INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track Name Lookup Broken In Recorder?  (Read 15648 times)

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
Track Name Lookup Broken In Recorder?
« on: January 18, 2013, 06:50:42 pm »

I realize that this is a somewhat obscure function, but I would like to use it. On first search the dialog box is slow enough that I can read most of it. It seems to indicate that it is searching YADB. The second dialog pops up with "No Matches Found". In subsequent searches the first dialog flashes by then is replaced by the second. I've tried some pretty common names, dylan, prince, madonna, but no luck. Does this work for anyone else? CD lookup works fine. Currently using 17.0.186...

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Track Name Lookup Broken In Recorder
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 01:50:07 am »

I don't think there is much track info submitted for ripped tracks.  The CD database seems very good.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 07:25:16 am »

Perhaps, but since the first message says "Searching YADB" or something to that effect, it suggests to me that it's using the same database for both types of look-up, just a different search algorithm. Both look-ups need the same info, so two separate databases shouldn't be necessary.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 01:16:02 pm »

Each method use different algorithms with different time factors that produce different values.

CD lookup is based on a value very quickly calculated from the physical CD itself.

Track lookup requires per-song analysis that takes a long time, and very few users do this or submit their data.  Hence, few matching results.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 02:16:12 pm »

Maybe, but based on the parameters you input to the track look-up, Album Title and/or Artist I wouldn't think it's doing it on a track by track basis. If I input an album title, "Blood On The Tracks" it will search YADB to find that album and when it does it should populate the track list with the track info already associated with that album, regardless of how it was entered into YADB. Same as a CD look-up, the only difference is that it is searching YADB by the album title you input rather than the UPC or catalog code it read from the CD.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 02:27:48 pm »

How would you handle the album release variations, where 1 album may have the same name but 10 variations, with different numbers of tracks, varying track orders, varying track length or re-mixing or revisions, or extra tracks due to international release differences?

The CD id gets you this information pretty reliably.  A single track or album name is a 1 to n relationship.

I think it is more complex than you're suggesting.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 02:41:29 pm »

As best as I can tell, the search results dialog (in the Recorder tool) has a drop down in the event multiple matches (album or artist) are found and you can choose the best match. I guess I'm not convinced that the track look-up is based soley on info people have manually input, if you know for sure that it works that way then I would agree with your conclusion.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
Re: Track Name Lookup Broken In Recorder?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 12:04:09 pm »

Has anyone successfully looked up any tracks with this function?
If so, what artist/album was it?

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up