INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Signal path from JRiver via USB to a Peachtree Dacit  (Read 2737 times)

sjoc2000

• Recent member
Signal path from JRiver via USB to a Peachtree Dacit
« on: January 08, 2013, 12:16:26 pm »

Hello everyone.  My first post here.

I have been trying to figure out from JRiver via USB to a Peachtree Dacit what is happening to the signal precisely and the places and stages of processes it goes through as it moves through the computer and finally to the Dacit.

Possibly someone can direct me to a tutorial, I have looked in vain on the net, or give me a basic description that I can use to figure it out.

Examples;

1.)  What is the output of JRiver, a bit or byte stream, embedded with wasapi driver information, or what?

2.) Where does it go from JRiver?

3. )Where is the data clocked by the computer?

4.) Is the USB output to the Dacit in PCM or is it just a raw data stream?

Hope someone has the time and inclination to give me a hand here.  Am using JR 17

Thanks,

Jim

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Signal path from JRiver via USB to a Peachtree Dacit
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 12:25:05 pm »

Welcome.

You can see everything JRiver is doing using Audio Path:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Path

What happens once we deliver the data to the driver is really up to the DAC.  For that, you might talk to the DAC manufacturer.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sjoc2000

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 01:00:51 pm »

Thankyou Matt for your response.  I am trying to understand this in more detail.  If I may ask;

The audio path says 44.1K/24 bit/2 ch. Wasapi-event style (direct connection).  Is the data output in serial bits, packets, bytes?  What does it mean, " we deliver the data to the driver"?  Then, what does "direct connection" mean?   Does it go from JRiver  straight to the hub controller, or where?  My default device is S/PDIF Interface / Peachtree USB Dac.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 01:25:57 pm »

I'm afraid you may be asking for details we don't have time to provide.  Each driver has a specific way it needs to be addressed, and there are some nuances.

sjoc2000

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 08:22:35 am »

Well, JimH, I have been to this point a zero cost customer since purchasing JRiver.  I have never asked a question, nor taken up anyone's time there.  I would have thought that my questions are the reason such a forum as this exists

I am simply asking in what form is the data when it is output from JRiver and where it goes from JRiver.  I have been told by Matt that it is turned over to the "driver".  I'm just asking what that means.

Please read my initial post.  I at least hope if you will not answer my questions, that you can direct me to a place where I can figure it out on my own.

Possibly another forum member can help me get started.

Sincerely,

Jim

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 08:33:47 am »

If you want to learn about how DACs work, you might look at ComputerAudiophile.com or Google search.

It's not something JRiver documents, but there's a lot of information out there.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sjoc2000

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 09:12:07 am »

I am not trying to be difficult, I am simply coming to the forum from which I purchased a product, and asking a few simple questions.  Please take the time to read what I am writing.

No Matt, if you read my posts, I'm trying to figure out what JRiver does.  Precisely, I'm trying to get a handle on what is the form of JR output when s/pdif/usb is selected as output device; bits, bytes, packets? 

Then you said it is sent to "the driver".  I am simply trying to understand what you mean by that, and how that works.

If you don't have this information at this time, that is fine, just direct me to where I can find out, or possibly another forum member can help me answer these questions.

Thankyou,

Jim

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:27:19 am »

Most of what I think you want to know is public information.  Here, for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WASAPI#Audio_stack_architecture

Some of what you might want to know is either proprietary or might take a long time to explain, would probably be a little too technical for a typical user, and would generate new questions.

Hydrogenaudio.org might be a good place to start a lively discussion on this subject.

sjoc2000

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 09:35:29 am »

Thankyou JimH for the direction.  I'll try those and see if I can make some progress.  Have a good day...

Jim

sjoc2000

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 10:49:34 pm »

Vince;

Thanks very much for the references for reading.  I'm slowly getting it figured out with some great help.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up