INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some sound degradation after upgrading to 18.0.112  (Read 1967 times)

badou

• Recent member
Some sound degradation after upgrading to 18.0.112
« on: January 12, 2013, 03:43:23 pm »

Hello,

I'm using MC18 and ASIO driver under win7 64Bits.

Yesterday, after upgrading my convolution files (new room mesurements) sound quality using ASIO driver was very good. The version of MC18 was 18.0.110.
Today, when I launched MC, a first automatic upgrade installed version 18.0.111 Sound was horrible compared to yesterday  ?

I made a manual search for an upgrade and found version 18.0.112. After installation of this version, sound is better than 18.0.111, but not as good as 18.0.110 I imagine my ears are guilty. Each day, a new pair of ears...

But, my ears are not guilty, on each manual track change, of the "plok" in the speakers  :o
I'm sure the "plok" was not there yesterday, when I listened a few tracks to "ear" my new convolution files. The "Plok" is there using ASIO or Kernel Streaming.

Can someone confirm or infirm this change in sound quality between versions.

Thank you.

badou

• Recent member
Re: Some sound degradation after upgrading to 18.0.112
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 04:10:00 pm »

Just reinstalled "old" 18.0.106 version... And "plok" is gone  :D
Sound seems more relax too. But, for this, it's perhaps my ears...  ;D

Can I (and where) download version 18.0.110 ? I can't find it on my disk

Thank you.

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 04:14:45 pm »

This does not directly address your question, but have you given a try at using WASAPI or WASAPI Event Style for your output?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 04:25:59 pm »

There have been no audio quality related changes between 110 and 112.

If you're getting sporadic results, double-check your connections and testing methodology.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

badou

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 03:06:55 am »

This does not directly address your question, but have you given a try at using WASAPI or WASAPI Event Style for your output?

No, just tested it with ASIO or KS. Now I reinstalled v18.0.106, there's no more "ploks" between tracks and the sound quality is restored. I'm going to upgrade this version and check with all the audio interfaces.
Thank you.

badou

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 03:36:29 am »

There have been no audio quality related changes between 110 and 112.

If you're getting sporadic results, double-check your connections and testing methodology.

It's not sporadic, it's systematic : I reinstalled v18.0.112 and "ploks" are here again. I have this with : ASIO, Direct Sound, Kernel Streaming, Wasapi, Wasapi - Event Style and waveout.
Intensity of the "plok" is different between tracks and type of audio interface, but it's definitly there. I use "Gapped Fade - 3s". There's no "Plok" in default "Cross-fade (aggressive) - 4s"

BUT

I found 5 versions on my PC : MediaCenter180103.exe, MediaCenter180104.exe, MediaCenter180106.exe, MediaCenter180111.exe and MediaCenter180112.exe
So, I conclude that the version I called 110 was not the version I was listening to, because the exec file is not on my disk.
I was listening to version 106. The last stable version automatically upgraded by MC.

So, back to version 106... And "Ploks" are gone again with all the audio interfaces. Connections untouched and methology intact. Kind of systematic behavior, no ?
Is there a difference in audio management between 106 and 111/112 ?

Thank you.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 11:20:33 am »

You need to give a lot more information:

- If you stop using convolution, do the problems go away ?
- What is your PC hardware ?
- What is your audio hardware ?

just for starters.

Datman - you should always start a new thread for any discussion that is different from the Subject line.

Sheriff1972

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 11:53:20 am »

Are you using internal volume?

If so you may have loudness enabled (this is now working in 112).

This gives a noticeable sound difference.

Since it is now working, i have turned it off, as it sounds odd to me (have only tested it for a few mins with my PC speakers rather than my stereo.

Sheriff

badou

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 12:35:33 pm »

badou sound to me like I am just as much of a sound fanatic as you may be. I’m fairly new to MC18 and the more I discover about it the more I love it.

Did you figure out what was causing your problem?  I too am running 106 and am cautious about updates.

Datman, I like MC18 too. AT least version 18.0.106  ;D
I like MC18 better than all the others players I listen to (free or not). For the sound quality, you can find a little better than MC18. But for the overall features and quality, MC18 is a no-brainer quality-price ratio. No competition here, IMO.

Perhaps I'm a sound fanatic. But I don't think so. When I wrote that "sound was horrible" with version 18.0.112, it was a bit exagerate. I confess. "Different and not in the good direction" is more adequate. But the "ploks" were not bearable. Sound fanatic or not. I'll continue to use version 106 until an other stable version came out...

For the best sound quality, you should give a try to Kernel Streaming and compare the sound to ASIO. And there's also WASAPI that some really appreciate. For my part, I don't really like the WASAPI sound (Event style or not) But it can be different for you.

You need to give a lot more information:

- If you stop using convolution, do the problems go away ?
- What is your PC hardware ?
- What is your audio hardware ?

kstuart, with or whitout convolution, "ploks" are there with version 18.0.112 and, with the same PC hardware and the same audio hardware, not there in version 18.0.106
I checked twice today.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 01:45:42 pm »

Datman, I like MC18 too. AT least version 18.0.106  ;D
I like MC18 better than all the others players I listen to (free or not). For the sound quality, you can find a little better than MC18. But for the overall features and quality, MC18 is a no-brainer quality-price ratio. No competition here, IMO.

Thanks for your comment. I removed my post because I should have started a new thread. When I get my thoughts together I will post it.

badou

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 03:35:15 am »

Are you using internal volume?

If so you may have loudness enabled (this is now working in 112).

This gives a noticeable sound difference.

Sheriff, thanks for the hint !
Yes, all my zones use internal volume, but none of them with loudness on.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 11:24:33 am »

I think there's an issue with gapped fade where it can play a little of the previous track as the new track starts if you're resampling.

This is fallout from this fix in build 109:
Fixed: With resampling enabled, the setting to play sequential album tracks gapless would not work properly if the between track mode was gapped.

We'll get this fixed in the next build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up