INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A good receiver for these speakers  (Read 2089 times)

locust

• Citizen of the Universe
A good receiver for these speakers
« on: January 09, 2013, 06:16:48 am »

I'm not too technically clued up of the audio side of things and I am looking for some advice.

I have a pair  of old sony ss-lb55av that I have had for well over a decade probably a lot longer (Manual here http://www.nodevice.com/manual/sonymans/manual5846pdf/get7357.html) they used to be connected to a Sony LBT-N455K but I lost that ages ago... Right now I use a Philips FW545C (Manual here http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/f/fw545c_22/fw545c_22_pss_eng.pdf) to power them..

I want to eventually get a receiver and 5.1 or 7.1 speakers but I wish to keep these speakers as well (If they are any good??)

Are there any receivers out there that can power 5.1 or 7.1 speakers as well as having a 2.0 channel that J River can see to I can setup two zones with a 7.1 (Or 5.1) zone and a 2.0 zone? I don't need two receivers for this right?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: A good receiver for these speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 06:46:32 am »

Consider using Zone Switch.  See the wiki on Zones for more information.

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 06:57:21 am »

I have very little experience with receivers, and bad technical insight, but I did come over this one the other day:
Onkyo TX-NR616. That one, and the bigger brother 717 has some extra zones. By reducing the channels to 5.1, you're able to use two of the other channels as two completely separate systems. I think the 717 receiver might be able to run two extra zones. I'm not sure if 7.1 surround is available with the extra zones. It might be.

Anyway. The point is that it's quite possible, yes. This could be used together with MC's zone switching ability. For example to automatically output all music to the main speakers on the zone 2, and all movies and videos on the main zone with surround.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 06:39:31 am »

There are many receivers that are multi-zone capable my old one Yamaha RX-V665 7.2 plus Zone 2 and new one Yamaha RX-A3010 which is 9.2 plus up to 3 other zones.
What is you budget that will help narrow down the options.
Other than multi-zone are there any other options you need/want? (multi-hdmi out, dlna, 3d pass through, etc.)
I listed those as they were requirements for my new receiver.
Sean

locust

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 09:36:07 am »

Whoops sorry for not getting back sooner been a little busy..
cheap as possible for the moment..

Would it be an idea to get an extra sound card and a separate surround system to the one I use for audio rather than going down the expensive route? Would it just end up being a hindrance?

I suppose my biggest concern it that thing I use to run those speakers adequate? I don't know much about this stuff and I'm a little worried the hi-fi I am using isn't powerfull enough or a little too powerful for those speaker. One thing on those speakers is that the subs have separate inputs for speaker wire. And the hi-fi I'm using to run only has two outputs.. Is it ok just to twist the speaker wire for all the cables coming from the speaker and shove it into one output on the hi-fi??

I've had these speakers for ages and can't actually remember what happen to the system that went along with them.
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up