INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OTA TV: Standard Media Center and Theater View mismatch  (Read 3661 times)

Battledad

• World Citizen
OTA TV: Standard Media Center and Theater View mismatch
« on: January 12, 2013, 05:49:28 pm »

When I go to Theater view my list of channels is smaller and the time is off by 4 hours. In the standard view everything appears fine...it's the Theater mode. Help?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: OTA TV: Standard Media Center and Theater View mismatch
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 09:41:00 am »

I can not explain the 4 hour time difference.  Regarding the number of channels, if a channel is not matched with programs, it will not appear in Theater View.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 12:25:30 pm »

Why would the channels and programs be matched in the standard view but not all in the theater view?

Is there a time setting in theater view or a time setting for TV somewhere I should check?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 03:30:53 pm »

Why would the channels and programs be matched in the standard view but not all in the theater view?

What I meant was, maybe some channels are not automatically matched with EPG data, and you did not manually make a match during EPG scan.  What you can check is to go to standard view, and click each channel entry and see if there is programming info for each channel.  You might find a channel or two that has no programming info.  Those would be the channels that you do not see in Theater View.

Is there a time setting in theater view or a time setting for TV somewhere I should check?

I am not aware of any time setting that would make Theater view different from standard view.  So the time issue is still a mystery.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 03:38:12 pm »

Can you clarify what you meant by "the time is off by 4 hours"?  Did you mean that a 6 PM show appears in the Theater View as a 10 PM (or 2 PM) show?

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 07:42:58 pm »

I just went in and it was about 5:20pm Pacific and the theater view showed 9:20pm

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 08:03:18 pm »

Date; Time; Channel and Program Name show but no description for any of them. Some show and some don't. If none have a description should none show? Or, should I be looking elsewhere for information on each channel? Let me say that I am using a small desktop antenna for the moment and expect that the system probably sees some stations at times and not at others due to the little antenna (which will be alleviated when I switch to the main antenna outside).

Can one change the size of the font on the display for the TV guide in theater view to increase the amount of material that can be seen on the screen at one time?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 08:04:29 pm »

So it is Theater View in general, and not specifically only in TV guide?  Does TV guide in Theater View show correct programs (i.e. the 9:30 column in the grid displays the shows that are supposed to be aired at 9:30)?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 08:13:54 pm »

Date; Time; Channel and Program Name show but no description for any of them. Some show and some don't. If none have a description should none show? Or, should I be looking elsewhere for information on each channel? Let me say that I am using a small desktop antenna for the moment and expect that the system probably sees some stations at times and not at others due to the little antenna (which will be alleviated when I switch to the main antenna outside).

Do you use over-the-air guide data for ATSC?  The OTA guide data is often incomplete.  We recommend using one of the XML options.

In Theater View, the grid shows only the title of the program.  If you click it, the description is shown.

Can one change the size of the font on the display for the TV guide in theater view to increase the amount of material that can be seen on the screen at one time?

Tools > Options > Theater View > Appearance > Size (change from 100% to something like 50%).

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 09:52:47 pm »

Standard View: Time shows correctly

Theater View: Time shows 4 hours later

How does one get and set up an xml version of the guide?

I'll try the size change setting suggested

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 09:56:01 pm »

So it is Theater View in general, and not specifically only in TV guide?  Does TV guide in Theater View show correct programs (i.e. the 9:30 column in the grid displays the shows that are supposed to be aired at 9:30)?

The Theater view shows the wrong time AND the programs 4 hours later...so...the entire guide is off by 4 hours (time and programming shown)

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 10:06:48 pm »

When I went in to change the size I decided to try other theme's. After trying most I left it on Acajou and chose to show buttons. When I went back to the Theater view and TV guide now shows the time columns in 30 minute increments with the correct times and shows (which matches the standard view). So, apparently changing the theme corrected the issue? I have not gone back to Obsidian theme to see how it looks.

Any thoughts on why changing the theme (if that was it) would correct the time/listing issue?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 08:58:20 am »

I am glad you found a work-around.  Yesterday it occurred to me that maybe it had to do with skin and went ahead with trying each one of them.  No problem was found in my tests.

Did you in anyway customize the skins?

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 10:28:34 am »

I did not customize any skin. I did enable the use of buttons during the change to a different skin.

How would I go about trying xml fot the guide?

Battledad

• World Citizen
Re: OTA TV: Standard Media Center and Theater View mismatch - Update
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 11:15:19 am »

It is now Monday morning just before 9am pacific. I opened the TV function in theater view and now see that the first time block showing is 1pm (4 hours later than it actually is). The programming is for the 1pm (and later) time frame. So, we are back to the same problem.

I exited Theater to standard and the time and programming is correct. I launched a TV program and it played. I went back to theater view and the TV still shows 1pm.

