INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: 'Info' view.  (Read 2763 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: 'Info' view.
« on: January 14, 2013, 05:33:41 pm »

When I am playing back content from my Blu Ray player/PS3/Xbox 360/etc, I can hit the 'info' button and get a nice pop up summary of all of the important things going on with playback.  This includes things like bitrates, audio and video types, and a lot more useful information.  The PS3 has one of the best, low impact but full of useful information info pop ups.  Most of it is visible in MC if you scroll through the pop up menus, but it would be nice to have a quick bring up info/take it away option in MC like there is in most hardware solutions.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Feature Request: 'Info' view.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 02:38:09 am »

MC currently had lots of info exposed in the Audio Path (but you have to press the button in Std View - It would be great to bring this up with the Info Button as an OSD from a RC (nice Idea).  Matt has said he will look at adding a similar Video Path info at some stage.
JRiver CEO Elect

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 04:56:42 am »

+1  This would be a really good idea! For the true HT experience we need video and audio info to be reachable via remote (even if there is a keyboard shortcut that would do!) Also stops the wife rolling her eyes during movies when I go for the mouse saying hang on let me check something..........

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:00:19 am »

I agree on the WAF 100% - never reach for the keyboard!
JRiver CEO Elect

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:26:45 am »

Yes, yes, yes!

That's my vote for a floating info OSD.

But the big question is what info to pit in it. Ideally it would be completely customisable. 

SBR

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:22:57 am »

If you talk about not reaching for the keyboard... That is what the Theater View is for. You can easily add very much info there. For both the small info pane and the large one. I agree that there could be a fixed or customizable set of info properties shown in a floating window during playback, if the info button was pressed. Again, in Theater View. But, I don't really see the huge need for it when there's possible to review all of this before playback? I don't see where this would fit in standard view though.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:06:22 am »

+1 in theater view ...

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 12:47:18 pm »

If you talk about not reaching for the keyboard... That is what the Theater View is for. You can easily add very much info there. For both the small info pane and the large one. I agree that there could be a fixed or customizable set of info properties shown in a floating window during playback, if the info button was pressed. Again, in Theater View. But, I don't really see the huge need for it when there's possible to review all of this before playback? I don't see where this would fit in standard view though.

The request is to see what is currently going on at the moment, not what is available in total.  For example, you may have 3 audio tracks and two video tracks.  The info views in most hardware systems include helpful information like exactly which video and audio streams are currently running + real time bit rate info, what chapter you are on, progress bar (that can alternate easily between time left vs time progressed), plus more all on one screen for quick review with the layout in the 'black bar' area for 2:x content and without having to page around.  If you have a PS3 (or any other hardware player for that matter), throw in a movie and bring up the info screen to see what I am talking about.

it is one of those things that is a more 'nice to have', but I have always found it extremely useful to have.

Given all of the moving parts in play it may not be possible to get all of the information needed from the different renderers or it may be much more difficult that I realize to implement.

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 04:08:18 pm »

Ok. I understand better now I think. I would support such a addition. Hitting the Info button to get an overlay display on the lower part of the screen perhaps. With cover art, caption and so on. And it's all hidden again when you navigate. Yea. I'd like the idea.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 03:59:17 pm »

Ok. I understand better now I think. I would support such a addition. Hitting the Info button to get an overlay display on the lower part of the screen perhaps. With cover art, caption and so on. And it's all hidden again when you navigate. Yea. I'd like the idea.
Exactly !!!!!! one very needed info is the audio format currently playing. If you don't bitstream to an AVR (which will display the format) and you watch music concerts in theaterview you have no clue which audio format you are playing as the OSD only shows (english 1, english 2 , english 3 for instance). Only workaround today is taking out the keyboard and navigating to the audio path which gives you the answer but you have to use the keyboard and the audiopath window is "normally" small compared to the theaterview font size.
Pages: [1]   Go Up