INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movies and existing backdrops / meta data  (Read 1902 times)

aquatarkus

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Movies and existing backdrops / meta data
« on: January 06, 2013, 03:59:45 am »

Hi all
have looked thought the wiki and threads here but can't find the correct answers, so here goes.

I was using win7 with MCE and MediaBrowser + MediaCenter Master for fetching movie metadata and hi res back drops, have just changed pc to Win8 pro + mce and as I used to use JRiver for audio when it was versions 12 to 14 so seeing as vast improvements have been made with theatre view and movies / videos in JRiver I thought I'd come back.

The main questions I have are
1. I have my movies in folders that are sorted by file type for example
F:\Movie Drive\Avi Movies.
F:\Movie Drive\MKV Movies.
F:\Movie Drive\DVD Movies
F:\Movie Drive\ISO Movies

inside those folders are then individual folders with the movie file inside, will that be ok with JRiver MC18, or should I change the file / folders and have them sorted by film genre?
2nd question
inside each individual movie folder is the metadata file and up to 30 hires movie backdrops there are also .srt files in most for subtitles.
Will JRiver use the data in the movie folders and also be able to use the hires movie backdrops or will it over right or ignore this metadata and backdrops?

Hope this makes sense to you.
Regards
Aquatarkus

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Movies and existing backdrops / meta data
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 03:01:16 pm »

Hi there.

Media Center doesn't care about the file or folder locations, so you're find with your current locations.  Just point MC's auto-import to F:\Movie and all your movies should be imported.

Regarding the movie backdrops and subtitle files, you can have MC import these, as image files and data files respectively.  There is no auto-slideshow or backdrop feature, but you can configure a slideshow of images.  I can't respond regarding the subtitle files as I don't use them.  I'm sure you'll get better responses on these two by others more familiar with these areas.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 03:48:19 pm »

RE: subtitles in the folders with the movies.  As long as the subtitle file name matches the movie name exactly, except for the extension, it should work fine.  I have subtitles in 2 languages for some of my movies, so I name them like so...

American Pie.mkv
American Pie.eng.srt
American Pie.spa.srt

It handles this just fine, and gives you both options under subtitles while watching the movie.

RE: folder structure.  As MrC said, it makes no difference to MC, so you'll be fine leaving them the way you have them.  Personally, I don't see the need to have them separated by file type (or genre or anything else), so I just have all mine under video/movie/American Pie with all the related files in each movie folder.

The beauty of MC is that we can each do it they way we want, and MC takes it all in stride.
pretend this is something funny

aquatarkus

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 02:08:52 pm »

Thanks very much for your replies, very helpful starting to get to grips with JRiver again.

JRiver has imported all my movies didn't have to worry about the file structure as per the answers above, and have all the backdrops / images etc.  appears to be working very well, very smooth operation, think Win8 helps there.

I will be using JRiver virtually all the time in Theatre View mode and have a couple of questions again I'm afraid.

In Theatre View I can click on Videos then the sub menu Movies and it shows all my movies and can change the views to what I like.

as stated in my post above I have my movies that are sorted by file type but I have one folder that is on the same drive that I have called F:\Concerts this folder I have structured as follows

F:\Concerts\Kraftwerk\Minimum Maximum\AVI, MKV, DVD or ISO file (named as the concert using info from IMDB. there are also the backdrops / folder art that was obtained using Media Centre Master)
                 \David Gilmore\Remember That Night\video file
                 \Pink Floyd\Pulse\ video file
about 30 videos at the moment.

I would like these to be shown under a different sub menu under videos called Concerts and only have these 30 video files shown in this folder/ menu (will be adding more as time goes by)

I have tried to follow the options in the Theatre View options dialog boxes and have managed to remove a couple of the sub folders so they don't show up on the Theatre View screen but try as I might I can't seem to get a sub folder called Concerts to appear or show these files, can any one please point me in the right direction, have looked on the Wiki but got more confused.

I also have a Windows Home Server 2011 where all my albums are stored on 2 x 2TB drives all saved as FLAC files, all correctly tagged using Tag & Rename and MP3tag.
At the moment I have just pointed JRiver at the 2 drives and it has imported all my music. I was wondering if it would be advantageous if I installed another copy of JRiver on the server to act as a Library Server?

Thank you for taking the time to read and very grateful for any help or advice.

Many thanks
Regards
Aquatarkus

MrC

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 02:20:29 pm »

I would like these to be shown under a different sub menu under videos called Concerts and only have these 30 video files shown in this folder/ menu (will be adding more as time goes by)

Go to Tools > Options > Theater View and under Items to Show, select Video > Movies.  Click Add Library Item and then click the Unnest button.  Name the new item Concerts.  Click Set rules for file display... and under Rules, configure a rule: Filename (path) starts with F:\Concerts.  This filtered view will now only show your files that are under this folder.

You can add the opposite rule for other views: Filename (path) does not start with F:\Concerts.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 02:23:07 pm »

I also have a Windows Home Server 2011 where all my albums are stored on 2 x 2TB drives all saved as FLAC files, all correctly tagged using Tag & Rename and MP3tag.
At the moment I have just pointed JRiver at the 2 drives and it has imported all my music. I was wondering if it would be advantageous if I installed another copy of JRiver on the server to act as a Library Server?

You could do that, or point your current MC at the UNC path and have it import those files, making the current MC the master.  If you make most of your changes on your desktop, use that as the master.
Pages: [1]   Go Up