INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio CDs won't play  (Read 700 times)

Yaamon

• Recent member
Audio CDs won't play
« on: January 12, 2013, 03:50:04 pm »

When I try to play an audio CD in MC18, I get the generic message "Something went wrong with playback".  I tried unselecting Tools | Options | CD, DVD & BD |  General | "Use Digital Playback of Audio CDs", same result.  Playing the CD in WMP works fine.  Note that MC18 doesn't even spin the drive up.  Playing back library music works fine.  I tried to switch output devices (Initial device: external Bel Canto USB Link; also tried Direct Sound default device); again, library music would play in both cases, but I get the same error when playing an audio CD.

Anyone have suggestions to get audio CDs playing?

Yaamon

• Recent member
Re: Audio CDs won't play
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 09:26:31 am »

OK, I wanted to add some things I found out.  The computer in question is an HP laptop with a fresh full Windows 8 install (not an upgrade install).
The laptop has a built-in optical drive D:, but that drive has had problems so I purchased an external USB DVD writer, which is E:.
In my first post, when I put an audio CD in the external drive E:, I get an error.

So, I put an audio CD in D: (internal drive) and it plays fine. 

If I have an audio CD in D: (internal drive) and put an audio CD in E: (external drive) and ask MC18 to play the audio CD in E:, it plays the corresponding track on D: but reports it is playing E:.  So, if no disc is in D: it reports an error.

Note that WMP plays these scenarios correctly.  You can switch back and forth between D: and E: at will and play both successfully.

It appears MC18 may be confused about playing my second external drive.  It thinks its playing the 2nd external drive but it actually playing the internal drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up