INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black levels  (Read 1902 times)

KrilleK

• Recent member
Black levels
« on: January 14, 2013, 01:13:57 am »

Hello, Im new here. I am running the trial version of MC18, and I have noticed something that seems strange. The black levels in MC18 seems wrong compared to other players. Im using MC18 together with madvr and lav filters. I have tried to set up MC18 exactly the same as MPC HC wich I usually use. I have also compared MC18 with potplayer, zoomplayer and mpc be, with madvr and lav, and in all of those the black levels seems correct. I have not changed any settings in madvr or lav when using it in MC18, but the picture looks much brighter. Black looks more like gray in MC18 compared with the others.

Is there any setting in MC18 that Im missing?

Excuse me for my bad English, hope you understand what I mean.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Black levels
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 01:32:13 am »

If you are using RO HQ, then that uses a private version of madVR.  To config right click while playing --> Direct Show Filters --> madVR and see if changing the video Properties of you screen works.

There has been a bit of discussion about including a White / Black level calibration test pattern but it has not made up high enough up the "ToDo" list (yet).
JRiver CEO Elect

KrilleK

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 01:47:55 am »

If you are using RO HQ, then that uses a private version of madVR.  To config right click while playing --> Direct Show Filters --> madVR and see if changing the video Properties of you screen works.

There has been a bit of discussion about including a White / Black level calibration test pattern but it has not made up high enough up the "ToDo" list (yet).

I am using the custom mode, not RO HQ.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 02:01:28 am »

Welcome.

Your english is fine :).

have you checked madvr config, you can choose between 0-255 RGB levels and limited 16-235.

KrilleK

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 02:18:45 am »

Welcome.

Your english is fine :).

have you checked madvr config, you can choose between 0-255 RGB levels and limited 16-235.

Yes I have. It is set to 16-235. The strange thing is that that setting is looking good in all the other players I mentioned except MC18. If I set it to 0-255 it looks better In MC18 (maybe a little bit to dark, I dont know, havent had time to really check that out), but much to dark in the other players. I cant understand how it can be such a difference?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 02:32:32 am »

There is only three things that will play with black levels:
- Video Renderer (and only madVR gives you the choice)
- GPU Drivers (should be the same regardless of the player)
- AV / TV (should be the same regardless of the player)

I'd stick with ROHQ (if you PC can handle madVR which sounds like it can) and try the adjustment in the settings page.
JRiver CEO Elect

KrilleK

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 02:46:04 am »

There is only three things that will play with black levels:
- Video Renderer (and only madVR gives you the choice)
- GPU Drivers (should be the same regardless of the player)
- AV / TV (should be the same regardless of the player)

I'd stick with ROHQ (if you PC can handle madVR which sounds like it can) and try the adjustment in the settings page.

Yes, well I havent touched the GPU driver settings and not the AV/TV settings either. So as I said, I think its really strange that the same settings in madvr is giving me different result in MC18 compared to other mediaplayers. :o

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 02:48:46 am »

Till JR add their own test patterns, the only real way to test is to use somehting like the AVSHD 709 Calibration:  More Calibration Clips than you can poke a stick at http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration .  That said I really like this one https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59011278/Brightness%20and%20Contrast.m2ts especially the 3-6min mark as it helps to quickly verify if you have the whole Full Vs Limited / Contrast and Brightness settings correct for your setup.

JRiver CEO Elect

gingellr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 06:55:25 pm »

Hi,

I have always had the same problem using MC (nividia GT430)

I am using the avs hd 709 test patterns and now running MC18

If i use TMT, to get the correct black level so that above 16 is flashing i set my TV brightness control to 57, which is correct.
If i use MC with mad-vr set to (16-235) the black levels are way too high so i need to set my TV to 39 to get the same results as above. (at the "normal" TV setting you can see right down to level 2 flashing)
If i set mad-vr to (0-255) the black levels are correct again i.e. the same as the TMT results, but at that setting the blacks are being crushed as if i raise the brightness nothing is visible below level 16 on the test patterns.

I get exactly the same results on my projector.

So the options are to have mad-vr set to (16-235) and set the brightness lower than it should be on my TV/projector but then all other connected devices are wrong or
set mad-vr to (0-255) then everything is correct on all devices including MC but then i am getting black crush. (this is the setting i currently use)

So to me it looks like mad-vr is putting out the wrong level when set to (16-235)

The results are similar when you look at white level.
Pages: [1]   Go Up