INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting confused and frustrated trying to set up Album View  (Read 1546 times)

aquatarkus

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Getting confused and frustrated trying to set up Album View
« on: January 15, 2013, 03:17:16 pm »

Hi there, thanks for reading

I'm getting confused, flustered and frustrated trying to get my Artists and Albums to show in theatre view (or any view to be honest)

I have all my music stored as separate folders for each artist then inside that folder I have separate folders for their albums

I.E Bob Seger\Ramblin' Gamblin Man\tracks
                    \Noah\tracks
                    \Back in 72\tracks

Various artists albums are filed in same way
IE Hit Dossier\Hit Dossier 1969 -1970 CD1\Tracks
                    \Hit Dossier 1969 -1970 CD2\tracks
and so on

When I used to use Windows Media Centre with Media Browser and Music Browser 2 I could have the artist shown and the clicking the artist folder would then list all their albums (not tracks that were on compilation albums etc.)

This is what I would like JRiver to be able to do but can't seem to get it to do it (probably me being thick)
In my frustration I found a program called Album player that does exactly what I want but I want to do that in J River.
I have attached careen shot to show what I'm talking about.

Many thanks for taking time to read my ramblings but I like to try to explain exactly what I'm after if possible.
Regards
Aquatarkus

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Getting confused and frustrated trying to set up Album View
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 03:24:23 pm »

The default views, both Standard and Theater, would provide what you're asking.  Since they are not, it implies the files are not properly tagged.  You're using the file system as the basis for organization.  That's fine, but MC wants more.

Use the Fill Properties from Filename tool to selectively pull Artist and Album from your filename path.  Once filled, the organization will make more sense.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

aquatarkus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:39:26 pm »

Thanks for the quick response

I use Tag & Rename and MP3 tag to tag all my albums,
please see attached screen shot from Tag & Rename am I doing it wrong (not unusual)

Thanks

Aquatarkus

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:07:00 pm »

That looks fine.

What are you actually getting in MC18, and in what way is it not right ?

psam

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:41:06 am »

Two points:

1) Bear in mind that fields

Artist
Album Artist
Album Artist (auto)

are different one from another.

Check the tags from the MC18 interface, Action Window lower left corner, ---> Tag ---> Show tags with values....

Some Views start with Album Artist instead of Artist, and if these fields are not set in a uniform manner throughout your library, you may be getting inconsistent results.

2) Are you sure you want some kind of an album View? Album View is supposed to display all your Albums, regardless of artists.... It even sorts them by Album name by default. I am only using such views for maintenance purposes, making sure all albums have a proper cover and so on.

Your description reminds me more of an Artist View, with first category Artist and second Album...

csimon

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 04:04:10 am »

Your tags look OK. Check your Theater View configuration that it has a view with the categories Album Artist followed by Album.

aquatarkus

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 09:20:29 am »

Thanks very much for the helpful replies.

Will be trying out sugestions this evening, just one more question to do with tagging my files.

When using tag & Rename there is the following option
Copy "Artist Data" into Album Artists tag field while importing
this doesn't always seem to work for compelation albums with various artists, some times it tags it "Album Artist" i then change this to the actual artist name, so that a various artist compelation album could end up with 25 different artists, is this correct?

many thanks for your help

Regards
Aquatarkus

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 10:15:53 am »

album artist field is only used if the cd your tagging has multiple artist different for each song.
if the entire album is by the same artist ther is no real need to use it.

album artist could be for example "various artist" to prevent to get your list of artist filled with artists that have just 1 song.
also if an album is an colaboration or compilation you might want to choose the dominant artist while providing the per track info in the "artist" tag

Pages: [1]   Go Up