen, but we have thought that before only to be proved wrong, especially with MadVRs constantly improving and more intensive algorithms.

And MadVR frame doubles when deinterlacing - it will turn a DVD into 60/50fps content rather than 30/25fps, making things that much harder for the GPU - literally half the time available to deinterlace and render a frame. Only 16.66ms @60hz. Have a look at the deinterlacing and render times for your various settings along with the movie frame interval. If you only view film-based DVDs (originally 24fps) you may find it OK to turn off MadVR deinterlacing - probably the same result as you are currently seeing when playing back your mkvs.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 09:29:14 am »

Thanks Jong.

I know its borderline and its fine, I can live with that. What threw me off initially is that I asumed madvr would deinterlace interlaced mkv's; it doesn't, even with the setting 'when in doubt, enable'. It's simply never deinterlacing an mkv (with an interlaced video stream). I didn't expect this, I thought it was deinterlacing the mkv's too so I thought the bad performance was due to playing from a video_ts folder.

So that's out of the way but there is still an issue with video_ts playback: Audio drops every so often. Sometimes once every few minutes, but still quite frequent and I can see no reason for that. Playback is smooth, no framedrops, deinterlacer is disabled, no cpu load. Playing the exact same material muxed to an mkv plays back fine.

Jong

Re: DVD playback from video_ts --> audio drops
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 10:19:59 am »

Are you decoding the audio on the PC or passing bitstreamed DTS/DD audio to your amp?

If the latter, I'd try the former. It sounds like a mismatch between your movie frame rate and your refresh rate, which Videoclock cannot fix if you are bitstreaming audio.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 10:26:20 am »

I'm decoding everything on the pc and have videoclock enabled.

Maybe the reason is obvious from the madvr stats but from most of them I have no idea what they really mean or imply.

i'll grab a screenshot later on.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 10:35:02 am »

I asumed madvr would deinterlace interlaced mkv's; it doesn't, even with the setting 'when in doubt, enable'. It's simply never deinterlacing an mkv (with an interlaced video stream).

It does deinterlace MKVs, however it doesn't deinterlace if the MKV already claims a FPS of 50/60, instead of the more approriate 25/30, like many oddly encoded MKVs do (the madVR stats would tell you this)
I believe there was some fix for such problems in madVR 0.85.3, but it may not work for all files.

Future LAV Splitter versions will also correct the FPS in case the container reports this odd value.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 11:37:26 am »

Here's screenshot from the stats, no framedrops, no deinterlacing but still giving audio dropouts. It seems to be getting less over time but that may be coincidence I don't know.

I didn't specify fps creating the mkv, I typically only do so when I'm adding a videostream that mkvmerge can't detect (it will popup a warning). I'm creating a new mkv with specifically specifiying the fps, 50i and test with that.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 11:48:01 am »

What movie are you testing with? I'm in the USA but if I have the same movie I would be interetsed in comparing the madVR stats. I have the nVidia 430 and 450.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 12:05:23 pm »

Its the Peter Gabriel Secret World Live, DVD, EU/PAL.

It does deinterlace MKVs, however it doesn't deinterlace if the MKV already claims a FPS of 50/60, instead of the more approriate 25/30, like many oddly encoded MKVs do (the madVR stats would tell you this)
I believe there was some fix for such problems in madVR 0.85.3, but it may not work for all files.

Future LAV Splitter versions will also correct the FPS in case the container reports this odd value.

I created a new mkv from the vobs and specified the fps as 50i. The madvr stats show it as 25fps. Its deinterlacing it and I'm getting framedrops as well, same as with the video_ts folder. I don't see a difference in the stats compared to the other mkv in which I didn't specify the fps on creation, its also displaying 25fps but it not interlacing it. But I'm happy as it is, I'm probably doing something wrong here so don't break a sweat over it ;).

There's still the audio drops from playing video_ts. I'll try another dvd as well.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 12:20:27 pm »

Other dvd's do the same. I guess playing a real dvd or video_ts folder is the same as I'm playing a regular dvd now.

What I noticed earlier is probably correct: dropouts get less over time.

The clock deviation starts all over the place, from 36% to -28% and after 30 seconds or so its starts to settle, slowly crawling back from -14% closer to zero at which point the dropouts are getting less.

After a few minutes playing, its pretty stable but still every once in a few minutes it gives a little stutter.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 12:36:09 pm »

After a few minutes playing, its pretty stable but still every once in a few minutes it gives a little stutter.

Correction. It appeared stable because I wasn't actually really listening carefully, only paying attention to the big drops. But its actually continuously stuttering, just not as obvious. And audio seems to be seconds out of sync. I sat down to watch something and decided its totally unusable.

I tried different dvd's and nothing is really watchable.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: [SOLVED!!] DVD playback from video_ts --> audio drops
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 01:12:52 pm »

YES! It's solved  ;D

Everything is solved. Deinterlacing works, no stutters on dvd, video_ts plays. It all plays! darn I'm happy! (forget the deinterlacing of mkv's).

This should teach me not to fiddle with silly settings I know nothing about  :P Wasted an entire day on this nonsense  :-\

I had ASIO output set to 32-bit floating point. Don't ask me why though, no reason I guess. Because it was there, it looked at me and said, select me. So I did and forgot about it  :-[.

Selected 24-bit and all is fine. No more clock deviations, no audio sync issues. PFEW!!

Sorry for all the hassle guys.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: [SOLVED!!] DVD playback from video_ts --> audio drops
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 04:17:32 am »

Actually, ASIO in general gives me these issues. Wasapi event style in 32-bit is not a problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up