INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound card for vinyl ripping?  (Read 1400 times)

gvag

Sound card for vinyl ripping?
« on: April 11, 2002, 04:55:58 pm »

I know perceived sound quality is very subjective but I was not happy with the quality of albums I'd ripped using my SB Live 5.1 OEM so I did some web sleuthing and it confirmed what my ears had already told me.  Question now is what non-Creative Labs card do I get to replace the SB?

There's nowhere I can go to audition the cards I'm interested in so here my list of candidates (in no particular order), any input would be appreciated:
1.  Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

2.  Echo Mia

3.  Audiophile 2496

4.  Yamaha Cavit DP-U50

I suspect the Echo and Audiophile cards are a bit of overkill for my needs but then again I'm concerned about the quality of the AD/DA converters in the Santa Cruz and Cavit.

Thanks

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Sound card for vinyl ripping?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2002, 05:03:10 pm »

since riping does not go thru the sound board it should not have anything to do with riping, only the play back

and i do have a SB live value, and it works fine In analog and digital using Windows XP and a 5.1 Sound system it is hooked to.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Trelane

• World Citizen
  • Destroy him, my robots.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2002, 05:27:36 pm »

From my experience with the Santa Cruz, it is an excellent card for its price tag.

Mike

gvag

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2002, 05:40:27 pm »

Just to clarify.  I am recording my vinyl LPs from the TAPE-OUT on my receiver to the LINE-IN on my SB Live card.  I guess I shouldn't have used "ripping" in this context.

Thanks

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2002, 05:45:23 pm »

gvag

got you, missed that part.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sekim

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2002, 05:51:42 pm »

gvag

How much overkill can you stand?

Michael Horton

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2002, 05:54:13 pm »

the santa cruz and the acoustic edge (phillips) are both very good cards imho (zevele10) but neither has an interact board

it appears that you read about the sb cards so i won't waste time ragging on them

some of the top end cards are a technophobe's nightmare (don't know whether that applies to you)

gvag

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2002, 06:20:41 pm »

MachineHead -
With CDN exchange rate that card would darn near double my system cost (monitor excluded)

MHorton -
So what's an interact board?  As for Technophobia, if I had it I wouldn't have a computer.

Thanks

Listening to: 'Song For My Father' from 'Best Blue Note Album' by 'Horace Silver' on Media Jukebox

Shawn Rebelo

• World Citizen
  • Web, Multimedia Developer, Graphic Designer, ProgrammerFood, Music, Art
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2002, 08:53:46 pm »

At home I am using Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer. Im a big gamer Next Page . I know not the best for vinyl ripping but I have a few hundered albums and am partially through them (stopped because of getting ready to move). I have my turntable hooked up to a mixing board, then the mixing board connected to my sound card. But I use a program called "RipVinyl". A $7 dollar program and works very well. I also use CoolEdit Pro to take out any pops or clicks from older records. I use both so one is recording while I am modifing the previously record atracks. Plus RipVinyl has settigs for starting new tracks for certain amount of silence and you can set the silence noise level, usefull for Ambient albums. I have had no problems with the sound quality of my record recordings. Of course unless the levels of the album were record high or low. Then I just fix it with RipVinyls sound control and my mixing board.
Shawn Rebelo
JRiver, Inc
Sr. Web Master

Jazzwolf

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2002, 05:05:49 am »

Hi,
I have a Soundblaster Live card and I have a large collection of vinyl which unfortunately will probably never be on CD. The Buckingham/Nicks album, Gene Vincent, Tuff Darts etc. I want to be able to transfer them to CD. How do I hook up a turntable to my computer and what programs do I need? Any help will REALLY be appreciated

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2002, 07:50:17 am »

One place to start is the "Line-in recording tips" link on the Help menu on this web page. There is also information in MJ's help file. Do a search of "vinyl" on this forum and you'll probably find a lot more information and helpful links.
Here's one link with some info:
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~abcomp/lp-cdr.htm
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Jazzwolf

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2002, 07:25:40 pm »

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a lot of hard work but I'll have to give it a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up