INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outlook footer (html) broken on sent email after installing MC18  (Read 3484 times)

peteh

Several of our employees have installed the newest version of J River Media Center 18 as a 30 day trial on Windows XP and Windows 7 machines with installations of either MS Office 2003, 2007 or 2010.  In the email client Outlook, which installs as part of the MS Office versions noted, the email footers installed as HTML signatures for those with the JRiver installs arrives to recipients with the html broken (yielding a box with a red X in it).  I have tried re-associating the standard MS Picture Viewer application as the the default for file types jpg and jpeg in an effort to remedy this problem, but with no luck.  The signatures look fine on the machines sending the email.  Does anyone know of a fix for this issue.  We really want to continue using the JRiver software.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Outlook footer (html) broken on sent email after installing MC18
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 06:04:08 pm »

I can't imagine how MC could affect Outlook, but I suppose anything might be possible.

You can set the file associations that MC uses under Tools/Options/Filetypes.

If you can provide more detail of what actually happens, we might be able to help more.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 06:04:21 pm »

Welcome.

I don't see how Media Center could affect HTML rendering in Outlook.

However, you can select file associations during install (it always asks), or later in Options > File Associations in the program if you think it might be file associations (ie. what gets run when you launch a file).

[edit -- Jim is too fast, but I'll let both responses sit]
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

peteh

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 06:47:34 pm »

Thanks for your responses.  I have tried to address the file association situation for the jpg and jpeg file types both in JRiver and directly in Windows to no avail.  We removed the software from a critical machine today and the email being sent from Outlook has returned to normal.  The exact situation is as follows: We have html footers that are inserted (as a signature)  in all of our corporate email.  The html is actually entirely a jpg file simply converted to html using an html editor that is embedding the jpg file.  When an email is composed in Outlook (versions 2003, 2007 and 2010) everything looks just fine to the user sending the mail.  They see their footer at the bottom of the composed email.  When the mail is sent, there are no overt errors that the sender sees; everything appears to be normal.  Anyone receiving the mail, gets all of the text of the email but the signature is a box with a red ex in it.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 12:47:23 am »

Something similar has come up before, I'll see if I can find it.

It had to do with registry settings for file associations.

brb :P

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 12:59:07 am »

What I think is happening is that Outlook previously included the image from the signature "inline", the image is embedded when the message is sent. After the registry tweaks from MC Outlook stops doing that (or it fails silently).

But it doesn't happen always, I can't replicate the issue. Maybe I can try this on an Outlook 2010 machine.

I guess you could for the time being not associate jpg's with MC. MC can still import and work with jpgs, its just that they won't open with MC when you double click them from Explorer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up