INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audible aax files  (Read 2410 times)

alder0

• Recent member
Audible aax files
« on: January 13, 2013, 01:12:18 am »

I find it hard to understand why a premier media utility such as JRiver has failed to support the high fidelity aax files that have been offered by Audible for over two years now.  We expect and usually get top quality audio from JRiver.  Why have they (you, dear developers) settled for the second quality aa files when aax is so superior? ?

alder0

• Recent member
Re: Audible aax files (addendum)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 01:27:16 am »

I should correct this question by adding that some earlier version of MC did, indeed, recognize and include aax files in the database, but this doesn't seem to be true with MC18.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. ::)

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Audible aax files
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 02:38:44 am »

Were these files typically DRM'd?  There is one thread with Matt's response that indicates JRiver requires APIs from Audible.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

alder0

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 05:01:05 pm »

Have you folks contacted Aubible?  I could call them, but I have no standing.  Meanwhile, you apparently have API's for aa files. ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 07:34:47 pm »

We spent quite a lot of time on Audible in years past, but the amount of interest from users and from Audible themselves was low relative to the amount of effort.

So for now, I'd recommend using the Audible software for your AAX files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

alder0

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 09:23:13 pm »

The Audible listing under Services & Plugins does not work in MC18 (It says download the latest version of MC--which is wrong).

Meanwhile, one of the main reasons for using MC is your outstanding database.  Of course I can use audible manage; YOU (i.e. MC) use audible manager; but that defeats the database capabilities of MC.  Moreover, even now, if one downloads audible aa files (which are lower bitrate than aax files), you read all the relevant information from the file, including the thumbnail image & course information.  I can't see any reason that if you've done it for aa files, you can't extend it to aax files.  This should be close to a no-brainer.  After all, this is a database that doesn't care about the bit rate; that is handled by audible manager.

At some time in the past, MC recognized aax files, but read none of the auxiliary information that you now read from aa files. ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up