I then exited JRiver all together. I relaunched, looked at standard (which is correct) and then went to theater view and it still shows 1pm so it continues to be off by 4 hours.

I went in and changed to Obsidian, saved and checked standard (its correct) and then back to theater view and still shows 1pm.

I then went back and changed back to the Anjeou theme, checked standard (its correct on tv) and then back to theater and it still shows 1pm.

Next I rebooted the system (Win 7 64 bit; 4gb ram; ATI VC and Hauppag TV card). All software current. Checked standard view and TV correct. Entered theater and TV shows 1pm (4 hours later).

Is there a refresh option or something else? I like the software but this is a deal breaker.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 11:33:50 am »

I did not customize any skin. I did enable the use of buttons during the change to a different skin.

How would I go about trying xml fot the guide?

If you execute "Load Programming Guide..." from TV Options in standard view, you will get choices for ways of obtaining guide data.  The first choice, saying "Download EPG Automatically (recommended)" actually uses xmltv stuff.  Only the second choice, "Over the air signal (ATSC tuners only)" uses your tuner to get the guide data.  The next two options also uses xmltv.

Yaobing

• Administrator
Re: OTA TV: Standard Media Center and Theater View mismatch - Update
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 11:42:58 am »

It is now Monday morning just before 9am pacific. I opened the TV function in theater view and now see that the first time block showing is 1pm (4 hours later than it actually is). The programming is for the 1pm (and later) time frame. So, we are back to the same problem.

I exited Theater to standard and the time and programming is correct. I launched a TV program and it played. I went back to theater view and the TV still shows 1pm.

I then exited JRiver all together. I relaunched, looked at standard (which is correct) and then went to theater view and it still shows 1pm so it continues to be off by 4 hours.

I went in and changed to Obsidian, saved and checked standard (its correct) and then back to theater view and still shows 1pm.

I then went back and changed back to the Anjeou theme, checked standard (its correct on tv) and then back to theater and it still shows 1pm.

Next I rebooted the system (Win 7 64 bit; 4gb ram; ATI VC and Hauppag TV card). All software current. Checked standard view and TV correct. Entered theater and TV shows 1pm (4 hours later).

Is there a refresh option or something else? I like the software but this is a deal breaker.

The guide grid actually should shows data from current half-hour slot and later time slots.  Could it be just the matter of moving the slider near the bottom of the grid to change time slots?  Unfortunately the slider is very hard to see, especially with Obsidian skin.

Please see attached screen shot.

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 01:27:16 pm »

It was set to ATSC (tuner). I'm now choosing the recommended but it wants me to click each channel to configure it? I need to do that I assume to move forward.

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 01:39:40 pm »

I downloaded xmltv from source forge and unzipped it in the MC18 folder. Now I'm trying to find the instructions on how to set it up.

The recommended choice appears to require choosing a service provider. Since we are using OTA and not a service provider then it doesn't appear that I can use that option.

Suggestions?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 02:00:27 pm »

It was set to ATSC (tuner). I'm now choosing the recommended but it wants me to click each channel to configure it? I need to do that I assume to move forward.

With ATSC, usually you do not have to manual configure each channel, but some channels may require attention.  If you see "(Click here to configure)" next to a channel, it means you do have to configure it.  You only need to do it once.  Before you go ahead with configuring each channel, you can try clicking the "Auto Match" button.  Once you have all your channels configured, you will not need to do it again next time.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 02:09:43 pm »

I downloaded xmltv from source forge and unzipped it in the MC18 folder. Now I'm trying to find the instructions on how to set it up.

This option is provided for people in some other countries - people who have to rely on getting guide data from a different source.  It will work for you too, but the first option is far better (see below).

When you choose this option, the next step asks you to enter either an executable file name, or an xml file name.  The former is used if you have a third-party program that can be executed and will download the data for you.  The latter is used if you manually downloaded the xml file into some folder (or you setup a third-party program to automatically download the xml file into that folder for you).

The recommended choice appears to require choosing a service provider. Since we are using OTA and not a service provider then it doesn't appear that I can use that option.

Suggestions?

Even though it asks you to choose a "service provider", one of the "service providers" should be "Digital Terrestrial Lineup".  That is what you should choose.  This is far better than other options.  You just need to choose "United States" for country, and enter your zip code for postal code.

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 02:10:05 pm »

Choosing the first choice "recommended" requires one to choose a provider. Is there a generic one or does it matter that we are not using Comcast or Dish, etc.? I can't move beyond the first window without choosing a provider.

Battledad

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 02:15:00 pm »

I chose Digital Terretrial, Automatch and it found all but 4. I clicked next and it now has a number of descriptions that weren't there before. It appears to be working correctly in Theater view now...let's see if it continues to work over the next day or so.

Many thanks for all the help.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 02:45:19 pm »

You are very welcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up