INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Media Center to index removable storage  (Read 1063 times)

sbdallas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My only friend is a goat.
Using Media Center to index removable storage
« on: January 06, 2013, 10:08:12 am »

Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place or perhaps what I want is just not there...

Is there support in MC for indexing, listing removable storage?  Like for example, I have some DVDs which contain a bunch of video files.  I'd like to see the files listed in MC when the DVD is not in...

TIA,
Scott
Scott

I finally stopped drinking for good.
Now I drink for Evil.

CraigNZ

• World Citizen
Re: Using Media Center to index removable storage
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 02:19:21 pm »

Related to this, I would like the ability to catalog in MC18 my removable DVD/Bluray disc collection.  At the moment I create a phantom entry for the disc and put the word [Disc] in the movie title so when I scroll through my list of movies I can tell if I need to go to the storage cabinet and load the disc.  Would be more convenient to have a tag setup for removable titles and an easy way to enter them rather than creating a phantom disk file.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Using Media Center to index removable storage
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 02:39:52 pm »

When CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs are inserted, MC adds these discs to one of its databases, called the CD database.  All you need to do is create a view or playlist that includes rules to see these items.

The easiest way to start is by creating a new Standard View, perhaps using Panes.  When you customize the view, under Set rules for file display, add a Modifier to select from only the CD database.  Then the view will show you all the entries cataloged for your physical media.  Be sure to de-select the Use parent setting under the view customization so that this view does not inherit its parent view's settings (this allows you to locate the view anywhere in the tree, but see whatever file types you want).

You can add columns that help you select and view the content.  File Type, Filename, and Volume are good ones to start with.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up