INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRMC18 + Windows 8  (Read 2255 times)

bassmann

• Recent member
JRMC18 + Windows 8
« on: January 10, 2013, 02:28:37 am »

Hi there,

I'm running JRMC18 on Windows 7 wich is a dedicated HTPC / media server.

Should I upgrade to Windows 8 (with the MS special before 31/01/13)?

What are the pros and cons with MC being the core app?

Cheers,

Warwick

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRMC18 + Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 03:16:26 am »

There's been a nice discussion here.

I may not be a good person to ask about Windows 8, I hate it. But as you can read in that thread I linked there are some advantages, I guess it depends on how you use it.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:37:11 am »

I'm running JRMC18 on Windows 7 which is a dedicated HTPC / media server.

If it's working great now - there are absolutely no pros (no must have features or benefits to MC) in switching the entire OS out now.

Win 7 is mature, tried, tested and true while Win 8 is...not. And don't forget to factor in the hassle of prepping your old machine for a new install, backing everything up, finding drivers, troubleshooting the install after a ton of issues crop up...and then of course the Win 8 "experience"....I will leave that you you to consider....

For a dedicated HTPC that sits in the corner and sees almost zero user interaction with the actual OS - my money would be on most reliable and stable option possible.

And I am right in the trenches with you - I am about to build my very first HTPC in the coming weeks and there is no way I would ever consider using Windows 8 for it. It will be new challenge trying to "sell" a computer to the family for movie night as it is - never mind having to play "MS Tech Support"  if the OS starts barfing half way thru a flick :)

If I was you and your machine is rockin as is - I could not find a single reason to upset that balance.

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:05:13 am »

FWIW...  I've been using Windows 8 since the first beta release in VMs.  The problems with it are basically all usability and design, not stability.  The upsides to Windows 8 are:

1. It is FAST.
2. It is rock-solid stable with supported hardware.
3. The Desktop-side improvements to things like Windows Explorer are very nice.

The downsides (which are not trivial) are all about usability, look-and-feel/design, and Metro.  I wouldn't be super-concerned with stability, though.  I'd call it equal-to-or-better-than Windows 7 in that regard.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:56:05 am »

The downsides (which are not trivial) are all about usability, look-and-feel/design, and Metro.  I wouldn't be super-concerned with stability, though.  I'd call it equal-to-or-better-than Windows 7 in that regard.

But it is worth the effort and hassle of ditching a known good, solid Win 7 Pro scenario - to be equal or slightly better?

Speed is one thing - but it's still a HTPC and for most of us - that represents a box sitting in corner doing nothing (windows-wise) for most of it's useful life.

I know you use yours a lot more extensively for a bunch of other things - so 8 may benefit in this case.

For my new build - this box will be like a piece of furniture - called to "be there" to play my music and movies as needed. And outside of the initial build - once this box is rolling with MC, booting to Theater View and being controlled via JRemote...I seriously doubt that I will ever even see the Win UI or the start menu again.

VP

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 10:08:27 am »

When it comes to an HTPC, you should treat it like an appliance.  If it is working perfectly, leave it alone (outside of security updates) unless you have a specific reason to change something.

If I were building a new HTPC, I would put Windows 8 on it without hesitation.  For an existing HTPC with no specific use case need to do so I would not.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 10:31:26 am »

But it is worth the effort and hassle of ditching a known good, solid Win 7 Pro scenario - to be equal or slightly better?

No, I wasn't addressing that.

I was just commenting that, of the myriad of problems with Windows 8, stability isn't one.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 10:59:16 am »

I was just commenting that, of the myriad of problems with Windows 8, stability isn't one.

Understood - however - "stability" with 8 is not universally proven across the board - yet. Stability at your house with your gear may not equal the same for me ( or someone else.)

Win 7 on the other hand has been battle tested and pounded into submission by probably every possible hardware combo possible since 2009. There is little to nothing left to discover there - hence it's a better choice for the non-technical type that just wants to get MC rolling and have a machine that "works" with almost a zero learning curve.

To me - any OS that exhibiting a "myriad" of problems - regardless of what area those problems lie - is not - a good candidate for my HTPC. (new or existing)

I like the "appliance" reference as used by BartMan. If there is such a thing - Windows 7 Pro is it for me (right now). 8 will probably get there - but it's needs 3 years or so before earning my "just works" rating. But with it's wonky UI - I can't see myself ever using it on a traditional PC.

VP

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 01:53:38 pm »

I updated an HP laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

With Windows 7 on that laptop I had problems using the WiFi and playing music on a USB DAC at the same time.  The WiFi would cause the music to glitch.  That problem is gone in Windows 8.  The WiFi no longer causes the music to glitch.  Same hardware, same laptop.  Windows 8 works better.  It's really really nice to be able to play music and use WiFi at the same time.

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 02:39:42 pm »

According to what I hear netflix has come out with a windows 8 app, that gives much better audio and sound quality then you get with IE in windows 7.
(and as long as jriver does not support netflix in countries outside the us that migh be a reason for some - at lesast for me)

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 05:27:56 pm »

FWIW...  I've been using Windows 8 since the first beta release in VMs.  The problems with it are basically all usability and design, not stability.  The upsides to Windows 8 are:

1. It is FAST.
2. It is rock-solid stable with supported hardware.
3. The Desktop-side improvements to things like Windows Explorer are very nice.

The downsides (which are not trivial) are all about usability, look-and-feel/design, and Metro.  I wouldn't be super-concerned with stability, though.  I'd call it equal-to-or-better-than Windows 7 in that regard.

That's an incredibly short-sighted way to look at it. Maybe on a superannuated non-touch machine upgraded to Windows 8 it has usability problems. However, letting everyone I know loose on my XPS One 27" Touch (Let alone the Yoga, etc) has them raving about Windows 8 (and at least one guy severely regretting his non-touch, pile of junk budget HP that he just bought).

I seriously expected jR to be addressing the amazing potential of W8 than being sidetracked by OS X.
Pages: [1]   Go Up