INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Receiver with WIFI/LAN control capabilities  (Read 4677 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Receiver with WIFI/LAN control capabilities
« on: January 09, 2013, 06:50:50 am »

I've been looking for a new receiver to fill my needs, but I have some problem finding the perfect one of course.
This one looked very interesting: Onkyo TX-NR616B. Got a 30% discount on it this week.

It looks like it have the most important features for me:
- Good sound (in this price range)
- Support for extra Zone
- DLNA ready. I can stream to this device without turning on my HTPC
- Spotify integrated. This is missing in MC, so it's nice to have it ready directly on the receiver
- Android and iOS application for DLNA and streaming control
- LAN connection (optional WIFI dongle)
- IR control features. You can attach emitters and blasters to control other equipment

The last point there made me think.....
The receiver are the ONLY component in my setup that I want to have on at ALL times when I'm using my A/V equipment. What if I was able to use this as a base for controlling the other equipment. In 2013 I believe it's about time to go away from IR and start using Wifi to control things instead. I've used RF until now, but the RF to IR converting takes time on my logitech 900, and I'm sick of the extra latency.

What if I managed to program a remote like the URC's TRC-1280 with Wifi, to send signals to my reciever (over wifi and the LAN), and the receiver to convert those to the IR emitters that I attach to my TV, HTPC and so on?

I know most of this can be done (even though it requires quite a bit of cash and experience to purchase and program that remote), but I'm not sure at all if these new receivers have the capability to accept remote commands over wifi at all? How locked down are those things? Are there only a limited set of controls that the DLNA and streaming app for Androind and iOS utilizes, or are there possibilities here?

I have very limited knowledge of recievers, and how those have evolved. Those of you who know more... Are things like this possible at all? Are there models that does support this?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

BillT

• World Citizen
Re: Receiver with WIFI/LAN control capabilities
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 04:43:11 pm »

The last point there made me think.....
The receiver are the ONLY component in my setup that I want to have on at ALL times when I'm using my A/V equipment. What if I was able to use this as a base for controlling the other equipment. In 2013 I believe it's about time to go away from IR and start using Wifi to control things instead. I've used RF until now, but the RF to IR converting takes time on my logitech 900, and I'm sick of the extra latency.

What if I managed to program a remote like the URC's TRC-1280 with Wifi, to send signals to my reciever (over wifi and the LAN), and the receiver to convert those to the IR emitters that I attach to my TV, HTPC and so on?

I know most of this can be done (even though it requires quite a bit of cash and experience to purchase and program that remote), but I'm not sure at all if these new receivers have the capability to accept remote commands over wifi at all? How locked down are those things? Are there only a limited set of controls that the DLNA and streaming app for Androind and iOS utilizes, or are there possibilities here?

I have very limited knowledge of recievers, and how those have evolved. Those of you who know more... Are things like this possible at all? Are there models that does support this?

I have a bottom of the range Denon AVR-1912 and it can be controlled over the network. There are Android and iWhatever apps that let you do it. In fact the IR remote is so awful that I use an Android app to control it. It also has a slow and clunky web server, so it can be controlled from a browser on the network. I'd expect the Onkyo to have this facility, as all the other fairly recent receivers seem to.

Have to say that the Denon implementation isn't 100% reliable, so I wouldn't try and use it for anything as complicated as you want. That could well be just Denon though!

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 03:31:44 am »

The question is how customizable those wifi remote capabilities are. I don't know if it's possible at all to get details of how it works, and for example utilize that in your own application for android. I would be aiming for a wifi remote eventually, but it can take some time before acceptable user/programming friendly devices are produced.

MM_switcher

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:09:20 am »

I recently bought the Yamaha RX-V473 and am very happy with it. There's a good Android remote App on Google play for that. If you you take the higher-level model RX-V573 you also have a second zone.
And the sound is really great!

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 07:50:23 am »

A little Googling reveals that Onkyo use the same system as Denon which is to send RS232 commands over ethernet, with a bit of extra encapsulation data. No doubt the RS232 commands are unique to Onkyo, but I'm sure they're out there somewhere. There are already apps out there that control Onkyo receivers, so I think the info is available.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/commandfusion/EmEom0_XTbE

and

http://blog.hekkers.net/2011/06/13/controlling-the-av-receiver/

have a bit of information, and there seem to be a few more discussions about how to do it out there. It looks as though most things can be controlled; the IR blaster may not be though!

https://sites.google.com/a/webarts.ca/toms-blog/Blog/new-blog-items/javaeiscp-integraserialcontrolprotocol/ISCP-V1.21_2011.xls?attredirects=0 has the Onkyo protocol - found on https://sites.google.com/a/webarts.ca/toms-blog/Blog/new-blog-items/javaeiscp-integraserialcontrolprotocol

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:56:09 am »

I recently helped a friend setup an Onkyo TX-NR609 ($252 shipped from shoponkyo.com). He downloaded the oRemote app for his iPad and had wireless control within minutes. The program also controlled his Blu-ray player and I think even his projector. Maybe he had a different app for his projector. Anyway, it was a very nice app and allowed for almost complete control of anything on the receiver. I would think an iPod Touch, oRemote, and JRemote would make a nice remote system. Apple was selling refurbished iPod Touches for $129 last month.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 12:01:46 pm »

oRemote - that's a sweet looking app.  Much better looking than the Integra app.  Thanks for suggesting it.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 01:22:23 pm »

Thanks for the details, BillT. Is seems like it's possible to control much on the receiver it self. But if I can't control more equipment, I either have to replace them with Wifi capable devices, or figure out another approach. Getting rid of IR and having two way communication remotes seems to be a dream that's not feasible quite yet. Without spending an awful lot of money that is..
Pages: [1]   Go Up